Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No I have relatives up there though they don't care for hockey

I know the North Stars played in dump of a stadium and the team was pretty crappy most of 80's only making playoffs so much because of NHL divisional format and fact Norris was worst division in hockey

The Met Center wasn't a dump but the St Paul Civic Center was much nicer for hockey

St._Paul_Civic_Center_Inaugural_Game_January_1__1973_large.jpg

The North Stars also were clueless with PR - a prime example was replacing a popular local organist in 1987 with Nancy Faust who they flew in from Chicago for games. That didn't go over well with the locals.

Reactions: BMC

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
"Puts a blemish on the regular season" :laugh:

Dude... Y'all choked. In the playoffs.

I think he's in denial

Less than 2 weeks ago a reporter asked Torts if he was upset the team was playing Tampa instead or Washington and he said 'No, this is the matchup I wanted' and he had that Scotty Bowman look when he said it.

What should scare both Babcock and Cassidy is Torts now have a week to prepare for either team.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Less than 2 weeks ago a reporter asked Torts if he was upset the team was playing Tampa instead or Washington and he said 'No, this is the matchup I wanted' and he had that Scotty Bowman look when he said it.

What should scare both Babcock and Cassidy is Torts now have a week to prepare for either team.
So he can be overconfident and get swept by the Bruins :D

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What makes the Tampa collapse even more historic is how Game 1 started

Torts exploded after the first period

Right now would anybody be shocked if Columbus wound up winning the Cup?

Reactions: OV and BMC

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Our biggest threat is out of the playoffs. Turn it up to 11 and beat the **** out of the leafs.

Dunno about that... Washington is still in it and if the Bruins advance, Columbus is as tough an out as there will be. After that you’re looking at either facing the defending Cup champs or a hungry Islanders team that’ll be just as tough as Columbus

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
OUCH

UNPRESIDENTIAL: How Columbus exposed the new Lightning as the old Capitals

COLUMBUS, Ohio — It’s all over now, and yet it’s bound to live on.

It will be the disappointment that all others are measured against. It will be the cautionary sports tale every parent tells a wide-eyed child. It will forever be the epitome of heartbreak in Tampa Bay.

The Lightning skated into history Tuesday night when it was swept out of the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs by the Columbus Blue Jackets following a season that once seemed bound for glory.

Lightning players were one win away from being the most successful team the NHL has ever seen in the regular season. Who would have imagined that 2018-19 Lightning team would never win another game?

There was no redemption to be found in a 7-3 Game 4 loss Tuesday, although it was the best effort Tampa Bay gave in the series. They were still a little scattered, and a lot less impressive than you recalled, but Lightning players at least showed more heart than the previous eight periods combined.

And for sports fans in Tampa Bay, this is a whole new level of despair. It’s a shot of incredulity with a chaser of depression. In a way, it’s almost as if an entire community was duped. For six months, the Lightning had you believing you were seeing something historic.

And in the end, it was all choke and mirrors.

We went from the most dominant regular season in Tampa Bay sports history to the most devastating postseason we’ll likely ever see.

Losing is one thing, collapsing is something entirely different. And this Lightning team will be synonymous with history’s swiftest downfalls.

No President’s Trophy winner has ever been swept out of the first round of the playoffs, let alone one that tied the NHL’s record for victories. It’s like getting a perfect SAT score and then misspelling your name on a college application.

I’ll change the last part to “It’s like getting a perfect SAT score then flunking out of college in your sophomore year.”

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

LOL. Yikes. :facepalm:

It’s the same thing pretty much all over the league. A few of us have pointed it out in the thread about distractions between whistles. You have amateurs doing lights and sound for the games and this is what you get

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I find it ironic that after all the whining and complaining and *&^&**ing about how "unfair" the playoff format is, we see a No.8 seed not only win but sweep a No.1 seed that just completed the best regular season we've seen in over 2 decades.

Face facts, the gap between 1 and 8, or 3 and 4 or whatever, simply isn't that big anymore. Every team that qualifies for the dance is a very good team who can beat any other team if they play well enough and work hard enough. When comparing a regular season record where quality teams play many games against weaker clubs, you can toss that all out the window now when you get to the playoffs and it's a quality team vs. another quality team in a best of 7 and the pace/intensity/etc. gets elevated significantly.

All this talk about a "path to the cup" being cleared for the Bruins (or the Leafs) by Tampa's early exit is foolishness. That's a heck of a team over in Columbus and will be just as, if not more, of a challenge to defeat than Tampa would of been.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I find it ironic that after all the whining and complaining and *&^&**ing about how "unfair" the playoff format is, we see a No.8 seed not only win but sweep a No.1 seed that just completed the best regular season we've seen in over 2 decades.

Face facts, the gap between 1 and 8, or 3 and 4 or whatever, simply isn't that big anymore. Every team that qualifies for the dance is a very good team who can beat any other team if they play well enough and work hard enough. When comparing a regular season record where quality teams play many games against weaker clubs, you can toss that all out the window now when you get to the playoffs and it's a quality team vs. another quality team in a best of 7 and the pace/intensity/etc. gets elevated significantly.

All this talk about a "path to the cup" being cleared for the Bruins (or the Leafs) by Tampa's early exit is foolishness. That's a heck of a team over in Columbus and will be just as, if not more, of a challenge to defeat than Tampa would of been.

Great post. Perhaps the lesson learned is go all in....

There is a slight difference in the CBJ's team make up / going all in trade deadline. You can say they significantly improved there team. Duchesne has been fantastic this playoff.

Reactions: Fossy21

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Great post. Perhaps the lesson learned is go all in....

There is a slight difference in the CBJ's team make up / going all in trade deadline. You can say they significantly improved there team. Duchesne has been fantastic this playoff.

Did they though? They did get better adding Duchene, no doubt. Dzingel was a non-factor in the 1st round vs. TB. They were a really good team that got better at the deadline, but not by leaps and bounds though.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Did they though? They did get better adding Duchene, no doubt. Dzingel was a non-factor in the 1st round vs. TB. They were a really good team that got better at the deadline, but not by leaps and bounds though.

Dzingel was always known for his aggressive all out play versus points. Points will come however he brings another element that has complimented the CBJs.

Your post is bang on...not much separating NHL teams other than key injuries, bad luck, bad coaching, and will.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Dzingel was always known for his aggressive all out play versus points. Points will come however he brings another element that has complimented the CBJs.

Your post is bang on...not much separating NHL teams other than key injuries, bad luck, bad coaching, and will.

Good point on Dzingel. (Pardon the pun)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
WOW how disappointed must the Tamp fans be? NO ONE would have guessed that they wouldn't win even one game in the playoffs.

Also the Pens. I wondered how many times Sid cried to the refs?

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
I said the Tampa series was the most likely sweep.

But the other way around!!

Absolutely bonkers. Who would have thought. And Colorado up? What a crazy year. Hope we don't end up in this lower seed victory group. Maybe home ice wasn't a good idea!

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
He is injured and it’s very obvious. The lower body i juries are catching up. Pre Matt Cooke Karlsson was special. Even a few years ago he tore apart the Bruins.

It is, his groin still or something lower body is slowing him down big time.

He’s getting torched back there. He’s having a tough time turning his body to make plays.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
took a peek at the Tampa GDT expecting to take pleasure in their suffering and came away feeling bad for them. Their grief reminds me so much of the Bruins in 2010. Lots of them saying things like Cooper can't be brought back after a failure like that. Funny how so many felt the same way about Claude after 2010. This really sucks for them, but they'd be dumb to blow it all up IMO

Some of there fans were unbelievably obnoxious this season. I feel bad for some of the more quiet, reserved fans. But the ones talking about 16-0 and ruthlessly trash talking the CBJ fans before the series got what was coming to them.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Now all of a sudden, Torts is coach of the year? A couple of weeks ago when it was in doubt whether or not the Jackets would even make the playoffs, he sucked :laugh:

People are so overreactive with their takes on things.

Regardless of the outcome of the TB v CBJ series, if the B’s advance, I would rather face Columbus than Tampa. Bob has looked good, but he could sit for a week and stink up the joint and Torts is a meltdown waiting to happen.

As is the case every year, the teams that execute better advance and the ones that don’t go golfing.

And despite the upset, I still don’t like the current playoff format.

Reactions: BruinsFTW and OV

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
Good morning all. I'm still caught up in the euphoria of witnessing both Tampa and Pittsburgh get slayed. With that being said, I offer two words to my fellow Bruins Nation: Stay Humble. We have our own uphill climb to even see 2nd round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->