Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
the team when healthy will still be competitive.

What we really need is a major philosophical change in coaching. Speed game. Develop Young Players.

Unfortunately, Bob is giving Carlyle a chance to change. I'd prefer him fired. It is what it is.

I think the only hope is that we play our young players, get them the experience, stay in playoff contention, and hope kesler is ready by the end of the season.

Between Henrique, Getzlaf, and a re-signed Grant, we can survive at center. Perry, Rakell, Kase, Silf, Cogliano, Eaves, Ritchie. Not ideal, but honestly top bad top 9 wingers.

Play Steel, Jones tons, Terry, Kosilla, Roy tons and see who sticks.

I also expect a former 1st round bust signing like Yakupov and token veteran 3rd pairing defenseman getting played top4 minutes (see Jack Johnson).

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I'll be interested to hear what he has to say at the select a seat. More info there than any other time. It's soon, isn't it?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Speaking of Grant, has anybody heard anything, from any source, about him? I'm guessing that by now he will at least shop himself and see what anybody else offers. I'm just curious if Bob has even made contact with him or not.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think this is possible. That or BM wants to add another Top 6 Veteran but allow 2 rookies to fill out the top 7 like Pettersson, Larsson and Welinski. Most likely Welinski as he will require waivers I think. The D would look like this:
Lindy-Manson
Fowler-Monty/Vet
Pettersson-Monty/vet
Welinski as the #7.

I'd rather keep Welinski in an everyday role, not sitting on the bench. Might as well leave Welinski at the AHL level. Last year Welinski was an AHL all-star. Maybe it's time he gets burn. Lindolm, Manson, and Fowler are our veterans now. Fowler is going into the 9th year, Lindholm into his 6th year, and Manson into his 5th year. Montour is going into his 3rd year in the NHL level. Pettersson got 22 regular season games in and Welinski got 7 regular season games.

Welinski's got a booming shot from the point. He's be okay in the third pairing as 2nd or 1st PP unit.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I'd rather keep Welinski in an everyday role, not sitting on the bench. Might as well leave Welinski at the AHL level. Last year Welinski was an AHL all-star. Maybe it's time he gets burn. Lindolm, Manson, and Fowler are our veterans now. Fowler is going into the 9th year, Lindholm into his 6th year, and Manson into his 5th year. Montour is going into his 3rd year in the NHL level. Pettersson got 22 regular season games in and Welinski got 7 regular season games.

Welinski's got a booming shot from the point. He's be okay in the third pairing as 2nd or 1st PP unit.

Did someone not just mention hes waiver eligible this season?

Edit: Think he needs 50 more games still. Would prefer him in the NHL, though.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Did someone not just mention hes waiver eligible this season?

Edit: Think he needs 50 more games still. Would prefer him in the NHL, though.
You're right. He needs 50 more games or 1 more year. I don't mind Welinski, but I am not really convinced he is a NHL player yet. I am also not sure I am comfortable playing him with another rookie like Petterson or Larsson. If they are the given roster spots RC will likely feel the need to shelter either or both by putting them with 1 of Lindholm, Fowler, or Manson. So we would be looking at weakening the top 4 in order to shelter him a bit and give both players a better chance at success in the sense they aren't having to worry about the other guy on their Pair making rookie mistakes. We saw it last year with Pettersson. I just can't see BM being okay with an all Rookie pair.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
I'll be interested to hear what he has to say at the select a seat. More info there than any other time. It's soon, isn't it?
Select a seat has already happened but there was no event associated with it. They’re doing some sort of summer event with BM and other staff later on, I think in July sometime.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Select a seat has already happened but there was no event associated with it. They’re doing some sort of summer event with BM and other staff later on, I think in July sometime.

Oh yeah? That's interesting

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Looks like every one of our RFAs was qualified today. The only one I really wondered about was kerdiles, but he will be super cheap anyway.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You're right. He needs 50 more games or 1 more year. I don't mind Welinski, but I am not really convinced he is a NHL player yet. I am also not sure I am comfortable playing him with another rookie like Petterson or Larsson. If they are the given roster spots RC will likely feel the need to shelter either or both by putting them with 1 of Lindholm, Fowler, or Manson. So we would be looking at weakening the top 4 in order to shelter him a bit and give both players a better chance at success in the sense they aren't having to worry about the other guy on their Pair making rookie mistakes. We saw it last year with Pettersson. I just can't see BM being okay with an all Rookie pair.

Welinski-Pettersson is an inexpensive option for Bob. But we have three young defensemen to play around with as a third pairing between Welinski, Pettersson, and Larsson. Oh, and Megna. So we can start off with the rookies as a third pairing and if we need to trade for a veteran defenseman at the trade deadline or sooner, then so be it.

Welinski represented the Gulls at the AHL all-stars. He's been in the AHL for the past two seasons after four years in college. He needs to get some NHL burn and seasoning. You can't get that down in the AHL. Also, last year, both Welinski and Pettersson commented on how well they got along on the NHL ice was due to the fact they were a pairing down in San Diego.

We have to give these youngings a burn. We probably will have Holzer available if no one picks him up off of waivers.

Look at VGK and the employment of young Shea Theodore. Over 60 regular season NHL games as well as 20 playoff NHL games. Lead the defense in scoring in the playoffs. We all know Shea still doesn't have the bulk to be a very good defensive defenseman, but he's got that offensive vision. Shea is 22 years old. Pettersson is 22 years old. Welinski is 25 years old. Larsson is 21.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
After thinking about it, Murray may be targeting another top 4 guy because he, apparently, is being adamant to Carlyle that he's got to distribute the minutes more. Just don't overpay a bottom pairing guy Bob.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
The minutes distribution is more a problem with the forwards

agreed

edit: To elaborate: I agree the forward distribution is a much bigger deal, but when you look at current roster, there's really not any room to add one. I imagine he's prioritizing depth and more minutes distributed so he's wanting 5 top 4 guys.

Last edited:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Summary:

Murray said come September, he’ll be looking at the leadership group.

Eric Stephens speculates that the Ducks won’t move Getzlaf, Perry, or Kesler. No one wants the last two.

Murray said he wants to “make some change.” But it has been harder than he thought.

GMs thought the cap would increase to more than $80M.

Lots of talk between GMs. “Pretty good free agents” out there that teams are waiting on.

Kesler said that if he feels as bad as he did last season, that he doesn’t know if he can keep playing. Last season was really hard on Kesler.

Kesler said he's getting better. “I feel like an athlete again.” Murray doesn’t know what that means until he puts skates on.

Expected to have good news on an extension next week. Wouldn’t say who.

Extending Gibson is a high priority. Murray wants to resign Silfverberg and Henrique. Wants to sign them in the next couple of months or early into season. Hopeful he can fit them all under the cap.

Murray wants to make changes, but doesn’t feel any pressure.

“Things have to change. On and off the ice.”
Thanks and for the record my source with the Ducks said the exact same thing about Kesler potentially retiring and I got a bunch of crap that now way he would retire with that money on the table.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks and for the record my source with the Ducks said the exact same thing about Kesler potentially retiring and I got a bunch of crap that now way he would retire with that money on the table.

He's not going to retire. The article mentions that if things don't get better Kes "may not be able to keep playing". Not being able to play does not equal retiring. What person would pass up 26 million dollars for absolutely no reason?

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He’s not going to “retire” as in pass up the money but I see no reason why we can’t come to some kind of agreement to pay him off in some other capacity that doesn’t restrict the team from contending the last 4 years of his deal. Something like Pronger or Clarkson

The Samueli’s are going to have to be willing to not let that impact the budget though

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
He’s not going to “retire” as in pass up the money but I see no reason why we can’t come to some kind of agreement to pay him off in some other capacity that doesn’t restrict the team from contending the last 4 years of his deal. Something like Pronger or Clarkson

The Samueli’s are going to have to be willing to not let that impact the budget though
Isn’t that what insurance would be for ?

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The minutes distribution is more a problem with the forwards
I agree with this. I really like our d and wouldnt mind loading up some minutes for our top 4 d and go cheap with our 3rd pairing and then use that savings towards more forwards and spreading the minutes out more with our 4th pairing. That will allow us to also put more of our younger guys on those lines and still get them meaningful minutes and with more talented linemates.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
He's not going to retire. The article mentions that if things don't get better Kes "may not be able to keep playing". Not being able to play does not equal retiring. What person would pass up 26 million dollars for absolutely no reason?
Not sure if he ends on ltir and what that means for how he gets paid, I just know kes said that he wont risk further hurting his hip and develop a lifelong hip issue to make a few more million.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think the word retire is being used a little loosely. If Kesler cannot play he will "retire" just like Pronger did when his eye injury ended his career. He'll collect his money no matter what. Whether or not he goes on LTIR vs just plain IR is strictly a business decision made by the team. I would guess that due to the size of his contract, there is a good chance it is insured. Although, like with any insurance, there will be a deductible. It will still cost the team something.

I suppose there could be a pissing contest if he is "healthy" enough to come back and be a 4C, but doesn't want to. But I think we should wait until we get to that bridge before worrying about it.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I think it's more relevant to the trade rumors thread but since it was mentioned here, figured I'd put it here.

Johnson saying Holzer cleared waivers. Curious to see if we'll put him on unconditional waivers to buy him out. Would be kind of pointless IMO.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I'd imagine they would keep Holzer around. He's fine as a #7 or as a veteran guy for the kids in San Diego.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Looks like every one of our RFAs was qualified today. The only one I really wondered about was kerdiles, but he will be super cheap anyway.

Scott Sabourin is now UFA via no QO.

I think it's more relevant to the trade rumors thread but since it was mentioned here, figured I'd put it here.

Johnson saying Holzer cleared waivers. Curious to see if we'll put him on unconditional waivers to buy him out. Would be kind of pointless IMO.

The only way this makes sense IMO is if they're looking to get rid of Holzer. Holzer is on a 1-way contract, so the waiving offers no financial relief whatsoever.

A Holzer buyout wouldn't do much financially, just seems pointless to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad