GDT: 2018-19 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Which new addition are most looking forward to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If the Avs are healthy and in a playoff push I just don’t see Bednar putting Makar in. He wouldn’t risk a 4th line role with Kamenev last year, and a defenseman is exposed a little more.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think they will find/have a spot for Makar at the end of the college season. Injuries will happen, and even if not, pushing Barberio or Nemeth out of the lineup won't be too painful. What kind of minutes he'll get are up to him, but he'll be in the NHL in some capacity.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Just getting him into the locker room at that point would be enough for me. As you all have said, I have little faith in Bednar putting him in the lineup unless injures flare up. But as a 7th/8th man going into the playoffs I think he would thrive and be ready for stepping into the lineup for the playoffs or for the 19/20 season.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I said it when he was drafted and I still believe it today, Makar will join the team for a playoff push in the last quarter of this season once the college season ends.
Yeah, but who dies he push out when that happens? Especially if Timmins makes it by then

I’d be perplexed if it was Nemeth or something, since I doubt Makar could fill the defensive focused role right away...

Edit: ah you sort of answered that later. Scratch that

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, but who dies he push out when that happens? Especially if Timmins makes it by then

I’d be perplexed if it was Nemeth or something, since I doubt Makar could fill the defensive focused role right away...
Nemeth is good defensively, but he's a bottom pairing D. Even if Makar is no better than a #5 to start, it will at least be replacement level for Nemeth. And if he can't step in and play at a bottom pairing level after another year of college, I think we'll have way bigger problems.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Nemeth is good defensively, but he's a bottom pairing D. Even if Makar is no better than a #5 to start, it will at least be replacement level for Nemeth. And if he can't step in and play at a bottom pairing level after another year of college, I think we'll have way bigger problems.
Well, it’s the more the PK part of the role. I’m also not sure exactly how much Nemeth was use by Bednar in defensive situations despite that bottom pairing, so maybe that too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If the Avs are healthy and in a playoff push I just don’t see Bednar putting Makar in. He wouldn’t risk a 4th line role with Kamenev last year, and a defenseman is exposed a little more.

I think this is a sliding scale... a game or a few to burn a year? I think that absolutely happens. Consistent time... probably depends on a lot of different factors. And yeah, Bednar didn't risk a role with Kamenev, but Kamenev got a couple games after his injury and didn't play well (understandably... rusty in general and not used to the NHL). IMO his play in those couple games is why he didn't stick in that role. Couldn't risk him not playing well for those important games down the stretch. If Kamenev had played well... he might have found a role.

Reactions: Avs71 and McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Those will (hopefully) be two different situations. Kamenev was coming off injury, and clearly not playing at full effectiveness because of it. He may have got his legs under him a bit with his conditioning assignment but I don't think he had near enough time to get his timing back to a level where he could jump into a playoff race as a rookie.

Makar should hopefully be in full game shape having just finished his season, and could easily be an upgrade on someone like Barberio if there are injuries on the blueline.

If the defense is 100% healthy though, then it may be tough for him to bump someone like Nemeth or Cole out of the lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASmileyFace

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
What if Makar plays the tail end of the season in the AHL? Does the contract slide then? I’d hate to burn an ELC year on <20 games.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I might be quite wrong, but I get the sense with Makar that burning some of his ELC year(s) might sway him that Avs actually really care about him at the professional level.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
I recall Sakic commenting on a big part of why they brought in Cole and Calvert was because they really wanted to be there.

I honestly think that may be the most important part, and that article helps quite a bit in showing that

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Burning an ELC year is inevitable. However, I think if he plays less than 40 games it doesn't count as a pro season for expansion purposes, and since that can't happen unless he signs mid-season I don't know what else there is to do. You don't jerk around a college kid like Makar, any benefits are outweighed by the costs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Quick question regarding Borgstrom as it relates to Makar--did the Panthers purposely call him up to burn the first year of that ELC as a "favor" by the team so he reaches FA that much sooner? Or did they honestly think they needed him for the playoff push?

If yes on the first one, will the Avs be inclined to do the same?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Most teams uses the burn year as incentive to sign... and as time goes on, teams are getting less and less concerned about burning an ELC year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Quick question regarding Borgstrom as it relates to Makar--did the Panthers purposely call him up to burn the first year of that ELC as a "favor" by the team so he reaches FA that much sooner? Or did they honestly think they needed him for the playoff push?

If yes on the first one, will the Avs be inclined to do the same?

I can't speak to Borgstrom, but for some of the higher profile NCAA guys, it's purposely used as an incentive to sign. They have a bit more leverage with the UFA rules.

I imagine it will be the same with Makar, but fortunately he's also someone that could potentially help them down the stretch, so it's a a mutually beneficial situation.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017

Edit: ah you sort of answered that later. Scratch that
Barrie after a deadline trade

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Kaut finally got some practice jerseys :laugh:

That's an impressive beard for an 18 yo, almost Ekblad level.

Edit: Ok I looked at another pic on his twitter account and I take back the Ekblad comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad