Speculation: 2018-19 roster

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Apparently the Lightning are looking to get rid of Coburn and Koekkek. Would we be interested in either as further cover? With Schmidt's suspension and depth needed for the playoffs? I can't imagine either one costing more than a 4th or 5th round pick.

Coburn is a solid bottom pair guy who is a reliable veteran that can fill in on a bottom pair or even a middle pair for a bit or still be a 7D and be ready when needed.

It would probably send Bischoff, Whitecloud, Brannstrom and Hague to the AHL the entire season. I couldn't see any of them getting more than a few games if we grabbed another veteran D. One of Engelland, Holden and Coburn would need to be 7D every night when Schmidt comes back.

Merrill and Hunt would probably not play too many games at all either but Coburn is a definite improvement on both.

Reactions: MordredGK

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Hey guys, has Bischoff made the team? Thanks in advance.

Maybe. But as he is exempt from waivers, he would not need to clear them to be assigned to AHL.

Guys doing community stuff today. So there may not be an announcement WRT final roster moves until tomorrow.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
If a player is exempt from waivers, there is no minimum/maximum they can be on NHL roster or # of games to play.

If a player is not exempt, he must clear waivers to be assigned to AHL. Once recalled, he can play up to 9 games or be on NHL roster up to 29 days -- cumulative (in both cases) before having to clear waivers again.

Vegas Golden Knights - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Look for the green arrow -- that indicates a player who is exempt from waivers.

The site has not (yet) set their season opening rosters, just those they think will be on the NHL opening roster.

Vegas Golden Knights 2018 Roster

VGK roster (still) has 16F, and 9D. So another 5 or so cuts coming. (I think they may be able to have 23 on the roster, plus suspended Schmidt.)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Corollary, if a player subject to waivers starts on NHL roster, they can play any # of games in NHL. BUT if it's desired he be assigned to AHL, then he would have to clear waivers before he could be assigned.

Many of the "kids" that might make the opening roster may have waiver exempt status so they don't need to pass through them to be assigned (in November when Schmidt returns).

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If a player is exempt from waivers, there is no minimum/maximum they can be on NHL roster or # of games to play.

If a player is not exempt, he must clear waivers to be assigned to AHL. Once recalled, he can play up to 9 games or be on NHL roster up to 29 days -- cumulative (in both cases) before having to clear waivers again.

Vegas Golden Knights - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Look for the green arrow -- that indicates a player who is exempt from waivers.

The site has not (yet) set their season opening rosters, just those they think will be on the NHL opening roster.

Vegas Golden Knights 2018 Roster

VGK roster (still) has 16F, and 9D. So another 5 or so cuts coming. (I think they may be able to have 23 on the roster, plus suspended Schmidt.)

Didn't the RJ post a list of the Knights roster? I remember it had Lindberg at 3C. Was that just their guesses or was it the final official team?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Didn't the RJ post a list of the Knights roster? I remember it had Lindberg at 3C. Was that just their guesses or was it the final official team?

He's practicing in place of Eakin (injured)
Tuch is also injured today so Haula skated with Stastny and Patches
Merrill also absent, so Hunt was in for him

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
He's practicing in place of Eakin (injured)
Tuch is also injured today so Haula skated with Stastny and Patches
Merrill also absent, so Hunt was in for him

Is this just because Tuch is injured or do you think we are likely to go with a third line of like, Nosek-Lindberg-Tuch and give Haula a shot at the second line winger spot to start the season?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Is this just because Tuch is injured or do you think we are likely to go with a third line of like, Nosek-Lindberg-Tuch and give Haula a shot at the second line winger spot to start the season?

Personally I would go with the right handed Tuch and I like Haula at LW or C (and Nosek at RW for that matter) but I don't think Turk has made up his mind yet.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Personally I would go with the right handed Tuch and I like Haula at LW or C (and Nosek at RW for that matter) but I don't think Turk has made up his mind yet.

It's good to have options, at least. Season is 82 games. I'm sure they will all get some looks early in the season and whichever one of them takes the opportunity will stay with Patches and Stastny.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've got a feeling Haula gets a shot at second line prior to moving Tuch up.

Gallant seems to like loyalty and really seems to like the idea of earning a spot.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

I've been guessing that Turk will play Haula on the right wing as long as it works (even tho he's a leftie). It doesn't seem optimal, but it could work.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think if Tuch is out the first few games, hopefully we call up Carr, rather than just plug in Carrier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad