2018-19 Utica Comets

Status
Not open for further replies.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The signing of Wacey Hamilton to a two year AHL contract proves that Ryan Johnson and Jim Benning are cut from the same cloth. JB signs Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel to multi year contracts because he wants veterans that are good in the room and hard to play against. RJ signs Hamilton to a two year AHL contract because he is good in the room and hard to play against.

They both value the same kind of players and they both limit roster flexibility by doing so. Benning clogs up the 50 man contract limit and salary cap hits. Johnson ties up 2 of 5 AHL veteran slots with Wacey Hamilton and Carter Bancks.

Reactions: go comets

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
The re-signing of Wacey Hamilton is pathetic. Gets front line center opportunities and produces very little. (like 26 goals in the last 4 years - averaging to something over 6 goals a year). His puck distribution skills make Sutter look like the second coming of Gretzky. He can do nothing off the rush and gets what offense he does off broken plays and the forecheck. Wouldn't be out of place in the ECHL.

Basically he is a pest and agitator. But much of this is grandstanding to cover up for not doing much elsewhere and often leads to criminally bad penalties. Gives of this aura of being this guy willing to do anything but ends up doing very little.

You can see how Johnson would like Hamilton. Johnson was a no talent himself (3 goals in his last 130 games with the Canucks) but he was always making the big dramatic shot block (like wow look at him give up his body) and, I guess, had a good schtick in the dressing room. Had the reputation of a character player and survived on that to stick around in the NHL. However, he was very fringe as a player.

Seems like the Canucks (and especially Linden) put a real emphasis on this type of so-called character player and keep them around even if they produce little. And so Johnson, in turn. keeps someone like Hamilton. Be nice if the team instead concentrated on ability and obtained players that could contribute more in the actual games. There are certainly way better options than Hamilton out there.

The only silver lining here is that Hamilton will, per usual, get quickly hurt and spend much of the season on the injury reserve. Can then sit back and live off Aquilini's dough.

Bancks re-signing is ok as long as he is kept in a lower line checking role.

It is too bad the Canucks can't do better than this as the Comets have an opportunity to be decent this year. Are going to probably get most of the following

Leipsic
Motte
Kero
Gaunce
Gaudette/Gagner
Dahlin
Granlund
Lind
Jasek
Gadjovich
MacEwen
Palmu
Boucher
Carcone
Archibald

Also have the core of decent defense in players like Brisebois. McEneny, Chatfield, Sautner and maybe someone like Pouliot or Joulevi.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The signing of Wacey Hamilton to a two year AHL contract proves that Ryan Johnson and Jim Benning are cut from the same cloth. JB signs Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel to multi year contracts because he wants veterans that are good in the room and hard to play against. RJ signs Hamilton to a two year AHL contract because he is good in the room and hard to play against.

They both value the same kind of players and they both limit roster flexibility by doing so. Benning clogs up the 50 man contract limit and salary cap hits. Johnson ties up 2 of 5 AHL veteran slots with Wacey Hamilton and Carter Bancks.

I was really hoping they get rid of Bancks and Hamilton or at least Hamilton. I wonder if the Esche group has anything to do with these signings. Having known players return does help sell tickets and or jerseys.

Ryan Johnson was a 4th line character player in his day so I wouldn't be surprised if he values work ethic and leadership on the team.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Frustrating as all hell for comets fans, and probably some Canucks fans.

Johnson said in an interview that they have to be careful that the veteran players they sign will not take ice time away from the young talent.

How can you develop all those young wingers without a center to distribute the puck??

How are Bancks and Hamilton not going to take ice time away from young talent on penalty Killing or checking line duties??

Apparently the Canucks thought process is extremely flawed. They would have been better off signing one offensive center and one checking line forward and still allow young players to work into those rolls.

The only other explanation is that they are planning on sending Gaudette or Pettersson down.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I was really hoping they get rid of Bancks and Hamilton or at least Hamilton. I wonder if the Esche group has anything to do with these signings. Having known players return does help sell tickets and or jerseys.

Ryan Johnson was a 4th line character player in his day so I wouldn't be surprised if he values work ethic and leadership on the team.
Esche doesn't have any say in Hockey opps and believe me Hamilton and Bancks don't drive ticket sales. Archibald is popular enough to drive ticket sales and Esche sat back and watched Vancouver kick him to the curb in 2016 when he wasn't even offered an AHL contract. Arch had to start the season in KZoo on an ECHL contract before eventually rejoining the Comets on a PTO.

Reactions: F A N and go comets

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Simple questions.
1. If Archibald has signed why is there nothing to confirm it? The contract has not been posted on CapFriendly every other Canucks contract signed is there.

2. What is it taking Jake so long to sign/accept his qualifying offer? Can he actually be quibbling over numbers?

3. Ditto for Stecher?

EDIT - Archi's contract has not been released, but CapFriendly now lists him at minimum $650,000 until such time as Vancouver updates them on the exacts.

Re-edit - Archi 2-way. $650,000/$250,000.

Last edited:

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Bancks and Hamilton. Except for Demko, coming off the 2 most uninspiring years in Mohawk Valley the past 70 years. This hockey management group continues to astound me, althouth, it shouldn't.

I could have live with Bancks for a year but Hamilton makes one throw up when he is on the ice.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I think the time has come for Trev and Jimbo to haul ass back to Alberta and maybe raise some cattle or something. And they can take their can't really play AHL signings back there with them. What a farce.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The report now is it's one year, 650 at the NHL level, 250 in the Ahl. Details in the Archibald thread.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The Comets have signed 25 year old forward (W/C) Brendan Bradley to a one year contract. He spent most of last season with the Kalamazoo Wings, scoring 15 goals and 38 assists in 73 games. He clearly isn't going to be a #1 playmaking center this AHL season.

I'd guess he's intended to be signed for depth for the Comets when injuries hit and that he'll play most of the season in Kalamazoo again.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
well if we have a guy named b bradley in the system again, the rebuild is going to have to wait for the expansion draft.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Tanner MacMaster (22 yrs-old) - signed to 1-yr contract 5/16 Non Vet
Jagger Dirk (25 yrs-old) - signed to 1-yr contract 5/16 Non Vet
Carter Bancks (28 yrs-0ld) - signed to 2-yr contract on May, 31 AHL Vet
Dylan Blujus (24 yrs-old) - signed to 1-yr contract 6/7 Non Vet
Vincent Arseneau (26 yrs-old) - signed to 1-yr contract 6/7 Non Vet
Cameron Darcy (yrs-old) - signed to 1-yr contract 6/19 Non Vet
Wacey Hamilton (27 yrs-old) - signed to 2-yr contract 7/2 AHL Vet
Brendan Bradley (yrs-old) - signed to 1-yr contract 7/3 Non Vet
Jaime Sifers (35 yrs-old) - entering the 2nd of a 2-yr contract AHL Vet

Let's see today was July 3rd and the Comets already have 9 players under AHL contracts. What does this mean? I believe they are making sure when the injury disease hits again this season that ECHL Kalamazoo has a supply already under contract to draw from. Once Vancouver makes their cuts and any other players may be acquired specifically for the Comets (I'm not holding my breath, but a number 1 D-man and #1 center do not yet exist at this point. Could this, the 4th yr without, be the year?) there will be way more guys here than the Comets will carry and they will likely be assigned to Kalamazoo. They may also find other ECHL teams for some guys because should the time arise that large numbers are needed at one time Kalamazoo wouldn't be stripped of half of its team. Last season the Comets played as many as 9 PTOs in one game. The Comets couldn't take that many guys from the Zoo at one time so loaning them around the ECHL would make more sense.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Hamilton must be a really good locker room guy because I’ve seen him play and honestly have to agree with everyone says he doesn’t get much done when he’s on the ice.

Reactions: UticaHockey

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Scanning the Canucks training camp roster and potential for the opening night lineup, I think there's a strong possibility that Boucher, Archibald and Gaunce all end up on waivers, and back in Utica if they clear. That would go a long away towards addressing the holes at center, in scoring and in the veteran 'grit' factor.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i keep seeing lind in various utica lists, but is he eligible for the ahl this season as a 2017 draft pick?

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Scanning the Canucks training camp roster and potential for the opening night lineup, I think there's a strong possibility that Boucher, Archibald and Gaunce all end up on waivers, and back in Utica if they clear. That would go a long away towards addressing the holes at center, in scoring and in the veteran 'grit' factor.

True - I would add Tanner Kero (waivers required) and (no waivers required) Juolevi, Gaudette, Dahlen.

Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu and Dipietro will also start with the Comets - but expectations should me more tempered as they adjust to the AHL.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
True - I would add Tanner Kero (waivers required) and (no waivers required) Juolevi, Gaudette, Dahlen.

Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu and Dipietro will also start with the Comets - but expectations should me more tempered as they adjust to the AHL.
DiPietro can't play in the AHL this season except for the end of the year after his junior season ends.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Yes, and Tyler Motte is exempt from waivers, so will definitely be sent to Utica....that's the makings of a pretty impressive forward group with lots of AHL experience. Now they may need just a veteran d-man...but even that may not be necessary if Chatfield and Brisebois can take the next step in their development.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Yes, and Tyler Motte is exempt from waivers, so will definitely be sent to Utica....that's the makings of a pretty impressive forward group with lots of AHL experience. Now they may need just a veteran d-man...but even that may not be necessary if Chatfield and Brisebois can take the next step in their development.

I agree. Hopefully injuries don't decimate both the Canucks and Comets to the same extent as the last couple of years.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
yep

out----------------------in
Chaput------------Gaudette
Goldobin----------Dahlen
Megna-------------Jasek
Cassels-------------Kero
Labate------------Gadjovich
Molino------------Palmu
D'Aoust-----------Lind
ECHL call ups-----Motte
Weircioch----------Juolevi

while there will be some learning curve you have to admit thats a nice upgrade in skill and potential. Hopefully Van doesn't get decimated by injuries this year and you guys can enjoy what should be a very good team

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Running down the Vancouver players to get a feel for who can actually end up in Utica and who is more of a pipe dream.

Horvat ($5,500,000)
Eriksson ($6,000,000)
Sutter ($4,375,000)
Baertschi ($3,666,666)
Gagner ($3,150,000)
Roussel ($3,000,000)
Beagle ($3,000,000)
Schaller $1,900,000)
Boeser ($925,000/$70,000) Ha, Ha! Like he's ever going to get assigned to the AHL part of that contract.
Granlund ($1,475,000
Gaunce ($750,000)
Leipsic ($650,000)
Virtanen hanging out in the breeze after he received a qualifying offer. I get the feeling his contract may be a 2-way and he's not liking that at all.

For all intents and purposes that's 13 forwards on one-way contracts because Boeser is not getting sent down.

Still in that NHL mix are:
Pettersson ($925,000/$70,000) He will be given every chance to make that roster above.

Goldobin ($832,500/$70,000) Goldy is the question mark. He has to make the team this year or he will get passed by. To do that he has to get the chance to play himself on or off the roster. That has always been Green's means of making his decision on a player.

Gaudette ($916,666/$70,000) A major portion of HF posters want him on the roster, but they don't make the decisions. I think his likelihood of being in Utica or Vancouver is 50/50. If he plays as he did at the end of last season he will be in Utica. If his game proves to be more productive in preseason, they will have a problem on their hands.

Boucher ($725,000/$300,000) I think he had his shot with 2 NHL teams now and he will be waived and they will pray no other NHL team finds his AHL game to be transferable to the NHL. He might still be a call-up at some point.

Archibald ($650,000/$250,000) The new acquisitions will make Archi a Comet if again, providing no other NHL team thinks he is worth taking an instant NHL roster spot.

Motte and Kero - Some may argue for Motte and others for Kero. Motte is waiver exempt, but I don't see him unseating any of the 13 above let alone Pettersson. Kero is not waiver free. Kero has not put up the kind of #s in his 72 NHL games over 3 years that would have an NHL team itching to put him on their NHL roster at the season's opening roster final cut. Thus, I see Kero passing through waivers
and both assigned to Utica at the final cuts if not sooner.

So in order for any of these 7 guys to make the Canucks, someone on that list of 13 has to be waived or traded. Another angle is for the Canucks to change philosophy and keep 14 forwards and 7 D-men instead of their 13/8 pattern of the past. That would allow for one more without rocking the 13.

Pettersson will be there on either decision.

I find Leipsic, Gaunce, and Granlund as the most likely guys to be bumped and that would mean a trade or risk losing them for nothing on waivers.

Granlund just got a nice bump in salary, but it was only a 1-yr contract.
Gaunce just doesn't put up points in spite of being a defensive juggernaut.
Leipsic was acquired at the TDL and risking losing him before he even starts a season isn't Benning's M.O.

I think they'll keep 13 forwards and 8 D. The only move will be to waive Gaunce to send him down and keep Pettersson.

On D there will be up to 10 to have to deal with if Stecher accepts his qualifying offer, Juolevi is given every chance to stick, and Hughes signs. Hughes and Juolevi can be sent down without any potential consequence. I think it's 50/50 on Hughes going back to school to play with his brother for a season.
One of the current 8 is likely to be traded and Biega would be the guy waived which would suck because he is at least the least the 5th best D-man in the bunch and should still survive both Hughes and Juolevi making the roster. Without a trade I think you might see both Juolevi and Hughes start in Utica. Hughes has already intonated that the AHL could be his beginning. Not sure how Olli's ego would take it.

So based on this I can put together a semblance of who will be in Utica with a side list of the certainly might be. That's my next post. Not tonight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad