Speculation: 2018-19 roster

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I still feel like Perron feels the market and returns to LV.

I hope not. I'd rather they go after Stastny for 4 years, 24 million than bring back either Perron or Neal. Stastny can put up those points and win some freaking faceoffs!!! Also is only like two years older.

In other thoughts, on the trade boards it says Tatar has a full NTC that kicks in tomorrow o_O

I thought that contract would be movable during the last two years with minimal retention but if we have to get him to approve that makes it harder and also takes a bad trade and downgrades it to terrible for me.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
CapFriendly's got his NTC as a full NTC from tomorrow until TDL (or so) 2020, after which it's a 15 teamer.

It's not optimal, but he'll get a year and a half to make it work here.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
CapFriendly's got his NTC as a full NTC from tomorrow until TDL (or so) 2020, after which it's a 15 teamer.

It's not optimal, but he'll get a year and a half to make it work here.

I don't mind giving him this year to see if it works better.

But next year (especially if Ryan is on the books) with Smith, Marchessault, Tuch (probably) all making 5 million on the wing and hopefully bringing in Gusev and Glass/Suzuki making their way into the lineup, I think we would be better off getting rid of Tatar's cap hit unless he has a career 50 plus point season next year and makes himself more valuable than one of them.

I think having the flexibility to trade him before 2019-20 would benefit us greatly.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Dreger has to be wrong, right?

Reaves 2 years, 2.775M PER YEAR?!

That has to be the total for the two years...otherwise McPhee is being awful at his job.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Dreger has to be wrong, right?

Reaves 2 years, 2.775M PER YEAR?!

That has to be the total for the two years...otherwise McPhee is being awful at his job.

Yeah I was expecting 2.7 for the entirety. If that is per year GMGM def overpaid, but at least it's only a 2 year deal and he has oodles of cap space to work with. It's not going to hurt us.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah I was expecting 2.7 for the entirety. If that is per year GMGM def overpaid, but at least it's only a 2 year deal and he has oodles of cap space to work with. It's not going to hurt us.

We can definitely afford it this season but next year, we have guys due raises, along with this year's raises and any players we may get to make the team better.

Plus it creates a terrible precedent for future contracts for our third and fourth liners if he's getting that much. Why would they take any less when they can argue he brings at most 10-15 points and some grit and he's getting paid?

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

Not surprised at the destination. I just hope it wasn't a deal that could/should have been matched by GMGM. EDIT: Appears to be 4x4. I am a little disappointed GMGM wasn't willing to match that. I don't think that would be a bad deal at all for Vegas.

Hoping 4x6.

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012

Gotta think that means Theo/Miller is going in any potential EK deal. The 3rd pair should be some rotating combo of Merrill/Holden/Engelland.

If EK doesn't get done maybe we see Theo/Engelland and Holden/Miller. I really hope that's not the case because Engelland shouldn't be playing upwards of 20 minutes per night again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegan Knight

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I love the term and AAV for Stastny. He was the guy I wanted at the deadline. 5 or 6 years would have been too long. Perfect deal for VGK.

Holden is going to be an ok guy on the bottom pairing. I would have liked Jack "MF" Johnson's sweetheart deal with the Pens to replace Engelland for the long term.

I like Neal more than Perron, but can't believe after all the talk about how he wanted more term and a raise, he settles with the Blues for 4 years, $4M AAV. GMGM could have and should have matched that offer.

I still can't believe the Reaves deal. What did he do for VGK? He wasn't even a deterrent in the Finals at getting the Caps to lay off with the dirty hits. 2 years, $1.3M is what he should have gotten max for a player that will possibly spend 1/4 of the season eating nachos in the press box.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I love the term and AAV for Stastny. He was the guy I wanted at the deadline. 5 or 6 years would have been too long. Perfect deal for VGK.

Holden is going to be an ok guy on the bottom pairing. I would have liked Jack "MF" Johnson's sweetheart deal with the Pens to replace Engelland for the long term.

I like Neal more than Perron, but can't believe after all the talk about how he wanted more term and a raise, he settles with the Blues for 4 years, $4M AAV. GMGM could have and should have matched that offer.

I still can't believe the Reaves deal. What did he do for VGK? He wasn't even a deterrent in the Finals at getting the Caps to lay off with the dirty hits. 2 years, $1.3M is what he should have gotten max for a player that will possibly spend 1/4 of the season eating nachos in the press box.

Reaves is the guy with the tough guy premium, let him eat his nachos.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Well.....

Oh man, he should have taken the earlier deal if he wanted to stay. Not needed anymore.

Smith-Karlsson-Marchessault
Tuch-Stastny-Haula
Tatar-Eakin-Ryan/Hyka
Nosek-Bellemare-Reaves
Carrier/Carpenter/Carr/Pirri/Pulkinnen/Lindberg

With guys like Glass, Suzuki, Gusev possibilities in future seasons.

We don't have cap space to spend even 4-5M (for even 4 seasons only) on a luxury for us when we need to upgrade on defense and have forward positions well covered now.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
At the presser today McPhee talked about going with 8dmen again this year, and maybe just 7 the next. He said there's some kids he wants getting minutes in the AHL(Hague, Brannstrom presumably) and some kids that can be called up but should spend most of their time developing (maybe Bischoff and Whitecloud)

I took it to mean as of right now Merrill and Hunt are still 7 and 8th D.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Thoughts on the off season so far? Letting Neal and Perron go but bringing in Stastny seems like a good move to me. I wonder if McPhee is counting on Tatar to replace some of the production that left with Neal and Perron. Reaves got too much money IMO.

I wonder if the price for EK is dropping. Getting him without giving up Glass would be great, provided that he wants to re-sign now.

What do we think Wild Bill is getting? Seems like a tricky contract because he has no real compatibles. He had a fantastic year, and I'm not calling it a fluke, but how much do you weigh his previous years vs his breakout year?

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Thoughts on the off season so far? Letting Neal and Perron go but bringing in Stastny seems like a good move to me. I wonder if McPhee is counting on Tatar to replace some of the production that left with Neal and Perron. Reaves got too much money IMO.

I wonder if the price for EK is dropping. Getting him without giving up Glass would be great, provided that he wants to re-sign now.

What do we think Wild Bill is getting? Seems like a tricky contract because he has no real compatibles. He had a fantastic year, and I'm not calling it a fluke, but how much do you weigh his previous years vs his breakout year?
Getting a contract offer does not mean Erik wants to stay in Ottawa.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Getting a contract offer does not mean Erik wants to stay in Ottawa.
I completely agree lol, I didn't phrase that well. I meant provided he wants to re-sign now, like this off season, with whichever team acquires him. I think his acquisition price may be dropping because he doesn't want to re-sign in Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad