2018-19 Utica Comets

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually, Nic Dowd would be a decent center signing for Utica, if the Canucks could get him on a two-way contract. Helped the old Manchester Monarchs win a Calder Cup a few years back and always reasonably productive at the AHL level.

Prospect Development Camp next week. Future Comets Gadjovich, Lind and Palmu will be interesting to monitor.

Reactions: lindgren and F A N

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Actually, Nic Dowd would be a decent center signing for Utica, if the Canucks could get him on a two-way contract. Helped the old Manchester Monarchs win a Calder Cup a few years back and always reasonably productive at the AHL level.

Prospect Development Camp next week. Future Comets Gadjovich, Lind and Palmu will be interesting to monitor.
Dowd would be nice to have in Utica, but assuming he will clear waivers is taking a bit of a risk.

There could be some teams who think he's a NHL quality player for no other reason than that he played in the NHL for the past two seasons. Regardless of how awful he was with the Canucks.

Like @F A N suggested, Ben Street would be a good option. High quality AHL center who you don't have to worry at all about clearing waivers. Hopefully he feels some connection to his hometown Canucks.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Don't know how Kero will work out in the AHL. He thru a hissy fit last season when the Blackhawks demoted him to the AHL telling reporters he can play in the NHL. Probably the main reason Chicago moved him for nothing.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
So, am I hearing we have a cry baby who says I belong in the NHL while having no other option if sent down? Yet, he's failed to prove he belonged there in his previous opportunities.

Instead of working his ass off to prove he is NHL ready, will he be like Jensen in 2013-14 who pouted for several months after being cut to the Comets? He played a selfish one man game to prove how good he was, while only further revealing his weaknesses and falling farther down the depth chart. It took him so long to get back on track, that when he finally was playing well he had worn out his welcome in Vancouver and got traded for another Benning reclamation project who also failed miserably, Etem.

At least this one can't book for Europe with an out clause provided by the master builder.

Perhaps a case of failure to seek out the real answers for a trade offer. Perhaps Chicago pulled a fast one on Vancouver. They rid themselves of a bad attitude and gain a little cap space by not signing the guy they traded for. Hasn't the topic of "poor attitudes" (e.g. McCann, Jensen, and Prust) surfaced with the Canucks in the recent past? Now, they may possibly have traded for another one.

We don't actually have any idea if this will come to be, but it will be interesting to follow. While some posters seem to think Kero was acquired for the Canucks in the first place, the majority of followers believe he was simply a trade off for Chaput without taking up a veteran spot in Utica. I think he is supposed to be just like Chaput, play in the AHL and be of call-up help when needed. His history doesn't even show him to be a #1 AHL center.

Oh well, another mini drama to follow as the season gets underway.

Last edited:

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Kero remained on the roster for the next 10 games, but he was placed on waivers then assigned to Rockford on Dec. 8 as the Hawks called up Vinnie Hinostroza.
Kero admitted the move surprised him.
"I know I can play at that level," Kero said before the IceHogs' 6-2 loss to the Chicago Wolves at the Allstate Arena on Saturday. "When I found out I was coming down here, obviously I wasn't too happy about it.
"But at the same time you never know when you're going to get that chance again. So I just had to try to be positive and come down here with the right attitude."

Hawks' Kero doing best to battle way back to big club

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Utica posters are so overdramatic.

Yeah, he wasn't thrilled about being sent to the minors. Big deal.
Utica posters are so overdramatic.

Yeah, he wasn't thrilled about being sent to the minors. Big deal.

You should note I stated we have no idea how this will play out. The "mini drama" was sarcastic as I don't think this is anything to worry about right now.

Note, I basically asked questions or posed maybes as we don't have any idea.

We have seen both sides of this type of issue down here. The cry baby pouters (Jensen and Clendening) the totally depressed "My career is in the tank." (LaBate), and the nose to the grind stone I will get better and they, or at least someone else, will have to notice me (Corrado, Archibald, Zalewski, Baertschi). Jake had some time acting out all three of these reactions when demoted in 16-17, but actually revealed the last the longest. His after lunch, afternoon,only guy on the ice sessions were actually quite amazing. The guy did a 100% reversal of attitude and his team mates went from totally ignoring his practice effort to get them to join him in immature practice antics and feeling no sympathy for him when Green subjected him to end of practice bag skates while the rest of the guys just did blue line to blue line length of the ice sprints to fully supporting his on ice work efforts and eventually officially accepted him into the fold by joining him in his last bag skate session as a show of solidarity. What many of the Vancouver posters see as a sure NHL player, even if not top 6, is totally the result of Green and what he did to eliminate the kid's smug aura of entitlement and create the urge to fight for what he wanted as he finally came to grips with the reality it wasn't going to be gifted to him.

I don't know where Kero will fit and I said as much. I hope he is assigned to the Comets and is a great #2 center. His history in pro hockey points to that role at this level. A desire to become an NHL player should motivate him to produce at this highest possible level. That can only be a good thing for all involved. If he has attitude problems, he will be gone when his contract runs out at the end of this season or sooner. Cull won't suffer fools and he knows exactly how to pencil a player in or out of the lineup. It will work out either way.

It does create a topic for a short conversation in the lull between now and all the free agency, off season trade market, and upcoming camps.

Oh, and don't talk to us about being overdramatic. I know you are part of some of the most dramatic threads online with some of the Vancouver spats currently being carried on page after page after page after page, ad infinitum. LOL

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
for kero having a wife and infant child it is undoubtedly tough to be living out of a suitcase. remembering back to that era, he'd probably be better off mentally if he stayed in utica all season and slept at home most of the time.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
for kero having a wife and infant child it is undoubtedly tough to be living out of a suitcase. remembering back to that era, he'd probably be better off mentally if he stayed in utica all season and slept at home most of the time.

It's something to consider, but not the way an NHL team runs it's business and deals with tweeners. He and his family are going to have to call one location home and work within the call-ups and demotions if that's how it plays out. If I had to guess, I'd say he will be in Utica to start.

There are other player's wives in town, some with kids and some without, who will take her into their circle. Also Esche, Cull, and the rest of the Comets organization will all be on hand to help out in any way they can to make their transition to the community be as smooth as possible.

The Comets are a family. You can ask any newcomer to this team for a comment on that and you will get the same answer. Most hockey teams are like that anyways, but this community is so much smaller and easier to adjust to than a major metropolis. Spending a little time with hubby away is easier for most in a tighter community than the big cities where nobody knows and most don't really care who you are. It's just so much easier to meet your needs when hubby is away.

If he gets a big time promotion, it's not likely to happen this season so Utica will be a small, friendly, welcoming community for his wife and infant child to, temporarily at least, become comfortable calling home. That very issue played into the reason Bachie was so happy to get an extension to play here for the next 2 seasons. He has talked openly about it. They really enjoy living here.

Reactions: krutovsdonut

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You should note I stated we have no idea how this will play out. The "mini drama" was sarcastic as I don't think this is anything to worry about right now.

Note, I basically asked questions or posed maybes as we don't have any idea.

We have seen both sides of this type of issue down here. The cry baby pouters (Jensen and Clendening) the totally depressed "My career is in the tank." (LaBate), and the nose to the grind stone I will get better and they, or at least someone else, will have to notice me (Corrado, Archibald, Zalewski, Baertschi). Jake had some time acting out all three of these reactions when demoted in 16-17, but actually revealed the last the longest. His after lunch, afternoon,only guy on the ice sessions were actually quite amazing. The guy did a 100% reversal of attitude and his team mates went from totally ignoring his practice effort to get them to join him in immature practice antics and feeling no sympathy for him when Green subjected him to end of practice bag skates while the rest of the guys just did blue line to blue line length of the ice sprints to fully supporting his on ice work efforts and eventually officially accepted him into the fold by joining him in his last bag skate session as a show of solidarity. What many of the Vancouver posters see as a sure NHL player, even if not top 6, is totally the result of Green and what he did to eliminate the kid's smug aura of entitlement and create the urge to fight for what he wanted as he finally came to grips with the reality it wasn't going to be gifted to him.

I don't know where Kero will fit and I said as much. I hope he is assigned to the Comets and is a great #2 center. His history in pro hockey points to that role at this level. A desire to become an NHL player should motivate him to produce at this highest possible level. That can only be a good thing for all involved. If he has attitude problems, he will be gone when his contract runs out at the end of this season or sooner. Cull won't suffer fools and he knows exactly how to pencil a player in or out of the lineup. It will work out either way.

It does create a topic for a short conversation in the lull between now and all the free agency, off season trade market, and upcoming camps.

Oh, and don't talk to us about being overdramatic. I know you are part of some of the most dramatic threads online with some of the Vancouver spats currently being carried on page after page after page after page, ad infinitum. LOL

Not really sure how a long standing debate is comparable to you guys already calling this player a cry baby, selfish, and other attacks just because this one time a year ago he got sent to the minors and didn't seem happy about it.

Honestly mate I like your posts but brevity would be a useful art to learn. I know because I've been trying to learn it as well but reading every word of your twenty paragraph diatribes is exhausting.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not really sure how a long standing debate is comparable to you guys already calling this player a cry baby, selfish, and other attacks just because this one time a year ago he got sent to the minors and didn't seem happy about it.

Honestly mate I like your posts but brevity would be a useful art to learn. I know because I've been trying to learn it as well but reading every word of your twenty paragraph diatribes is exhausting.

Reading is that exhaustive? 20 paragraphs may take a minute or 2 at most for people who read. That's a problem with the text addicted world. Everything is butchered to make it quicker to key in and quicker to decipher. The world is becoming more and more ignorant because people don't read. K?

You know at least 2 ways to ignore if it's too much for you. You arrive at a a bad goalie post. Just go by to the next. Exhaustion prevented.

Ignore all Bad Goalie posts by adding me to your ignore list.

Either way energy preserved, exhaustion prevented.

That's really a silly concept.

I only made this one 5 very short paragraphs so you could survive the time span it would take to read it. I know, it's now 6, but I timed myself reading it. Took 14 seconds and I took my time. However, I am slow at keyboarding. Still a 2-finger typist, but I've become pretty quick. Not fast, but it takes me much longer to type it than it should come close to your time for reading it. Wow, I didn't even come close to exhaustion in my typing time lapse? Must be in superb reading/keyboarding condition.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Not sure I'd want a player who was excited about being sent down to the minors.

How you overplay things. No one said he was supposed to be happy let alone excited. He should, however get the message as to why and understand the quickest path back to where he wishes to be is improving the skill set that got him sent down. Then you see a hungry player working his tail off to produce and make himself too good to keep down on the farm. Pissing and moaning won't accomplish anything. You know that, I know that, and every player assigned to the minors damn well knows it as well.

By the way there are a lot of players excited to play in the AHL and a lot of them here this year will be in that mix, most of them in fact. They are playing hockey for money and are one step away from big bucks and every one of them knows the statistical odds of that not happening. Work, work, work, but have fun doing it. What a way to go to WORK every morning. There are a whole mess of guys who would give their left gonad to be in the AHL. $70,000 grand for the each of the 1st 3 years for only 7 months of work. Playoffs are for fun and a nice bonus if you win.

If you were one of the blue chippers, you probably don't spend a lot of those 3 years time in the AHL.

If you are farther down the food chain, that time might be 2 years or more.

If you haven't made in the first 3 seasons, the numbers you have put up will determine whether or not you get an extension to give it even more effort. By now you may be working your ass off to get into some decent money (like the AHL/NHL twweeners who become AHL vets, but are valuable enough to the farm club and the capability to fill in up above if injuries get you a call) and maybe still get a 1-way a la Bouchard, Chaput, Wiercioch, and Megna last season last season to work with the new crop of kids. Maybe you get a 2-way, but still nail down 2 or 3 hundred thousand on your minor league end of the contract.

Some end up in Europe sooner than others and the others finally get the release and the UFA contracts still make them valuable as they shift around the AHL, but finally the decent money offers stop coming and they venture to Europe as well.

Then we have the guys who just flat out learn the AHL isn't even a spot they can hold onto and it's the lower minors like the ECHL and even they can find work in Europe.

Finally we have the guys who get assigned the AHL, get sent to Echl and at 21-22 finally accept that a hockey career won't happen.

Those going to the NHL are a very small % of the kids who will play in Utica. and of those who do get to the show, many more don't last long. So in short, NO, You wouldn't expect any player to be "excited" about getting sent down to the minors (AHL). He better come with the right attitude and the proper work ethic if he expects to go back up.

However, those who never get there for even a short stint, playing in the AHL for a average career length of time (8-12) years is still pretty exciting and not exactly a poor living economically either.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Reading is that exhaustive? 20 paragraphs may take a minute or 2 at most for people who read. That's a problem with the text addicted world. Everything is butchered to make it quicker to key in and quicker to decipher. The world is becoming more and more ignorant because people don't read. K?

You know at least 2 ways to ignore if it's too much for you. You arrive at a a bad goalie post. Just go by to the next. Exhaustion prevented.

Ignore all Bad Goalie posts by adding me to your ignore list.

Either way energy preserved, exhaustion prevented.

That's really a silly concept.

I only made this one 5 very short paragraphs so you could survive the time span it would take to read it. I know, it's now 6, but I timed myself reading it. Took 14 seconds and I took my time. However, I am slow at keyboarding. Still a 2-finger typist, but I've become pretty quick. Not fast, but it takes me much longer to type it than it should come close to your time for reading it. Wow, I didn't even come close to exhaustion in my typing time lapse? Must be in superb reading/keyboarding condition.

Sure man, whatever.

I started off by telling you I liked your posts but if you'd rather be sensitive and defensive than receptive to advice then that is up to you.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
From reading so many of your posts in all of the HF threads you are the last guy I thought would have such thin skin. The whole post was meant in jest thus the highly repetitive use of the word exhaust and it's other parts of speech.

Many, like you, have stated they thought my posts were too long and others have said I shouldn't change a thing because they enjoy the reads and like the details, especially in reviewing Comets progress or lack thereof. I don't plan to change my style so I guess you will just have to accept it as me. K?

Reactions: John Belushi

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Agree but Kero isn't a player who is excited about being sent down to the minors is he?

That was my point. A year ago he was pissed off about being sent down to the minors. This is how I would hope a prospect would feel, and hopefully respond with a renewed determination to not get sent down again. Doesn't sound like a cry baby to me.

How you overplay things. No one said he was supposed to be happy let alone excited. He should, however get the message as to why and understand the quickest path back to where he wishes to be is improving the skill set that got him sent down. Then you see a hungry player working his tail off to produce and make himself too good to keep down on the farm. Pissing and moaning won't accomplish anything. You know that, I know that, and every player assigned to the minors damn well knows it as well.

By the way there are a lot of players excited to play in the AHL and a lot of them here this year will be in that mix, most of them in fact. They are playing hockey for money and are one step away from big bucks and every one of them knows the statistical odds of that not happening. Work, work, work, but have fun doing it. What a way to go to WORK every morning. There are a whole mess of guys who would give their left gonad to be in the AHL. $70,000 grand for the each of the 1st 3 years for only 7 months of work. Playoffs are for fun and a nice bonus if you win.

-----8< ----- snip - too much to quote

It's amazing how a 1 short sentence post can result in a wall of text.

You called him a cry baby based on him being pissed off at reporting to Rockford. In fact you have taken this stance on any player who has not wanted to play in the AHL - Dahlen, Rodin, Tryamkin, etc. I get it, you're a Utica fan and you tend to see things through a Utica lens, but the fact of the matter is that the AHL is not the ONLY development path that prepares players for the NHL. Players also develop in the NCAA, in the SHL, AllSvenskan, SM-Liiga, KHL, Swiss and Czech leagues and some even make the jump straight from major junior programs into the NHL. In most cases, the player and the team jointly make this decision, in others, where the player has more leverage or control, they choose for themselves. This doesn't mean the player has an attitude problem, or is a cry baby or whatever other names you want to call him. He is just choosing what he feels is in his own best interest, like anyone would do.

Last edited:
Reactions: F A N

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That was my point. A year ago he was pissed off about being sent down to the minors. This is how I would hope a prospect would feel, and hopefully respond with a renewed determination to not get sent down again. Doesn't sound like a cry baby to me.

-----8< ----- snip - too much to quote

It's amazing how a 1 short sentence post can result in a wall of text.

You called him a cry baby based on him being pissed off at reporting to Rockford. In fact you have taken this stance on any player who has not wanted to play in the AHL - Dahlen, Rodin, Tryamkin, etc. I get it, you're a Utica fan and you tend to see things through a Utica lens, but the fact of the matter is that the AHL is not the ONLY development path that prepares players for the NHL. Players also develop in the NCAA, in the SHL, AllSvenskan, SM-Liiga, KHL, Swiss and Czech leagues and some even make the jump straight from major junior programs into the NHL. In most cases, the player and the team jointly make this decision, in others, where the player has more leverage or control, they choose for themselves. This doesn't mean the player has an attitude problem, or is a cry baby or whatever other names you want to call him. He is just choosing what he feels is in his own best interest, like anyone would do.

So we go from a statement about Kero made by Utica Hockey to which I asked a bunch of questions, thus not "calling" him a cry baby (reading comprehension) to a total negative stance on any the reaction we have taken to any player not reporting to Utica.

Tryamkin didn't opt to develop in Russia during his season with Vancouver, but he did refuse to go to the AHL. That one was on Benning since he had told him they wouldn't send him there and then tried to do just that.

Dahlen was assigned to Utica and then went home and hadn't even told his coach he wqas going. Kosher behavior? I think not.

Rodin reported here the first time and was the best player on the ice and was recalled to Vancouver. The next season he reported as well. I have nothing against the stance Rodin took when after reporting he was only given an occasional start. I believe his rehab wasn't effective and his game was lost. He went home and wasn't signed by any SHL team so signed in the NLA (Swiss league). He is signed there for this season as well. I feel bad for him because his injury cost him a promising NHL career.

Dahlen will likely be sent to Utica again this season and should report. We will see. He will be here with a whole bunch of prospects for the first time in 5 years. The exact names and numbers are yet to be seen. Beagle, Roussel, and/or whomever else is signed by Vancouver will increase the number of Vancouver contracts assigned to the farm.

I have a very simple stance on the players and their pro development. NA players are not allowed to report to the AHL until 20 if they have participated in Canadian JRs. Americans usually get their statr there. Those that don't can sign and play in the AHL at 18. Europeans can do likewise. Several Europeans have done such in recent history. I have nothing against the Europeans drafted by Vancouver playing at home until 20, but after turning 20 they should follow the same path as their fellow NA draftees. That's how I see it and I am entitled to that opinion and it shared with many hockey fans including posters on this site from Vancouver. The escape clause back to Europe has to be okayed by NHL management. If they want all of their top prospects in the AHL and playing together then they should not provide the out clause to those individuals. If the player truly wants to be an NHL player, he will report. I am talking about the Dahlens not the Gunnarssons.

You can call it what you want, but that's where I stand. However, that point has been argued ad nauseum in the past and was totally out of context to bring up in discussing Tanner Kero. He is an American, who played in the NCAA. His career has basically been split 2 to 1 between the AHL and the NHL. Probably gets sent here this year.

As the post I made to you before this one (#41), addressed in depth, the attitude players report to the "minors", AHL, is key to their fit into the system. Most come in "disappointed", naturally. However, they come in eager to work on what they were told caused the demotion and get right to it. Those who don't either stagnate or actually take a step back and hurt not only themselves, but also their team. We have seen those types as well. Hoping none of this season's Comets sent here from Vancouver fit the second description. None of those assigned here last year did anything but push to improve their games. Bouchard, Goldobin, and Chaput topped that list and all 3 got more time in Vancouver. Looking to see the same this season from whomever gets their farm ticket. As we a re continually preached to, as if we were somehow so ignorant that we didn't know it, this is a development league and thus, we look to see them develop. As I have repeatedly stated, Comets fans wish to see every single Comet end upo in the NHL! We all know, both here and there, that isn't going to happen, but we are glad for every single one that does make the jump.

I can't see how anyone can find fault with that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Getting sent to the minors half-way through an NHL season is tough, particularly if you have a young family. But I love the fact that the guy is pissed about being sent down. You want players with some passion and belief in themselves.

But of course looking at Kero's stats so far in pro hockey there's little to indicate he's much more than a depth center...and was clearly outscored by Chaput at the AHL level. But hopefully things work for him in Utica and he gets a recall to the Canucks sometime next season.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
From reading so many of your posts in all of the HF threads you are the last guy I thought would have such thin skin. The whole post was meant in jest thus the highly repetitive use of the word exhaust and it's other parts of speech.

Many, like you, have stated they thought my posts were too long and others have said I shouldn't change a thing because they enjoy the reads and like the details, especially in reviewing Comets progress or lack thereof. I don't plan to change my style so I guess you will just have to accept it as me. K?

I was just trying to give you a tip, as someone who frequently goes unread because I get too long. Brevity can be a useful skill to learn if you are wanting to get a point across but if you honestly don't care about people skipping past your content then all the power to you.

I don't really understand the comment about me having thin skin but sure, whatever you say.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Preparing myself to be underwhelmed by the Canucks free agent signings for Utica........... That's if they actually do sign anything for Utica.....

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Preparing myself to be underwhelmed by the Canucks free agent signings for Utica........... That's if they actually do sign anything for Utica.....
They've got a whole bunch signed for Utica. Problem is they'll be playing in Vancouver.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
So why does Benning not send Archie through waivers last spring for fear of loosing him and then turn around and not sign him????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad