GDT: 2018-19 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Which new addition are most looking forward to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Not sure how I feel either way about Tims making or being sent down, The A is rough, esp on D and honestly it doesn’t seem like it helps that much for D as opposed to fwds, am I wrong in that op?

I mean if he can skate as well or better than those bottom 3, doesn’t get blown away like a leaf if you breathe on him and keeps his errors to a minimum he should be good to go without all this perceived seasoning

I think we saw this first hand with Bigras. I agree with that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure how I feel either way about Tims making or being sent down, The A is rough, esp on D and honestly it doesn’t seem like it helps that much for D as opposed to fwds, am I wrong in that op?

I mean if he can skate as well or better than those bottom 3, doesn’t get blown away like a leaf if you breathe on him and keeps his errors to a minimum he should be good to go without all this perceived seasoning
It is a rough league from a physical perspective (I'd say more physical than the NHL), and from the jump from junior to professional is hard for a lot of players... but if a player can't make it in the AHL, they won't make in the NHL either.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just like anything, it's easy to focus on the negative situations.

Zadorov has been trending upwards since his time in the AHL. Barrie also didn't figure out how he needed to play in the NHL to have success, before he was sent to the AHL for the third season in a row. Ian Cole spent four years in the AHL as well. There's countless examples of this.

There's nothing wrong with defenseman getting some seasoning in the AHL. It's the best place for them if they're not NHL ready or junior eligible.

Reactions: MarkT and Foppberg

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Interested to see how vladdy kamenev will do this season. Did get much chance last yr due to injury.

Reactions: Goulet17

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
Lindholm for me was lukewarm. He played with some good intensity and was willing to block a shot but after his jaw (I think?) injury last year where he had to wear that cage I think he lost a bit of that. Unfortunatly for me I don't think lindholm has enough other skill to be an NHLer. .If he made it long term it would be on the back of his intensity. Lose that and he doesn't last IMO

Reactions: McMetal

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Lindholm for me was lukewarm. He played with some good intensity and was willing to block a shot but after his jaw (I think?) injury last year where he had to wear that cage I think he lost a bit of that. Unfortunatly for me I don't think lindholm has enough other skill to be an NHLer. .If he made it long term it would be on the back of his intensity. Lose that and he doesn't last IMO

I don't see how Lindholm is in the plans now, with seven NHL caliber defensemen ahead of him on the depth chart (EJ, Barrie, Girard, Z, Cole, Nemeth, Barberio). Perhaps he is fine sitting in the press box or he is fine playing in Loveland?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I expect him to start in the AHL but to get called up in December or even earlier. He doesn't need a full year in the AHL imo.

I think we will see him have a brief stint in the NHL, but I am not so sure that he transitions to a full-time NHL player by mid-season or even in the second half of the season. I expect a transition period for Timmins adjusting to some of the physicality of a pro league, particularly in the rough and tumble AHL. I do expect him to make a big push in next year's camp for full-time NHL status. I am bullish on his long term potential.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
It is a rough league from a physical perspective (I'd say more physical than the NHL), and from the jump from junior to professional is hard for a lot of players... but if a player can't make it in the AHL, they won't make in the NHL either.
Shattenkirk was an AHL bust. :sarcasm:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
When I first saw Lindholm play live in a preseason game I was impressed by how he played so much bigger than his size. He was very aggressive physically along the boards and I predicted he would get some NHL time. But you're right, if you take that away he has neither the size nor the skill to be an NHLer.

Reactions: JordoMack

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree, Lindholm needs to play with that physicality to have success. He's kind of a low skill, keep it simple, averaged sized, shot blocking defenseman in the mold of someone like Karlis Skarastins. It's very difficult for a defenseman like that to stick in the NHL full time in this day and age because of the demands on moving the puck quickly and accurately out of the zone.

He's never gonna be a puck mover, or a speedster, but he needs to make sure to work on both aspects of his game so that they're at 100% of what he's capable of. I think he'll probably need to have improved at least a slight bit in both regards to earn some NHL time this season. With the competition he'll be facing, the odds unfortunately are against him.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
With all the talk about available d spots... how about Makar?

I assume most think he’ll be signed for the last bit of the season after college ends

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
I said it when he was drafted and I still believe it today, Makar will join the team for a playoff push in the last quarter of this season once the college season ends.

Reactions: Hagstrom and Avs_19

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Probably weren't going to hear anything either way until closer to training camp. Really hope he's 100% healthy by then.
Timmins? I'm pretty sure he's been good to go for a while. Can't link to a source because it was more like bits here and there. So call it speculation but be optimistic.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It would be pretty shocking if Makar didn't turn pro at the end of the season. UMass has a good enough team to contend for a tournament spot, so it could be later... but it should still happen.

Reactions: S E P H

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
It would be pretty shocking if Makar didn't turn pro at the end of the season. UMass has a good enough team to contend for a tournament spot, so it could be later... but it should still happen.
True. But because of those contract thingys and the possible addition of Seattle i expect the Avs to play it save which means 9 games max. Of course this could change if he's pure gold by then or the Avs make a deep playoff run.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
True. But because of those contract thingys and the possible addition of Seattle i expect the Avs to play it save which means 9 games max. Of course this could change if he's pure gold by then or the Avs make a deep playoff run.

With his age, it won't slide if he plays any NHL game.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I said it when he was drafted and I still believe it today, Makar will join the team for a playoff push in the last quarter of this season once the college season ends.

That's my hope. The only unfortunate part is that we're going to have to do the whole "he needs to prove himself first" and "it's too risky playing him in a playoff race" thing once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad