Speculation: 2018-19 roster

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I completely agree lol, I didn't phrase that well. I meant provided he wants to re-sign now, like this off season, with whichever team acquires him. I think his acquisition price may be dropping because he doesn't want to re-sign in Ottawa.
Apparently Ottawa is letting teams talk extension with EK now which let's Ottawa hold the cards again. Only way that backfires on them is if EK is unwilling to talk extension with anyone.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Apparently Ottawa is letting teams talk extension with EK now which let's Ottawa hold the cards again. Only way that backfires on them is if EK is unwilling to talk extension with anyone.
Interesting. If he's looking to re-sign for what Doughty got that takes a lot of the risk out of trading for him.

I'm not sure Ottawa has a ton of leverage still though, who else can afford and is interested in EK? I guess maybe if Yzerman could use his contract voodoo magic to make EK take like half the money he wants they're a threat. I could be totally off base, but right now it seems to me like Ottawa held out for more value, and is actually getting worse and fewer offers. McPhee could make out like a bandit here.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Interesting. If he's looking to re-sign for what Doughty got that takes a lot of the risk out of trading for him.

I'm not sure Ottawa has a ton of leverage still though, who else can afford and is interested in EK? I guess maybe if Yzerman could use his contract voodoo magic to make EK take like half the money he wants they're a threat. I could be totally off base, but right now it seems to me like Ottawa held out for more value, and is actually getting worse and fewer offers. McPhee could make out like a bandit here.
Maybe. It's just my impression that being the team that actually puts the negotiated extension down to paper for Karlsson to sign means they can tell the team to screw if they don't like what they're getting back in a trade. They can wait out till the next trade deadline to screw all the suitors out of adding EK until then.

Reactions: McCoy

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Maybe. It's just my impression that being the team that actually puts the negotiated extension down to paper for Karlsson to sign means they can tell the team to screw if they don't like what they're getting back in a trade. They can wait out till the next trade deadline to screw all the suitors out of adding EK until then.
True. Hopefully EK is in black and gold soon.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I wish EK had an open contract AFTER the next season, since I really don't feel good fixing something that ain't broken.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I wish EK had an open contract AFTER the next season, since I really don't feel good fixing something that ain't broken.

I'm not understanding you. EK is an unrestricted free agent after this upcoming season. He doesn't have to accept an extension with any teams even though Ottawa is letting him do so.

He will likely get traded as Ottawa needs to replenish to farm after that brutal Duchene deal and can't afford to lose him for nothing. Ottawa will trade EK to the team that gives them the most, not what EK wants. There's a chance someone offers Ottawa a great packqge, but EK refuses to sign a long term deal and then the deal dies as the team will want an extended EK.

I have a feeling that the return for EK could be underwhelming. Ottawa will ask for a lot, but if an extension is not agreed upon because it's a destination that EK doesn't want to play out his prime years, the assets going to Ottawa gets worse.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Smith-Karlsson-Marchessault
Haula-Stastny-Carpenter <- Carpenter and Haula had instant chemistry, I hope I'm not the only one who saw it.
Tatar-Eakin-Tuch <- Eakin will make this work
Nosek-Bellemare-Carrier

Really good thing is that lines 2-4 are interchangeable, any possible combination should work decently well. Carpy in the 2nd line is a result of me seeing every Haula game... ever. Haula is a high tempo/low stamina player and intelligent defensive line mates will able him to use that energy in the O-zone.

Reactions: McCoy

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The Knights are at 49 contracts if Dansk re-signs with the other RFAs. :confused:

That's not counting Glass, Suzuki, Brannstrom and Hague, who are exempt as long as they don't make the big club.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If we're looking to buy low on a talented guy who might be able to help add some needed scoring depth, we could give Duclair a look.

He can definitely be serviceable middle six help at least, maybe could still be a top six winger, and we have the system and development philosophy here that could turn things around for him.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Tuch to Sens to cover E.Karlsson to VGK and the swede will force up to ending behind no 1 look like MacKinnon, Tavares, Rantanen or some other super from last season ending no 1.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Tuch gonna trades to Ducks, Senators, Rangers or some else nhl teams! :D:D

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
[Insert Obligatory "Not a big deal/expected" Post Here]

:laugh:

It's such a crazy situation it feel like it almost has to go to a hearing. The agent isn't doing his job if he doesn't demand the top end and McPhee isn't doing his if he doesn't go conservative and those two figures are probably going to be miles apart. I assume GMGM will want to get him for 5 X 5 like he did with Marchy, but the agent could be asking as high as $8 AAV. This one kinda seems destined to get a ruling.

Reactions: Sir Goose

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
It's such a crazy situation it feel like it almost has to go to a hearing. The agent isn't doing his job if he doesn't demand the top end and McPhee isn't doing his if he doesn't go conservative and those two figures are probably going to be miles apart. I assume GMGM will want to get him for 5 X 5 like he did with Marchy, but the agent could be asking as high as $8 AAV. This one kinda seems destined to get a ruling.

Couldn't agree more. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to find a deal that makes sense for both sides, when dealing with a guy who went from 6 to 43 goals in a contract year. Can we just skip right to the hearing and give him his 2-year contract now?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
William Karlsson's next contract would be in the 5 million range for 2 years or 6 million range 4-8 years.

At center, Tyler Johnson had a 70 plus point season also, without a ridiculously high shooting percentage, and had showed more consistency toward being at least a 50 point player (not a 25 point player) in other seasons when he signed a 5 million, 7 year contract just last year at the same age. Also had a monster playoff run too. Same tax advantage as Tampa also.

Karlsson's is coming right after his big season but he is still an RFA and the signs are there that Vegas should be shooting for 5.5-6.5 for 4-8 years and I don't think an arbitrator would give over 6 for 2.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Couldn't agree more. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to find a deal that makes sense for both sides, when dealing with a guy who went from 6 to 43 goals in a contract year. Can we just skip right to the hearing and give him his 2-year contract now?

A 2 year 4m AAV arbitration ruling would be pretty amazing, followed by re-signing him 8 years at 7-8m. :naughty:

Now that the Knights probably aren't going to give up an arm and a leg to get the other Karlsson, should they be done? Do they sign Hamhuis or a similar LD to strengthen their biggest weakness from the playoffs? Do they make a pitch for Skinner, Pacioretty, Saad or Panarin?

Marchy Karlsson Smith
Tatar Stastny Tuch
Haula Eakin Carr
Nosek Belly Carpenter
Reaves
Carrier

Theodore Schmidt
McNabb Miller
_____ Engelland
Holden
Miller

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
A 2 year 4m AAV arbitration ruling would be pretty amazing, followed by re-signing him 8 years at 7-8m. :naughty:

Now that the Knights probably aren't going to give up an arm and a leg to get the other Karlsson, should they be done? Do they sign Hamhuis or a similar LD to strengthen their biggest weakness from the playoffs? Do they make a pitch for Skinner, Pacioretty, Saad or Panarin?

Marchy Karlsson Smith
Tatar Stastny Tuch
Haula Eakin Carr
Nosek Belly Carpenter
Reaves
Carrier

Theodore Schmidt
McNabb Miller
_____ Engelland
Holden
Miller

Hamhuis is not really good anymore but as a one year plug if he's better than what we've got then whatever.

I don't want to use up our assets trading for a Skinner, Pacioretty or Saad type.

From that group, it would be Panarin or bust. The only way to roll from possibly losing out on a superstar is to roll to getting another. That's what Tampa is supposedly doing, although I'm still puzzled why because they don't need it in the slightest.

EDIT: The more I think about it, if they could do it, Panarin and Gusev on a second line could be insane in a year.

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Marchy Karlsson Smith
Tatar Stastny Tuch
Haula Eakin Carr
Nosek Belly Carpenter
Reaves
Carrier

Theodore Schmidt
McNabb Miller
_____ Engelland
Holden
Miller

This won't go to ruling. GMGM will realize the mistake after seeing the stats, and sign him after the hearing...

KB8izQR.png

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
This won't go to ruling. GMGM will realize the mistake after seeing the stats, and sign him after the hearing...

KB8izQR.png

They don't just look at the preceding season. Tyler Johnson showed more than Karlsson has shown at this point and got 5 million for 7 years just last year.

Vegas can also come armed with those shooting % numbers that seem to suggest Karlsson is in for some kind of regression.

I still think he can be great, a real Bergeron type center if he can work on his faceoffs, but he is still an RFA, pretty unproven consistently and we hold some cards here and a long term deal can get done in the 6 range. Don't think Karlsson gets more than 6 in arbitration or more than 7 on a long term deal.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Smith-Karlsson-Marchessault
Haula-Stastny-Carpenter <- Carpenter and Haula had instant chemistry, I hope I'm not the only one who saw it.
Tatar-Eakin-Tuch <- Eakin will make this work
Nosek-Bellemare-Carrier

Really good thing is that lines 2-4 are interchangeable, any possible combination should work decently well. Carpy in the 2nd line is a result of me seeing every Haula game... ever. Haula is a high tempo/low stamina player and intelligent defensive line mates will able him to use that energy in the O-zone.

This is the best. :D

:vegas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad