2018-19 UEFA Europa League

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He looks like a child. I wonder what it would be like to be on a team getting wrecked by someone who looked like that.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Of course, he also scored one, so I can't be too mad, but still. Really would like to get another. 3-0 and I'll feel comfortable going to Italy

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
There is almost no movement. Under Sarri everyone was moving.

Going long to a 5' 4" offside Insigne ain't gunna cut it. They pressed the life outta Napoli and they just aren't a good team at playing their way outta pressure these days. Ball circulation is way too slow and the lack of a false 9 isn't creating the overloads they feasted on last year. Expecting these players to win with individual talent will never work consistently enough against set defenses in the final 3rd. The system's what made them great. Outside of counter opportunities , there was nothing of note. Found some joy down Sead's side of pitch , and they were clearly targeting that area , but that's about it.

Not over yet , especially with Arsenal's away record , but a lot of things need to change.

Could've had a couple , but Arsenal easily could've added a few more too. Fair play to Arsenal , and fair play to Emery. Well deserved. Lets see what happens in Naples.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's weird seeing Napoli go from one of the better press resisting teams in Europe to a complete mess under what is not exactly the best press in Europe. Arsenal executed well today, but that was a very poor showing from Napoli. Arsenal should be able to win this tie now, but they've put up some pretty big stinkers away lately so you never know.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
It's weird seeing Napoli go from one of the better press resisting teams in Europe to a complete mess under what is not exactly the best press in Europe. Arsenal executed well today, but that was a very poor showing from Napoli. Arsenal should be able to win this tie now, but they've put up some pretty big stinkers away lately so you never know.

It's not a huge shock. It's mainly due to Napoli doing Napoli does best, chocking. The chock best in Europe.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Albiol being out doesn't help matters. Not that Maksimovic played particularly awful , or that Albiol's a particularly great defender , but he certainly makes them more press resistant. Good with the ball and makes smart, calm decisions under pressure.

Jorginho and Sarri are obviously the biggest differences, though. A healthy Ghoulam would be a help too. Mario Rui is just .. yeah. Not a fan.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Albiol being out doesn't help matters. Not that Maksimovic played particularly awful , or that Albiol's a particularly great defender , but he certainly makes them more press resistant. Good with the ball and makes smart, calm decisions under pressure.

Jorginho and Sarri are obviously the biggest differences, though. A healthy Ghoulam would be a help too. Mario Rui is just .. yeah. Not a fan.

Pretty much what you said, I'll also add they should have started Milik. They have too many short players in attack and he has been very good this season.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah, I dunno if Milik's struggling for fitness or what. But you'd think if going in the air so much was part of the game plan, he'd be starting.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . My Napoli pals are calling for Carlo's head right now , saying they want their man back from Chelsea , lol.

Think we gotta give Ancelotti more time , and some different players in the transfer market, personally. That wasn't pretty, though. Round 1 to Emery.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Not sure if Sarri would've made a difference. With a superior Chelsea team, they barely beat Arsenal at home and played off the pitch away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad