2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'd expect Brisbois would be the next call up, given recent reports on his play, and that he's now the guy with the most NHL upside.

I'd assume he would ride the pine. He's at a stage in his development where just being in the NHL and practicing vs NHLers can be beneficial.

And again, this is dumb for two reasons :

1) on a team that micromanages every faceoff alignment, Brisebois is a substantially worse player than Blujus at this point.

2) calling up a developing prospect to stick them in the pressbox sucks. These guys need to play.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Most likely nobody will be called up. Biega will rotate in for Stecher while MDZ stays in the press box for the couple of games before the Christmas break. After the break if Stecher isn't ready he will get moved to the IR when Baertschi is activated and they will go with 7D and 14F until they have to make another move.

Reactions: Bad Goalie and m9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jimbo needs to work the phones after the Xmas break to talk trade.....Canucks have too many bodies and not enough slots for them. They've been winning without Sutter, MDZ or Baertschi. There has to be a dance partner out there somewhere for a couple of these guys. MDZ they couldn't deal for a broken down Zamboni.....but maybe there's a team out there decimated by injuries on the blueline who might regard him in a stop-gap role.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
They certainly have lost more players to waivers than they have claimed but they also picked up Brandon McMillan a few years ago.

Cool! No wonder I don't have a recollection. Played 8 games in Vancouver in 2014-15. Never anything to do with the Comets during the best season..

It was his last North American stop before signing in the DEL That was followed by 4 yrs in the KHL including the current season where he is playing for Dynamo Riga.

Thanks for the update on my history lesson. So is 2 the final number?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Most likely nobody will be called up. Biega will rotate in for Stecher while MDZ stays in the press box for the couple of games before the Christmas break. After the break if Stecher isn't ready he will get moved to the IR when Baertschi is activated and they will go with 7D and 14F until they have to make another move.

Sutter is the guy that makes them have to do something if Baertschi is already back and the return of Stetcher would cause another move. That's assuming they can all stay healthy. I can't see that event ever occurring.

Back to the phones Pat Conacher. ECHL hunting expedition continues. Nobody with Vancouver clout will be making any calls for the farm. The Ghost is exactly that.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Thank you, that brings the total to 3.

So far only Boucher ended up being anything.

Anyone else out there got another one?

What is the point of this? Teams rarely pick players up off waivers for the purpose of sending them to the AHL.

Reactions: Red

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
What is the point of this? Teams rarely pick players up off waivers for the purpose of sending them to the AHL.
F A N I think it occurred to a couple of the fellas that it seemed like the waiver wire was a resource that Benning had perhaps underutilized in what has been a several season long rebuilding phase for the team. So, a couple of us searched the web and reported back here with what we had found. I believe you're catching the tail end of that discussion.

Reactions: F A N

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The point was Benning does not have a history of using waiver claims to add depth to the organization and he may want to consider it to find a defenseman if Stecher will be out for an extended period. With Stecher out there are only three extra healthy dmen combined in both Vancouver and Utica on NHL contracts.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The point was Benning does not have a history of using waiver claims to add depth to the organization and he may want to consider it to find a defenseman if Stecher will be out for an extended period. With Stecher out there are only three extra healthy dmen combined in both Vancouver and Utica on NHL contracts.

Don't waste your time . Did you see anywhere in this current discussion of waiver claims that the point was to get players for the Comets? A few posts back I did say it was a way it could be done and other NHL teams have done such, but this current issue he is replying to was just started as a curiosity on my part as to how many waiver claims has Jim has made. Vancouver itself is hurting for defensive depth and it's a way for him to get some.

Fan finds some way to turn every post made to have something to do with Benning bashing no matter how far from the truth it is. Then he will reply denying his support of the illustrious leader.

Or

Posts by Comets posters are understandable because they love their team, but just simply don't understand what the purpose of the AHL is. He knows though and we just don't seem to want to accept his convoluted vision.

Any effort to explain anything differing from his stance is futile. I have given up.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
What's the Canucks contracts slots situation? Wonder if that has an effect on the inaction on the waivers option?
They are at 46 of 50 available to them. They were at 45 but went to 46 when they signed Mitch Eliot. It looks like that contract doesn't slide because even though he is in juniors he is 20 years old. 46 out of 50 is about average for the NHL. A quick look at Capfriendly shows 13 teams with 47 or more and 13 teams with 45 or less.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Sure if there is a good Dman to pick up on waivers right now. Is there? What's the current list of Dmen available on waivers since Stecher suffered a concussion?

Fan finds some way to turn every post made to have something to do with Benning bashing no matter how far from the truth it is. Then he will reply denying his support of the illustrious leader.

Were you not bashing Benning? Were you praising Benning for resisting the temptation of picking any Dman put on waivers? Seems like you're in some sort of denial here.

Reactions: lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It's a busy night tonight, with everyone in the North Division in action, I believe.

A good result for the Comets and on the out of town scoreboard, tonight and tomorrow, would be uplifting heading into the break.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
All I was saying is it might be worth the Canucks plucking a d man off waivers and sticking them in the press box in Vancouver as a stop gap until people get healthy.

Not much sense in bringing up someone out of Utica just to eat popcorn....... When no longer needed, put him on waivers and hope he gets claimed, or send him down........

People gotta think outside the box.......

Reactions: lindgren

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
And again, this is dumb for two reasons :

1) on a team that micromanages every faceoff alignment, Brisebois is a substantially worse player than Blujus at this point.

2) calling up a developing prospect to stick them in the pressbox sucks. These guys need to play.

Blujus isn't signed so he can't be recalled. Talk about dumb!

We all know you get these man crushes on AHLers that noone in a paid hockey job sees, and now it seems like Blujus is your next one. He will be 25 soon and doesn't have an NHL contract...even if he is "better" right now, does he have any NHL upside?

I'm making the assumption that Blujus has almost zero NHL potential, while Brisebois has at least some. Getting a young prospect a taste of NHL life can absolutely be beneficial to their development. Obviously we don't want him spending weeks in the pressbox, but a couple weeks is fine. There is absolutely benefit going up against Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat in practice instead of Gaunce, Archibald and Boucher. Likewise, watching how Edler and Tanev handle practices and pregame and postgame also brings value. Same with getting time with the NHL skills coaches, film coaches etc.

I know somewhere @Bad Goalie had the ridiculous post about just extending the roster to 40 players and getting rid of the AHL then. It's a pretty sad take, and not really deserving of a reply, but since we are on the topic I will point out the obvious that no one is saying a player should go long periods without playing. And of course calling 40 players NHLers doesnt make player 21-40 as good as players 1-20. It's not about the title "NHL player" it's about practicing against the best in the world. If you don't think a young player can improve by practicing against the best in the world, even if it means not playing for a couple of weeks, well, to quote MS, you're "dumb."

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Blujus isn't signed so he can't be recalled. Talk about dumb!

We all know you get these man crushes on AHLers that noone in a paid hockey job sees, and now it seems like Blujus is your next one. He will be 25 soon and doesn't have an NHL contract...even if he is "better" right now, does he have any NHL upside?

I'm making the assumption that Blujus has almost zero NHL potential, while Brisebois has at least some. Getting a young prospect a taste of NHL life can absolutely be beneficial to their development. Obviously we don't want him spending weeks in the pressbox, but a couple weeks is fine. There is absolutely benefit going up against Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat in practice instead of Gaunce, Archibald and Boucher. Likewise, watching how Edler and Tanev handle practices and pregame and postgame also brings value. Same with getting time with the NHL skills coaches, film coaches etc.

I know somewhere @Bad Goalie had the ridiculous post about just extending the roster to 40 players and getting rid of the AHL then. It's a pretty sad take, and not really deserving of a reply, but since we are on the topic I will point out the obvious that no one is saying a player should go long periods without playing. And of course calling 40 players NHLers doesnt make player 21-40 as good as players 1-20. It's not about the title "NHL player" it's about practicing against the best in the world. If you don't think a young player can improve by practicing against the best in the world, even if it means not playing for a couple of weeks, well, to quote MS, you're "dumb."

You're under the impression that MS doesn't know that Blujus doesn't have an NHL deal, and you're calling him dumb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad