Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
OUCH

UNPRESIDENTIAL: How Columbus exposed the new Lightning as the old Capitals

COLUMBUS, Ohio — It’s all over now, and yet it’s bound to live on.

It will be the disappointment that all others are measured against. It will be the cautionary sports tale every parent tells a wide-eyed child. It will forever be the epitome of heartbreak in Tampa Bay.

The Lightning skated into history Tuesday night when it was swept out of the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs by the Columbus Blue Jackets following a season that once seemed bound for glory.

Lightning players were one win away from being the most successful team the NHL has ever seen in the regular season. Who would have imagined that 2018-19 Lightning team would never win another game?

There was no redemption to be found in a 7-3 Game 4 loss Tuesday, although it was the best effort Tampa Bay gave in the series. They were still a little scattered, and a lot less impressive than you recalled, but Lightning players at least showed more heart than the previous eight periods combined.

And for sports fans in Tampa Bay, this is a whole new level of despair. It’s a shot of incredulity with a chaser of depression. In a way, it’s almost as if an entire community was duped. For six months, the Lightning had you believing you were seeing something historic.

And in the end, it was all choke and mirrors.

We went from the most dominant regular season in Tampa Bay sports history to the most devastating postseason we’ll likely ever see.

Losing is one thing, collapsing is something entirely different. And this Lightning team will be synonymous with history’s swiftest downfalls.

No President’s Trophy winner has ever been swept out of the first round of the playoffs, let alone one that tied the NHL’s record for victories. It’s like getting a perfect SAT score and then misspelling your name on a college application.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This is staggering

D4Rs2uFW0AMX69i.jpg:large

Reactions: BMC and Silva

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Do you live in Minnesota? It always struck me as strange that fans there never really took to the North Stars, because it's such a hockey rich environment. Also, I assumed BB would liven up the Wild a bit, no?

No I have relatives up there though they don't care for hockey

I know the North Stars played in dump of a stadium and the team was pretty crappy most of 80's only making playoffs so much because of NHL divisional format and fact Norris was worst division in hockey

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
No I have relatives up there though they don't care for hockey

I know the North Stars played in dump of a stadium and the team was pretty crappy most of 80's only making playoffs so much because of NHL divisional format and fact Norris was worst division in hockey

Okay.

,BTW, Look up the Norris family, if you wish. Bad, bad family who effectively ruled the NHL for many years.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
They wanted Rask last time then took Jones instead.

Time for Rask to solidify his position here by stealing game 4 and 5.

Rask has solidified himself here. Management got lucky they kept Rask from cold feet. The skaters need to show up. Rask has more then kept them in games.

Reactions: Walkenthewalk

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
took a peek at the Tampa GDT expecting to take pleasure in their suffering and came away feeling bad for them. Their grief reminds me so much of the Bruins in 2010. Lots of them saying things like Cooper can't be brought back after a failure like that. Funny how so many felt the same way about Claude after 2010. This really sucks for them, but they'd be dumb to blow it all up IMO

Reactions: OV
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille