2018-2019 Around the league thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Bouchard won't fix that D by himself, and won't even be an impact player for at least a year or two.

And it's Chia we're talking about here, the most vulnerable GM in the league to a Sakic-style shellacking. Dumb, value-shedding blockbusters are his bread and butter.

RNH would be the absolute perfect center behind MacKinnon. He may not be the guy he was hoped to be when he was drafted but he is a damn good top 6 C and is signed for three more years. Edmonton adds, but IMO not nearly as much as you'd think.
Since Tyson Barrie's first full season in the NHL, his PPG is 0.63. RNH's career PPG is 0.68. His defensive game is ok, but not what it should be for a player as smart as he is. He's also still very weak on the puck.

Not knocking RNH as a player, but I think Barrie is a HELL of a lot more valuable putting up those numbers from the back end than RNH is putting up those numbers at centre. I also don't believe RNH is a guy that brings up the play of his linemates. I like RNH a lot, but not for Barrie. That "+" would have to be rather large for me personally.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Since Tyson Barrie's first full season in the NHL, his PPG is 0.63. RNH's career PPG is 0.68. His defensive game is ok, but not what it should be for a player as smart as he is. He's also still very weak on the puck.

Not knocking RNH as a player, but I think Barrie is a HELL of a lot more valuable putting up those numbers from the back end than RNH is putting up those numbers at centre. I also don't believe RNH is a guy that brings up the play of his linemates. I like RNH a lot, but not for Barrie. That "+" would have to be rather large for me personally.
I think his defensive game is better than you describe, but it's fair to say that he isn't as strong as he should be with the puck. He's not flashy, but I do like his offensive game too, he doesn't get nearly enough credit around the league IMO.

Now, Sakic probably COULD get a bigger plus out of Chia than I would think is fair, but that would just be gravy. Not sure it would be a high first, but something.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Maybe Edmonton's GM will get desperate and will call Sakic to see if Barrie is available. I would certainly take the German or R.N.H plus pick for Barrie.

The chances of Barrie getting traded were probably slim earlier in the offseason and now I'd guess it's close to zero.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Terrible news for a team that needed help on defense even before this.

Tough break. He missed a bunch of time last year with a torn ACL from the playoffs a couple years ago too. At 32 those are tough injuries to come back 100% from.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Nail Yakupov is playing in a friendly against Jokerit today on a line with Nikita Gusev and Pavel Datsyuk. So tune in Finns (on VeikkausTV), for thrilling First Line Nail Yakupov action! He'll be banging bodies non-stop!

Sponsored by NecrophiliaJokes.com.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokecheque

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Nail Yakupov is playing in a friendly against Jokerit today on a line with Nikita Gusev and Pavel Datsyuk. So tune in Finns (on VeikkausTV), for thrilling First Line Nail Yakupov action! He'll be banging bodies non-stop!

Sponsored by NecrophiliaJokes.com.
Update: Yakupov has scored.

Reactions: dahrougem2

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
You know what the NHL needs? Giant condom ads on the blueline.

DkzGWOKUwAA1IUU.jpg:small

Reactions: RockLobster

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Did they pick a photo of him falling on the right??? :laugh:

I was thinking the same thing. Reminds me of the time the Avs did their pregame video that introduced all the players and the only highlight they had of Ryan O'Byrne was of him getting up after falling down they just played back and forth really fast. :laugh:

Reactions: ASmileyFace
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce