2018-19 Utica Comets, Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
He will be with his 4th franchise next season if not earlier. Keefe is not going to keep playing a guy that defensively inept. They had signed Kyle Cumiskey before this game on a free agent contract. counting the 14-15 season until the present he has only played 80 hockey games, 80! He didn't even play hockey last season at all!!!!
That shows how desperate they must be to find a way to stop their bleeding of goals. Subbie had better find a horseshoe or he's on another bus to who knows where. Maybe the Orlando Solar Bears. He can't live on his brother's reps much longer.

Look for upper management to make some moves, particularly in Europe to get some more players into town.
Remember those arguments in here about why Subban wasn't getting called up to the Canucks?

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Remember those arguments in here about why Subban wasn't getting called up to the Canucks?

How can I forget? I was in the middle of most of them just by giving post game reports. The best one was "it doesn't matter how many goals he is responsible for. Utica is a development team. He needs to play in every situation so he can get down what he is supposed to do and as long as he sets up or scores as many as he gives up so what."

The kid drove me crazy with how many times a night he got walked, lost the puck in board battles, and gave the puck to the opponent in prime scoring positions.

He's a bad defenseman with a bit of offensive flair.

Reactions: UticaHockey

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
How can I forget? I was in the middle of most of them just by giving post game reports. The best one was "it doesn't matter how many goals he is responsible for. Utica is a development team. He needs to play in every situation so he can get down what he is supposed to do and as long as he sets up or scores as many as he gives up so what."

The kid drove me crazy with how many times a night he got walked, lost the puck in board battles, and gave the puck to the opponent in prime scoring positions.

He's a bad defenseman with a bit of offensive flair.
Have to agree. These boards filled up with outrage that neither Subban nor Shinkaruk were getting a fair shot from the Canucks. Now they're on their third NHL organizations and barely adequate as AHL players. In fact they're both closer to playing in Europe than the NHL. You have to give Jimbo some props. The guy knows 'when to hold 'em and when to throw them'.

Reactions: alternate

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Ah... yes the Subban and Shinkaruk debates. Remember all the flak I and others got for pointing out that both had significant downsides. And there was the one poster who accused me of racism for suggesting Subban had big problems in the defensive end. Like to go back to those threads and see how idiotic some of it got. See much the same thing with Gaunce. Try to give an honest appraisal and the committed Gaunce group go haywire and see it all as bias.

Some of this had to be attributed to media like Botchford. Too lazy to do their homework and actually follow someone like Subban (which you would think was part of their job), they simply watched the stats and then gave glib opinions to create news where there was little. Like how could a dynamo like Jordan Subban not be with the Canucks. It amazes me how uninformed the Vancouver sports media is about players in the system. I never look to them for info but instead rely on sites such as this.

Far as "Jimbo" knowing "when to hold them and when to throw them", I think are is a huge list of players who should have been traded for some return (draft choices would have been nice). So many decent NHLers were lost for nothing. And there is plenty of evidence to support this. Also, can't really say Subban fetched anything and Shinkaruk likely would have got a better return if he had been moved earlier (as I and some suggested - and boy did we get heat for that). Saying "Jimbo" has been a smart trader is a real stretch.

nuck luck

Mar 2, 2016
Ah... yes the Subban and Shinkaruk debates. Remember all the flak I and others got for pointing out that both had significant downsides. And there was the one poster who accused me of racism for suggesting Subban had big problems in the defensive end. Like to go back to those threads and see how idiotic some of it got. See much the same thing with Gaunce. Try to give an honest appraisal and the committed Gaunce group go haywire and see it all as bias.

Some of this had to be attributed to media like Botchford. Too lazy to do their homework and actually follow someone like Subban (which you would think was part of their job), they simply watched the stats and then gave glib opinions to create news where there was little. Like how could a dynamo like Jordan Subban not be with the Canucks. It amazes me how uninformed the Vancouver sports media is about players in the system. I never look to them for info but instead rely on sites such as this.

Far as "Jimbo" knowing "when to hold them and when to throw them", I think are is a huge list of players who should have been traded for some return (draft choices would have been nice). So many decent NHLers were lost for nothing. And there is plenty of evidence to support this. Also, can't really say Subban fetched anything and Shinkaruk likely would have got a better return if he had been moved earlier (as I and some suggested - and boy did we get heat for that). Saying "Jimbo" has been a smart trader is a real stretch.

As opposed to a handful of posters on here, I fully respect the posts you and Bad Goalie put up on a regular basis.

Unless others follow the Comets as closely as you guys, they need to show some appreciation for you and BG feeding us information and keeping us up-to-date.

I think it was on CDC where I argued for Subb and Shink, but we were just getting our info from stats or biased posters, possibly posted here but I don't remember. While nobody likes to hear anything that differs with their beliefs or wants, I have been persuaded to adjust my thoughts as you guys will bring up facts and evidence to go along with your reputations as Comet fans.

Obviously we disagree in some points occasionally, but my respect is there. I want straight facts and have no need to read BS so I can feel better about myself.

Please continue with what you guys do! I'm glad you guys are able to ignore the stupidity of canuck fans in the past and present.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
The thing to remember is that most Canucks fans do not watch Comets games in their entirety. They see 2 minute game recaps and 5 second gifs that someone was posting on here at the time. Those were always cherry picked clips of Subban or Shinkaruk making a nice play and never anything negative. Meanwhile in Utica this is what we saw from Jordan Subban on a regular basis.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Songtao 88

Dec 26, 2014
Left Coast
Well the comets have 3 goalies now, the Marlies have none. So I've heard they are loaning Demko to the Marlies....

Let's move on from this narrative about how ridiculous it is to loan Gagner to another organization.

Signing Gagner to a rich three-year contract was a travesty, even worse than most of Old Jim's other free agent signings. Gagner was and is a floater.

The best resolution for the Canucks, the Comets, and us fans is to "loan" Gagner to some distant location and leave him there. Period.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think some Comets posters are incorrectly and unfairly characterizing the Canucks fans on here. I don't remember any regular Canucks posters here that thought or argued that Subban was good enough defensively. I think most Canucks fans here wanted to see Jordan Subban be given a chance to see if he can outscore his defensive deficiencies given that the Canucks have suffered from lack of defensive depth, a poor PP, and lack of scoring over the years. The same applies to Shinkaruk when he was leading the Comets in scoring. Heck, you will hear calls for Boucher to be given another chance even though more likely than not we know how Boucher is going to do at the NHL level.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
As opposed to a handful of posters on here, I fully respect the posts you and Bad Goalie put up on a regular basis.

Unless others follow the Comets as closely as you guys, they need to show some appreciation for you and BG feeding us information and keeping us up-to-date.

I think it was on CDC where I argued for Subb and Shink, but we were just getting our info from stats or biased posters, possibly posted here but I don't remember. While nobody likes to hear anything that differs with their beliefs or wants, I have been persuaded to adjust my thoughts as you guys will bring up facts and evidence to go along with your reputations as Comet fans.

Obviously we disagree in some points occasionally, but my respect is there. I want straight facts and have no need to read BS so I can feel better about myself.

Please continue with what you guys do! I'm glad you guys are able to ignore the stupidity of canuck fans in the past and present.
This. That's the thing about orcatown and all the Utica posters here. Not only do they put in the work but they also sometimes get a lot of flak. Nobody wants to hear that our prospects, who seemingly look really promising and offer hope, aren't good enough. Admittedly, sometimes I cringe when I read an orcatown post because some things I really, really didn't want to read. However, I appreciate the honesty, the commitment and the informed opinions on the farm team and the prospects.

If we want to read a bunch more positive stuff, the Canucks need to start doing a better job with drafting and other means of bringing in talent.

Reactions: nuck luck

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I think some Comets posters are incorrectly and unfairly characterizing the Canucks fans on here. I don't remember any regular Canucks posters here that thought or argued that Subban was good enough defensively. I think most Canucks fans here wanted to see Jordan Subban be given a chance to see if he can outscore his defensive deficiencies given that the Canucks have suffered from lack of defensive depth, a poor PP, and lack of scoring over the years. The same applies to Shinkaruk when he was leading the Comets in scoring. Heck, you will hear calls for Boucher to be given another chance even though more likely than not we know how Boucher is going to do at the NHL level.

There are fans here that have argued many absurdities. I wouldn't bet on general statements about the competence of the entire board.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There are fans here that have argued many absurdities. I wouldn't bet on general statements about the competence of the entire board.

If there were some Comets fans on here that post absurdities now and then do you want Canucks fans to generalize Comets fans using them as reference? It surely wouldn’t be an accurate portrayal of Comets fans on this board.

Obviously there are posters here who are not knowledgeable. Some Benning haters for example think it’s Benning not liking a Gillis’ drafted prospect but it’s not like we have no gauge of where Subban is at. There has not been a preseason where Jordan has impressed. Sending him down wasn’t even a question but an afterthought.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
If there were some Comets fans on here that post absurdities now and then do you want Canucks fans to generalize Comets fans using them as reference? It surely wouldn’t be an accurate portrayal of Comets fans on this board.

Obviously there are posters here who are not knowledgeable. Some Benning haters for example think it’s Benning not liking a Gillis’ drafted prospect but it’s not like we have no gauge of where Subban is at. There has not been a preseason where Jordan has impressed. Sending him down wasn’t even a question but an afterthought.

So your argument started as no Canuck fans ever said Subban was good at D, to its wrong for Utica fans to generalize all Canuck fans together (they didn't), to its probably just Benning haters.

K.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So your argument started as no Canuck fans ever said Subban was good at D, to its wrong for Utica fans to generalize all Canuck fans together (they didn't), to its probably just Benning haters.

K.

That's not what I said. Learn to read and come back to the discussion.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
That's not what I said. Learn to read and come back to the discussion.

Lol.

I don't remember any regular Canucks posters here that thought or argued that Subban was good enough defensively.

If there were some Comets fans on here that post absurdities now and then do you want Canucks fans to generalize Comets fans using them as reference?

Obviously there are posters here who are not knowledgeable. Some Benning haters for example

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets take on the Rochester Americans at 7 eastern tonight. Both come in with 3-2 records and 6 points.

The Comets have surrendered 19 goals and the Amerks 18 so neither is a defensive juggernaut. As for offense, the Comets have 21 goals for to Rochester's 17. Slight edge there to the Comets.

Rochester has been assessed 48 minutes in penalties and surrendered 6PPGA for a 72.7 PK%.
Utica has been assessed 88 penalty minutes, but Woods had 27 in one incident and Bancks 17 in another for 44 total minutes. So the 44 remaining minutes are about the same in terms of normal 2 minute penalties. Utica's kill rate is 89.5%, but they have only surrendered 2 PPGA.

The Comets PP is clicking at 30.0% while Rochester's is at 31.3%.

So all in all the records of these two teams is not only the same W/L wise but is very comparable in most of the major hockey numbers.

Should be a good tilt.

If Utica sells out, they will tie the AHL record for the most consecutive home sellouts.

Talk to you all later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad