2018-2019 Around the league thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Cody would be great on TV...but for some reason whenever he was talking near Peter McNab (when he sits on the end of the bench), poor Pete's mic would get muted. I wonder why....:naughty:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'll never forget this McLeod moment...

RegalMarriedBandicoot.gif

And for the lolz

veilleaux-nom-nom.gif

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Highlander seems to be the kind of guy who ends up in the NHL safety department. They seem to like having the goonish bu not super dirty types.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Speaking of Carolina, I nearly forgot that they hired Brind'amour as their head coach. Wasn't Waddell a temporary solution also? What the hell are they doing? They are the US version of Ottawa.

On semi-related news, Mark Hunter is available starting tomorrow. Possibly heading to Long Island but who knows.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Speaking of Carolina, I nearly forgot that they hired Brind'amour as their head coach. Wasn't Waddell a temporary solution also? What the hell are they doing? They are the US version of Ottawa.

On semi-related news, Mark Hunter is available starting tomorrow. Possibly heading to Long Island but who knows.

I listened to former Maple Leafs asst. GM Dave Poulin a couple weeks ago on NHL Radio, he said it was Dundon's intention to "take the power back" so to speak. Felt that with the scarcity of bridge deals and what not that players were really in charge at the negotiation table. This would help explain why talks between Elias Lindholm's camp and the team grew contentious and eventually led to a trade.

And it doesn't sound like Dundon wanted to pay much for a GM, nor did he want to concede too much authority. We'll see what happens...they have a young coach, a decent young core, a pretty talented blueline, and a potential franchise player in Svechnikov. So far IMO Waddell has been okay, this team already looks a lot better (at least on paper) than it did under Ron Francis. In Waddell's defense, he worked for an ownership group in Atlanta that was busy suing the crap out of itself, which limited him severely in what kinds of deals he could offer to pending free agents. Doesn't excuse everything wrong that happened but there's a possibility he's not as bad as his stint with the Thrashers made him look.

I think as a general rule fans should be concerned about owners who seemingly go out of their way to be a public face. Melnyk, Katz, Pegula, Dundon all seem similar to a certain degree in my eyes. Conversely, I honestly forgot what Jeff Vinik (Tampa) even looks like, I don't think I've ever even heard the guy speak. The Kroenkes, for all their flaws, seem more like that. Of course it's not a hard and fast rule...Aquilini is a pretty low-profile guy and he's an AWFUL owner.

Reactions: MarkT and Balthazar

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Eh, good for him, I never had a problem with him as a player, I just thought the Avs were dumb giving him and Malkin/Stuart/Holden three year deals in 2014. And all of those contracts ended up being mistakes.

Rangers are rebuilding, so keeping him around as your 13th forward/locker room guy should be fine. I hope he finds work in hockey and sticks around after his playing career is over in some capacity.

Man those were dark, dark days. I remember being infuriated by all of those deals including the Guenin extension (except the McLeod one)

member 116861

Man those were dark, dark days. I remember being infuriated by all of those deals including the Guenin extension (except the McLeod one)

I was more frustrated when O'Brien, Hunwick (still love him forever), and someone else shitty were getting 3 year extensions.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com

It can't be understated just how disastrous an offseason that was. They seemingly made every wrong move they could, at the draft, in free agency, re-upping their own players, you name it.

I was more frustrated when O'Brien, Hunwick (still love him forever), and someone else ****ty were getting 3 year extensions.

I still believe Sakic's push to sign all those marginal players to cheap, but unnecessary multi-year deals came right out of the Greg Sherman playbook. Sherman had no concept of "replacement level" and never figured out that those kinds of players are quite easy to find. It appears Sakic might have learned that the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->