2018-2019 Around the league thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Oh boy...if ever there was an organization going out of their way to ruin a relationship with a player, it's Montreal with Max Pacioretty. The latest slap wasn't even necessary.
What happened? You posted no link or anything.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What happened? You posted no link or anything.

I don't have a link, wasn't sure if I already talked about it elsewhere, but my Habs fan friend informed me that Julien, Bergevin, and Molson are skipping Max's annual charity golf tournament. It's like, FFS, swallow your goddamn egos, it's for a good cause.

For those who said Sakic mishandled the Duchene situation (and I was one of those people), see Exhibit A.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Man I miss cheap ice time.

But on topic (or closer anyhow), I bet we see and Asian born and trained (early training...teen years and later will have to be NA/Eur) within the next 10 years. Two consecutive winter Olympics out here are building interest in the sport, and more and more rinks are being built. Not all NHL or International size, and some may not have glass....but it is a start. And as we convince more pros to come out for summer holidays and charity stuff and camps, it will make a big difference.
You can get a dozen guys at $10 bucks a piece and rent the stadium ice for an hour here , and if you're the last group of the night they'll let u have 1.5 hr

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Camps with high level coaches and pros cost big money. Plus high end gear can set you back $1500 a year (for kids that out-grow it that quick), not including sticks. And regular ice fees, club fees, etc. for local stuff. Then travel...gas, hotel, restaurants, etc.

Hell, in my one year as a hockey dad/coach, I blew over a grand on gas and hotels...for a 4 year old. Add to that club fees (which included ice time 2x/week and gear...loaners for every kid that needed). And that was at the rink I would pay $10 for 90min shinny, so cheap.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't have a link, wasn't sure if I already talked about it elsewhere, but my Habs fan friend informed me that Julien, Bergevin, and Molson are skipping Max's annual charity golf tournament. It's like, FFS, swallow your goddamn egos, it's for a good cause.

For those who said Sakic mishandled the Duchene situation (and I was one of those people), see Exhibit A.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ya I know they're different but are both #4's respectively

Barrie's a #4!? That's news to me, but I'm not gonna get into semantics here. One guy is a solid two-way defender, the other is an almost pure puckmover. The only thing they both have in common is an effective shot from the point (Ellis probably has the better of the two).

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
That's an oddly specific number, in a "I kept track of everything so you can pay me back" kind of way.

That said, 290k is the price of a decent house around here. Certainly not every family that can afford to invest that kind of money on their kid.
Yeah strange , I know the hockey schools and power skating lessons and travel cost lots $ but weird he wrote down all the tape and skates sharpening lmao.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

1unhdx.jpg

Ah...thank you for the clarification. I shall inform my friend immediately.

Reactions: Balthazar

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Barrie's a #4!? That's news to me, but I'm not gonna get into semantics here. One guy is a solid two-way defender, the other is an almost pure puckmover. The only thing they both have in common is an effective shot from the point (Ellis probably has the better of the two).
Ok #3 to #4s but they both are around the same size and soft . Both can run pp etc. For the record I prefer Barrie

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
That's an oddly specific number, in a "I kept track of everything so you can pay me back" kind of way.

That said, 290k is the price of a decent house around here. Certainly not every family that can afford to invest that kind of money on their kid.
Sounds like another odd father , I'm sure he got reimbursed . :laugh:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ok #3 to #4s but they both are around the same size and soft . Both can run pp etc. For the record I prefer Barrie

Soft? Neither of them are soft, certainly not Ellis.

And they may be around the same height, I don't really think they're the same size though. Ellis is actually listed as a lighter weight than Barrie but I think that's horseshit, Ellis is built like a tank. Barrie isn't super easy to knock down but he doesn't play the same way at all. I just don't think they're comparable.

BTW...does Ellis really "run" their power play? I thought Josi and Subban did. Ellis is there obviously to fire one-timers from the point but I didn't think he QB'd it at all.

Last edited:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Ellis is actually listed as a lighter weight than Barrie but I think that's horse****

I don't think it is. It doesn't reflect on his play but Barrie is so much bigger than we think he is. Every post game interview in the locker room I'm surprised by how jacked he is.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I can't talk about money for competitive teams, but in my post I mentioned that when you get good for any single type of sport those competitive teams tend to cost the same regardless on what activity it is. However, I admit that hockey parents probably pay sooner than parents of other sports. Majority of these posts I am reading are all from the 1990s and what not which was a brutal time for hockey expenses, but I've noticed that the prices are going down thanks to companies like All Black Hockey Sticks - Hockey Sticks Just Became Affordable and Bauer/CCM making multiple options for their brands and items.

I just can't see hockey falling, I actually think it has quite high potential since majority of countries don't know about it at the grassroot level yet. If hockey actually got its arse in cheque and started marketing the sport properly, more people will choose it during their kid days, more kids will create more companies for equipment, more competition of equipment will reduce the costs for equipment. Again, all you people are saying hockey will fail due to its expenses, but why not golf? It's just as remote in terms of playing, tee time, and whatnot than hockey is.
Not saying there will stop being hockey stars, because there most likely always will be. But the sport in general will likely get overtaken by soccer and basketball in Canada in a matter of years. I played hockey up until 2011, so the costs are relatively up-do-date. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they've increased since then.

If a parent believes his/her child has NHL potential, or even junior potential, he/she isn't going to spend cheaply on equipment. That kid is in all likelihood getting top-of-the-line equipment in order to help them achieve the NHL dream. But when it gets to lower level players, you have to start to wonder as a parent if it's really worth it to shell out, say, $1,000-$1,500 for recreational hockey or shell out $500 for soccer/basketball/whatever in comparison to hockey.

Stars will always exist, but the sport in general very likely will see a decline if prices continue to increase.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think it is. It doesn't reflect on his play but Barrie is so much bigger than we think he is. Every post game interview in the locker room I'm surprised by how jacked he is.
Ya Barrie is bigger and about .5 inch to an inch taller as well.
Ellis is hurt all the time , don't think his body will hold up. I could see him be an expansion draft deal

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Terrible news for a team that needed help on defense even before this.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
"RNH + pick" absolutely not unless that's a high, high 1st.

I don't know if this is actually bad for the Oilers. Granted, they don't have the greatest defence corps in the world to begin with but Sekera was baddddddd last year. Really bad, and now with this achilles tear his career as a top-4 defenseman is probably over. He'll be 33 by the time he likely gets healthy and then actually getting back out there and performing will take a lot of time, too.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Don't see the Oilers paying a high price for Barrie with Bouchard in the pipeline.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Don't see the Oilers paying a high price for Barrie with Bouchard in the pipeline.
Bouchard won't fix that D by himself, and won't even be an impact player for at least a year or two.

And it's Chia we're talking about here, the most vulnerable GM in the league to a Sakic-style shellacking. Dumb, value-shedding blockbusters are his bread and butter.
"RNH + pick" absolutely not unless that's a high, high 1st.
RNH would be the absolute perfect center behind MacKinnon. He may not be the guy he was hoped to be when he was drafted but he is a damn good top 6 C and is signed for three more years. Edmonton adds, but IMO not nearly as much as you'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad