Speculation: 2018-19 Trade Discussion & Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Another telltale sign is that if the Penguins are trying to trade him but still be a cup contender, something is up (he's bad, not good).

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The more I read about Brassard, the more I’m okay with it depending on the price.

If we’re also able to grab Zuccarello or another top 6 winger, I’d feel a LOT better about this team.

Let’s say we move Nichushkin + for Brassard and Ritchie + picks for Zuccarello.

Benn - Seguin - Zuccarello
Gurianov - Brassard - Radulov
Janmark - Spezza - Cogliano
Dickinson - Faksa - Pitlick
Comeau, Hintz

Looking at that, I suspect Nill only wants to add one forward while shipping another out. There are just too many bottom 6 forwards on this team right now.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
bad corsi (43% corsi this yr; -7% relative to teammates)
ugly scoring rates
wrong side of 30
likely have to overpay to get him
Corsi is lies.
His scoring rates are still an upgrade on this team.
This is a rental, so his age doesn't matter.
Why would the Stars have to overpay? If the Pens are looking to move him, I'm guessing it is to free up cap space to add somewhere else before the deadline. I can't imagine they are hoping for a big return.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The more I read about Brassard, the more I’m okay with it depending on the price.

If we’re also able to grab Zuccarello or another top 6 winger, I’d feel a LOT better about this team.

Let’s say we move Nichushkin + for Brassard and Ritchie + picks for Zuccarello.

Benn - Seguin - Zuccarello
Gurianov - Brassard - Radulov
Janmark - Spezza - Cogliano
Dickinson - Faksa - Pitlick
Comeau, Hintz

Looking at that, I suspect Nill only wants to add one forward while shipping another out. There are just too many bottom 6 forwards on this team right now.

That, or Gurianov stays in the AHL. I’d love to see him get a shot with some actual talent, though.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
bad corsi (43% corsi this yr; -7% relative to teammates)
ugly scoring rates
wrong side of 30
likely have to overpay to get him

The first two are because he plays shit minutes behind 71 and 87, when he's used to be more of the #2 pivot.

He's a UFA, and if it means moving out junk for him, whatever. Who cares if he's 31. He has 3 or 4 decent years left maybe.

And... overpay with what, Elite Dallas Stars Young Players?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Corsi is lies.
His scoring rates are still an upgrade on this team.
This is a rental, so his age doesn't matter.
Why would the Stars have to overpay? If the Pens are looking to move him, I'm guessing it is to free up cap space to add somewhere else before the deadline. I can't imagine they are hoping for a big return.

He bleeds shot attempts against
His point rate per 60 mins would be 17th, behind Roope Hintz and ahead of No Goals Nichushkin

Why would you want him?

The first two are because he plays **** minutes behind 71 and 87, when he's used to be more of the #2 pivot.

He's a UFA, and if it means moving out junk for him, whatever. Who cares if he's 31. He has 3 or 4 decent years left maybe.

And... overpay with what, Elite Dallas Stars Young Players?

He played some time on Crosby's wing this year with Guentzel- and has recently been with Pearson and Kessel. That's a better tandem than anything Dallas offers not named Benn-Radulov.

If it's junk moved for him, I don't really care for it. But I don't know how you justify playing Brassard for 18 minutes a night on the Stars if he can't carve out residual points on the Penguins.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
If you trade for Brassard- you're cutting further into capspace that could be used on forwards that can actually score (hello Michael Ferland and Wayne Simmonds)

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I don't understand the disdain for Derick Brassard. He is exactly the middle 6 (do NOT call him a bottom 6, this infers defensive skill weighting) center this organization needs. I do not know what's wrong with Spezza other than maybe lingering injuries, but Brassard CAN put up points. He went from 18+ minutes ATOI to 15 with Pittsburgh, probably with weaker wingers in a bottom 6 equivalent role to fill the loss of both Jordan Staal and Brandon Sutter. He won't have that here if we have some combination of Faksa, Dickinson, Hintz and whichever AHL guy is up to fill a role, so he'll be left to help mainly drive offense. Which we need. Which we've been complaining about. Which the price for a long term piece is out of our wheelhouse unless you want to see more picks hucked out.

Dallas would absolutely idiotic to cough up Faksa. Sure, he's not some offensive monster, but he got Selke votes last year. And the only dig against him is that he has to carry Comeau and Pitlick up and down the ice all night. And they look dangerous at times, just not actually dangerous.

He's not going to get strong wingers with whom to play here either.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
If anything, he'll get a big downgrade. He'll get to play with one of several Tom Wandell clones, an aging dude who falls down a lot, an aging dude who was awesome a decade ago, etc.
Tom Wandell sighting. Love it. That's the impression I got from some of out depth players this season- specifically Shore. A bunch of Tom Wandells. Maybe even some Tomas Vincours- I thought I remember him being a pretty good PK man but it's been a while.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Tufte? The 0.4PPG NCAA player in his THIRD SEASON?

His value is negative. Hot trash.

Exactly my point. I wouldn't give up a lot for Brassard is what I'm saying. Nothing worth of value anyways that could hurt us later on. Brassard is not someone I want signed to an extension here

mc3488

Jul 2, 2013
Houston, Tx
Nilly boy needs to pay up and get Ferland and Simmonds. Those dude actually play hard and can do something impossible like actually score a goal

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
I'm warming up to the idea of a Brassard trade- if they could snag him for cheap. Low risk/medium reward. If he meshes and you've got a decent top-6 player you can feel better about going for a bigger fish on TDL.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
So Ducks just traded Pontus Aberg for an AHLer :laugh:

Aberg had 11 goals and 19 points this season on a 42 point pace. Not much hope for getting any value out of Ritchie (obviously) and Nichushkin lol

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So Ducks just traded Pontus Aberg for an AHLer :laugh:

Aberg had 11 goals and 19 points this season on a 42 point pace. Not much hope for getting any value out of Ritchie (obviously) and Nichushkin lol

Apparently Aberg has been awful at everything except putting up points. Pretty much the exact opposite of Nichushkin. There were some whispers and speculation on the main boards that he was going to be waived soon.

Anaheim is also in a weird place right now.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
No Nichushkin at that event for that kid today.

Is he going to get traded?

Hard to tell, but it did look as though most everyone was there. I don't think I'd read too much into it, though.

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
Apparently Aberg has been awful at everything except putting up points. Pretty much the exact opposite of Nichushkin. There were some whispers and speculation on the main boards that he was going to be waived soon.

Anaheim is also in a weird place right now.

Any mad scientists on here? if we could do a Frankenstein merge of Nuke and Aberg we could have the player we need!

Plus there's lots of scope for a merged name such as Pukeberg.

Reactions: LatvianTwist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad