2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Blujus should be signed to an NHL contract and recalled.

He’s easily the best defender on the farm and it’s madness he isn’t on an NHL deal.

Why do they need to recall a guy? Two guys sitting in the pressbox.

Also, I've never understood why people get mad guys aren't on NHL deals. Seen it here in the past a few times. I assume if there was a threat of him being poached they would do it.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Blujus should be signed to an NHL contract and recalled.

He’s easily the best defender on the farm and it’s madness he isn’t on an NHL deal.
I agree that Blujus is probably the Comets best defender right now but I don't think he can handle to pace of the NHL. I thought he was the Comets best defender last year too but then he was exposed (and quite badly) by the speed and the skill of the Marlies in the playoffs. He didn't even look like the same player out there. I don't think his game translates to the NHL.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think the current treatment of Gaudette is a travesty. He should be in Utica. He's not playing meaningful minutes at the NHL level, getting scratched. It's just bad resource management and bad development.
He wasn"t scratched. He was apparently sick and Sutter and Beagle have been out.
NHL hasn't been ideal but it gives him a taste of what he needs to be effective and he's done great improving his puck management and compete 5v5.

Had a couple of his best games recently and ideally he goes back when Sutter is healthy and builds some offensive confidence.

Reactions: alternate

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
He wasn"t scratched. He was apparently sick and Sutter and Beagle have been out.
NHL hasn't been ideal but it gives him a taste of what he needs to be effective and he's done great improving his puck management and compete 5v5.

Had a couple of his best games recently and ideally he goes back when Sutter is healthy and builds some offensive confidence.
Oh I didn't know he was sick. Okay, that's a little better, the scratching really bothered me.

I just see lots of plays in the NHL where Gaudette has a great opportunity but doesn't capitalize, and I can't help but feel that's confidence. I really think he could turn into a very solid middle six center if he developed more offensively, and got more confident with the puck. I hope he does get sent down when Sutter returns.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I agree that Blujus is probably the Comets best defender right now but I don't think he can handle to pace of the NHL. I thought he was the Comets best defender last year too but then he was exposed (and quite badly) by the speed and the skill of the Marlies in the playoffs. He didn't even look like the same player out there. I don't think his game translates to the NHL.

This. The madness is declaring that it is madness for a soon to be 25 year old Dman who spent some time in the ECHL last season to not be on an NHL deal based on watching some Comets games on TV.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Time to repeat this post since Stecher was injured last night. There are only two defensemen in Utica that are under NHL contracts. Nice depth planning there Jimbo.

Umm... they have five defensemen in Utica that have NHL contracts. Most of them are just injured.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the current treatment of Gaudette is a travesty. He should be in Utica. He's not playing meaningful minutes at the NHL level, getting scratched. It's just bad resource management and bad development.
Couldn't disagree more. Gaudette has improved by leaps and bounds even playing limited minutes in VanCity. The last game against the Bolts was really an outlier. Green shortened the bench and played his offensive players trying to cut into a 1-3 deficit.

But clearly Green now trusts him in all situations and he's even getting minutes on the second unit pp, and doesn't look out of place. Gaudette has been a revelation imo. In fact I'd be willing to wager that Jimbo is seriously trolling the trade market for Brandon Sutter even before he comes back. Gaudette has been that good.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

Ya he had the flu and lost 10 lbs. But his 1st game back vd Philly he played really really well. Tons of potential with this guy. The motor is amazing. Iq as well.

Just needs seasoning w finishing and confidence.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Travesty is way over the top. Just because his minutes are measured doesn’t mean he isn’t learning and developing

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
It was an interesting night on the out-of-town scoreboard for Comets fans. Syracuse and Rochester both lost in regulation (though considering all their games in hand on the Comets, some probably consider them out of reach in the standings). Toronto (still without Carcone in the line-up) beat Binghamton, which wasn't the best result, but at least it was in regulation, so Binghamton falls further back. Cleveland won -- obviously a bad result.

The Comets are second in the division, going by points. By winning percentage, they're just under the playoff bar at fifth: some battling to do to get to the post-season.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This. The madness is declaring that it is madness for a soon to be 25 year old Dman who spent some time in the ECHL last season to not be on an NHL deal based on watching some Comets games on TV.

Your Dear Leader said himself at various points that the team should be 10-11 guys deep on the blueline.

Blujus is the organization’s 9th best defender with everyone healthy. 8th best with Stecher out indefinitely.

Not having your farm team’s #1 defender available for callup on a team this thin on the blueline is just ... dumb.

Additionally, the organization’s #10-12 guys are all out for months. Right now, if we have one more injury, we have to call up McEneny who quite simply can’t skate even at the AHL level and would be completely unplayable in the NHL.

Reactions: timw33 and Peen

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I'd expect Brisbois would be the next call up, given recent reports on his play, and that he's now the guy with the most NHL upside.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I'd expect Brisbois would be the next call up, given recent reports on his play, and that he's now the guy with the most NHL upside.
The worst thing they could do for Brisebois right now is call him up and throw him in the deep end now that he's finally making strides at the AHL level. But I agree, that's what they'll probably do.

Reactions: Bad Goalie

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The worst thing they could do for Brisebois right now is call him up and throw him in the deep end now that he's finally making strides at the AHL level. But I agree, that's what they'll probably do.

I'd assume he would ride the pine. He's at a stage in his development where just being in the NHL and practicing vs NHLers can be beneficial.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Probably time to snatch a Dman off waivers when the roster freeze ends..

This makes the greatest amount of sense, but when have we ever seen that? What waiver wire acquisitions has Benning made in his 6 years. I'm not asking this in a snarky way. I am asking this seriously because I don't recollect any. If he does grab one, that guy stays in Vancouver and when Stecher comes back he'd risk losing one of his own since he would have to send somebody down and they all have to clear waivers to do such.

He must be sleepless at night figuring out what he's going to do when Baertschi is ready. The only guy he can just send down is Gaudette and Travis seems to be quite satisfied with him. Therefore, he's going to have to waive someone and they are all his guys and he has been very steadfast in not sending down the guys he has acquired and signed to his contracts.

Schaller is the most worthless Canuck and the obvious choice. From a development standpoint Gaudette really could benefit greatly from 20 minutes a night in a key role, but real development of a prospect has never been his MO.

There is no doubt in my mind that had Juolevi stayed healthy and kept picking up his PP assists, he would already have become a Canuck even though we all know his defensive game was FAR from NHL ready. Utica would have Biega back again if he cleared waivers.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

They won't have any other choice. Only A & B exist in Utica for call-up duty. A is McEneny and his skating after the 3rd knee surgery has not come back. That leaves B, Brisebois. There is nobody else here they CAN bring up unless Benning wants to sacrifice one of his remaining 50 spots that he hoards like precious jewels and sign Blujus like they did with Archi last season.

Of course the portion of the fan base that thinks a guy practicing with the big club somehow actually develops their game further, won't see any problem with sitting him in the press box until such time the Canucks have their guy/s back.
I've said it before and repeat, if practicing with the big club developed players to become ready for the NHL, there would be no need for the AHL. every NHL team just carries 40 guys. They practice every day in 2 sessions an in a year or 3 those guys are NHL players. You cut bait every season to replace those not progressing fast enough to make room for the new draftees who reach professional age eligibility, but also allow as many as possible to play their overage Jr. year to make the bait cutting a smaller number giving every guy the utmost time before he goes into the regular work force with the rest of the masses. That would be idiotic because we all know that would waste an awful lot of careers because it wouldn't actually develop them at all. You have to play to develop. That's why there are minor leagues.

So much for the theory that practice with the big boys readies a player for the transition. Practicing with the big boys shows whether or not a guy might be ready to play with the big boys or needs to get his ass back to the minors pronto to develop further. Press box time is best suited for vet tweeners, not rookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad