2018-19 UEFA Europa League

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Ah yes, if only we could've magically plopped Sarri in the dugout for a single game after months away from the team to test your theory. Comparing a team he's managed for less than a season in an entirely different league to a team he'd be in year 4 with.... apples to apples, right?

Napoli's clearly deteriorated from his style of football. It was still prevalent early in the season against the likes of PSG , but this resembles nothing like it was.

This is all Carlo-ball now. For better or for worse. He deserves time to shape this squad as he sees fit without question in my opinion. Right now, it's a Frankenstein of Sarri and even Benitez players with no systematic ethos to give them purpose.

Who the hell knows if this team would've beat Arsenal if Sarri had never left , but I know they're not nearly as good as they were. Not even close

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Ah yes, if only we could've magically plopped Sarri in the dugout for a single game after months away from the team to test your theory. Comparing a team he's managed for less than a season in an entirely different league to a team he'd be in year 4 with.... apples to apples, right?

Napoli's clearly deteriorated from his style of football. It was still prevalent early in the season against the likes of PSG , but this resembles nothing like it was.

This is all Carlo-ball now. For better or for worse. He deserves time to shape this squad as he sees fit without question in my opinion. Right now, it's a Frankenstein of Sarri and even Benitez players with no systematic ethos to give them purpose.

Who the hell knows if this team would've beat Arsenal if Sarri had never left , but I know they're not nearly as good as they were. Not even close
You're forgetting Sarri's Napoli immediately lost in R32 to inconsistent Leipzig team last year after failing to advance over Shaktar in CL. Carlo already eclipsed what Sarri accomplished in Europe with Napoli this season.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
You're forgetting Sarri's Napoli immediately lost in R32 to inconsistent Leipzig team last year after failing to advance over Shaktar in CL. Carlo already eclipsed what Sarri accomplished in Europe with Napoli this season.

I'm not forgetting anything, man. I watched that team religiously.

They tanked the first leg in the Europa league because Sarri wanted to focus on the league and didn't feel they had the depth to compete in two comps. Then after a bunch of backlash from fans and the media , they went for it in Germany and came up short (barely).

Going further in the Europa league doesn't really mean a whole lot to me , when it's beyond obvious they're not nearly as good of a team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm not forgetting anything, man. I watched that team religiously.

They tanked the first leg in the Europa league because Sarri wanted to focus on the league and didn't feel they had the depth to compete in two comps. Then after a bunch of backlash from fans and the media , they went for it in Germany and came up short (barely).

Going further in the Europa league doesn't really mean a whole lot to me , when it's beyond obvious they're not nearly as good of a team.
Still, I don't think it would've made a difference. Napoli can't really compete in European competition for some reason. Carlo is definitely the coach you go with here imo.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Awful showing from Chelsea tonight, pretty lucky to come away with the win, though it's classic Chelsea styles.

Happy for the Arsenal result, but home and away are two different planets for them these days

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Still, I don't think it would've made a difference. Napoli can't really compete in European competition for some reason. Carlo is definitely the coach you go with here imo.
They are not good enough even for Europa it's simple actually. It shows you how far Serie A has fallen since 10 years or so.

Reactions: Cassano

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I would have a lot more confidence going into the second leg if we capitalized and got a third goal.

2-0 does not seem like much with our recent away form

Agreed, but the clean sheet is a big positive. Key will be getting a quick away goal so Napoli have to get four. Which of course is not out of the question, but at least it's a bigger hill to climb over 90 minutes.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It looks more and more likely that Portugal will catch Russia for that 6th spot in UEFA rankings. They are only 2 points away and Benfica will most likely put up a big mark.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
It looks more and more likely that Portugal will catch Russia for that 6th spot in UEFA rankings. They are only 2 points away and Benfica will most likely put up a big mark.
Frankfurt can win 2-0 it's not over!

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Awful showing from Chelsea tonight, pretty lucky to come away with the win, though it's classic Chelsea styles.

Happy for the Arsenal result, but home and away are two different planets for them these days

Yeah, we have a handful of players that can actually play Sarri's system and unfortunately, they can't play every game. Have to keep RLC and Hudson-Odoi fresh for the important games. Hazard, Kante, Jorhinho, and defense should be able to stay fresh enough to not need much rotation.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
the clean sheet was an amazing surprise today!
No doubt! Getting two goals was important, but not conceding an away goal is absolutely huge for the away leg. If Arsenal is able to score in the first half next Thursday I like our chances.

Not sure if Sarri would've made a difference. With a superior Chelsea team, they barely beat Arsenal at home and played off the pitch away.
They have a ton of dead-weight from that squad due to Mourinho. The problem is that FO has a happy trigger finger and fires everyone too soon before they can implement their plan. I am all for it though, I laugh to see Chelsea struggle so much.

Last edited:

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah, we have a handful of players that can actually play Sarri's system and unfortunately, they can't play every game. Have to keep RLC and Hudson-Odoi fresh for the important games. Hazard, Kante, Jorhinho, and defense should be able to stay fresh enough to not need much rotation.

Kante and Hazard were only subbed on in the second half, when shockingly enough the team started looking a bit better. The starters all played pretty poorly. Willian was easily the best player on the field, and Kepa deserves special mention, that one outstretched save in particular was pretty spectacular.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
As a Benfica fan I worry about their defence...Andre Almeida is trash and Ruben Dias/Ferro are quality but inexperienced still..Jardel is ancient and can barely move. Gabriel is a big miss in midfield as Samaris isn't half the player he is, so hopefully Fejsa-Florentino/Gedson start. Florentino especially is a fantastic young player part of that great 99 generation for Portugal that won the U-17 and U-19 Euros back to back. Joao Felix needs to stop talking about how he always rejects DM nudes on instagram though.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
@Cassano
I wish you the best of luck for tomorrow in Napoli. You are definitely going to need it. I truly hope you do not get robbed, stabbed, shot or beaten. If something does happen, I hope it doesn't, but it was nice knowing you.

I was thinking the same thing.

Go Arsenal, but remember not to cheer too loudly.... and if you can try and sneak on to AFTV post game. Although I don't think hanging around the stadium post game is a smart idea... lol have fun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad