Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
Summary:

Murray said come September, he’ll be looking at the leadership group.

Eric Stephens speculates that the Ducks won’t move Getzlaf, Perry, or Kesler. No one wants the last two.

Murray said he wants to “make some change.” But it has been harder than he thought.

GMs thought the cap would increase to more than $80M.

Lots of talk between GMs. “Pretty good free agents” out there that teams are waiting on.

Kesler said that if he feels as bad as he did last season, that he doesn’t know if he can keep playing. Last season was really hard on Kesler.

Kesler said he's getting better. “I feel like an athlete again.” Murray doesn’t know what that means until he puts skates on.

Expected to have good news on an extension next week. Wouldn’t say who.

Extending Gibson is a high priority. Murray wants to resign Silfverberg and Henrique. Wants to sign them in the next couple of months or early into season. Hopeful he can fit them all under the cap.

Murray wants to make changes, but doesn’t feel any pressure.

“Things have to change. On and off the ice.”
"I want to make changes, but I also want to re-sign most of my players"

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Yeah, the headline makes it sound as if he wants an aggressive offseason. But the article itself tells the story of a GM who is doesn't see himself having a lot of room to maneuver and is mostly counting on health and better effort from the same players.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
He has no idea what to do except to whine. The roster is old and slow and his buddy the coach is ancient. No one wants Perry and Kesler is damaged good. His hands are tied by his own doing and the only card he can play is to cry about the roster he put together.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What would a miracle be for Bob ?
That they find a way to dump Perry, sign Tavares & Kesler + Eaves retires ?

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I feel like in general people are way too down on this team's chances and itching to rebuild. Yes, the playoff sweep sucked. But it's really not a bad hockey team and it's not in a bad position. We've got a true no. 1 center, a couple of decent supplemental forwards, a strong defense group and an elite goalie. There's plenty there to hope on and take your best shot for next season, even if most of what you are hoping for is improved performance and health from guys already in place.

Reactions: Trojans86

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I feel like in general people are way too down on this team's chances and itching to rebuild. Yes, the playoff sweep sucked. But it's really not a bad hockey team and it's not in a bad position. We've got a true no. 1 center, a couple of decent supplemental forwards, a strong defense group and an elite goalie. There's plenty there to hope on and take your best shot for next season, even if most of what you are hoping for is improved performance and health from guys already in place.

People don't want to do a full rebuild. A lot of us want a quick re-tool. With Kes supposedly out next season and possible done in the NHL completely, we have a pretty meh center core that isn't strong enough for a real cup run. Getz is fantastic, but let's be realistic about him you guys... Rakell and Kase are great wingers, but they aren't elite enough to carry the offense needed. Perry is slowly regressing, hopefully he continues to be a 45-50 point guy, but who really knows. I won't call this defensive group strong until RC is gone. When your coaching strategy relies on getting out-shot, it doesn't matter how good your individual players are. Also, I'm not comfortable calling Gibson elite just yet.

On paper, we just don't match up to the some of the stronger teams in our Conference. Obviously, it's hockey and anything can happen, but I just don't see this group doing much unless we see some actual changes (which it sounds like we aren't getting).

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
what would you want from Ottawa for Corey Perry?

some salary would have to go back your way but we have a lot of shitty contracts too so thats not a problem: Gaborik Anderson Ryan Burrows..ect

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
This may have been brought up in the past, but I wonder if Henry's too cheap or if Bob's ego is too big, such that Bob doesn't seem to have a solid assistant GM to help with some real responsibilities of running the team. This crap with being caught flat footed on things he should be on top of is getting real old real fast.
Isn't that McNab? I know he was 'promoted' from assistant GM years ago - but his current role sounds exactly the same as an assistant GM just with a different fancy title.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Isn't that McNab? I know he was 'promoted' from assistant GM years ago - but his current role sounds exactly the same as an assistant GM just with a different fancy title.

I guess that depends on how one might view his current job. But in a lot of companies, when someone gets promoted to new responsibilities, a replacement is hired to do the old job.

It just seems like Bob has these WTF moments (that he's admitted to) which certainly could be from trying to do too much and not delegating enough.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

some salary would have to go back your way but we have a lot of ****ty contracts too so thats not a problem: Gaborik Anderson Ryan Burrows..ect

Definitely not for Ryan or Gaborik. Perry is still a good top6 winger, just shouldn’t be making over 5 million. Burrows would be fine. We have no use for Anderson unless we can flip him to a different team.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
This may have been brought up in the past, but I wonder if Henry's too cheap or if Bob's ego is too big, such that Bob doesn't seem to have a solid assistant GM to help with some real responsibilities of running the team. This crap with being caught flat footed on things he should be on top of is getting real old real fast.

When's he been caught flat footed?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
When's he been caught flat footed?
Off the top of my head...

Didn't expect UFAs to sign so early on July 1
Forgot to do paperwork to make Gibson Calder Cup eligible a couple of years ago
Makes comments about shaking up the team then says he didn't know how hard it would be to trade declining players on big contracts

A lot of teams have an assistant who is involved beyond being a gofer. Why haven't the Ducks employed one?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

found our new bieksa!

That one seems pretty unlikely. Johnson is probably headed wherever the money's best, as he should, and I have a feeling Montours deal will be more than expected. I'll bet someone is willing to pony up a lot for him and not sure it can be us with the other four possibly costing nearly $20 million. Unless the market for him this year is that bad, but I really doubt that.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Off the top of my head...

Didn't expect UFAs to sign so early on July 1
Forgot to do paperwork to make Gibson Calder Cup eligible a couple of years ago
Makes comments about shaking up the team then says he didn't know how hard it would be to trade declining players on big contracts

A lot of teams have an assistant who is involved beyond being a gofer. Why haven't the Ducks employed one?

Of the three, you basically just have the Gibson one, which he admitted was an oversight but really it was dumber that the team would've considered sending him there in the first place IMO. The last one doesn't fit at all and isn't what he said. The first one is the most hilarious, as it's an 8 year old quote that's turned into a meme but apparently you're being very serious. In the end, neither of those two would be remotely changed with another guy in the front office, and probably not the Gibson one, either.

I also think you're essentially describing Dave McNab who's his right hand man but also happens to have a better title than AGM.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
That one seems pretty unlikely. Johnson is probably headed wherever the money's best, as he should, and I have a feeling Montours deal will be more than expected. I'll bet someone is willing to pony up a lot for him and not sure it can be us with the other four possibly costing nearly $20 million. Unless the market for him this year is that bad, but I really doubt that.
Yep. Offensively Johnson's production is like that of Bieska.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA

some salary would have to go back your way but we have a lot of ****ty contracts too so thats not a problem: Gaborik Anderson Ryan Burrows..ect
Rather just keep the player who can still be productive. Plus he has NMC and I doubt he will waive for Ottawa.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

If Ottawa still had Phaneuf i'd considering swapping him for Perry as he'd become the new Bieksa for the Ducks, mostly would do that trade cause actress Elisha Cuthbert is Phaneuf's wife & Elisha would look good in a Ducks jersey :)

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Is anyone else’s hf completely ****ed? Keep getting notifications for **** I already knew about.
As well as no notifications on threads that have been active going back hours. Of course HF now has a twitter account and the options to make fantasy bets is now expanded. So you can see, the upgrade focused on the important stuff.

Reactions: Duck Off

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

found our new bieksa!

My HF still appears to be screwed up, so just now seeing this. I don't understand why we appear to be interested in defenseman like JJ and Risto, not when you see our current top 4 and how much is tied up there already. I really, really hope there's nothing to Montour being on TSN's trade list. That would be incredibly stupid on Murray's part.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Last edited:

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Summary:

Murray said come September, he’ll be looking at the leadership group.

Eric Stephens speculates that the Ducks won’t move Getzlaf, Perry, or Kesler. No one wants the last two.

Murray said he wants to “make some change.” But it has been harder than he thought.

GMs thought the cap would increase to more than $80M.

Lots of talk between GMs. “Pretty good free agents” out there that teams are waiting on.

Kesler said that if he feels as bad as he did last season, that he doesn’t know if he can keep playing. Last season was really hard on Kesler.

Kesler said he's getting better. “I feel like an athlete again.” Murray doesn’t know what that means until he puts skates on.

Expected to have good news on an extension next week. Wouldn’t say who.

Extending Gibson is a high priority. Murray wants to resign Silfverberg and Henrique. Wants to sign them in the next couple of months or early into season. Hopeful he can fit them all under the cap.

Murray wants to make changes, but doesn’t feel any pressure.

“Things have to change. On and off the ice.”

Thanks for this. Was looking for it everywhere. Gotta think they consider Cogliano taking the A off of Perry. Giving Perry less responsibility might help him take a bit of pressure off of himself, and could be a motivator.

The changes probably are probably more looking at finding a suitable 4th line that can skate. Bob tried to do this at the deadline, but the pieces werent there. You really need some quality skaters on the 4th line, finding a spot for Ritchie on this roster is becoming tougher by the day.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Thanks for this. Was looking for it everywhere. Gotta think they consider Cogliano taking the A off of Perry. Giving Perry less responsibility might help him take a bit of pressure off of himself, and could be a motivator.

The changes probably are probably more looking at finding a suitable 4th line that can skate. Bob tried to do this at the deadline, but the pieces werent there. You really need some quality skaters on the 4th line, finding a spot for Ritchie on this roster is becoming tougher by the day.

Probably Fowler, maybe both if Kesler's out or they go with a big change but I'd probably bet on just Fowler taking it from Perry.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Can't wait to see which 4th line plug Murray signs to salvage our team's leadership issue, which is clearly our main problem and not a lack of speed and high end skill.

Reactions: AngelDuck

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

Holzer on waivers. Strange because cap doesn’t count during the off-season?

The optimist in me is hoping that it's to sweeten a deal and that Holzer is the addition to some trade. Having him already in the AHL would make it easier for a team to take him on to their roster, wouldn't it?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Holzer on waivers. Strange because cap doesn’t count during the off-season?

my guess is that he asked to see if we'd waive him to see if someone wanted him on their NHL team. I'm guessing he had a "heart to heart" with Murray at some point asking if he was in their plans for the NHL team.

Otherwise you're right, it's strange because that cap hit can be buried in the minors and he adds some defensive depth.

Reactions: gilfaizon
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Can't wait to see which 4th line plug Murray signs to salvage our team's leadership issue, which is clearly our main problem and not a lack of speed and high end skill.
Don't think there's any serious argument to be made that the team lacks talent. Speed is an issue that the right system could alleviate. Whether Carlyle is the guy to come up with the right system, I don't know, but I'm comfortable saying almost no one in the team's leadership group was listening to him regardless. Meaning, there's a good chance we'll never know. Hence, problem with the leadership group, which I wholeheartedly agree with.

There's also a coach problem, who couldn't get guys on board, which in my mind is kinda the bare minimum skill you need as a coach. Ideally we'd shake up the leadership group and change the coach.

Reactions: Exit Dose

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
my guess is that he asked to see if we'd waive him to see if someone wanted him on their NHL team. I'm guessing he had a "heart to heart" with Murray at some point asking if he was in their plans for the NHL team.

Otherwise you're right, it's strange because that cap hit can be buried in the minors and he adds some defensive depth.
I think this is possible. That or BM wants to add another Top 6 Veteran but allow 2 rookies to fill out the top 7 like Pettersson, Larsson and Welinski. Most likely Welinski as he will require waivers I think. The D would look like this:
Lindy-Manson
Fowler-Monty/Vet
Pettersson-Monty/vet
Welinski as the #7.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

That's what I thought too. Hes caught up in a numbers game and maybe this way someone else will give him a shot. If not, maybe we see a mutual buyout and he heads back to Germany. Or maybe a normal buyout, I dunno, not a lot of reason to do that one.

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
Oh BM and his empty threats, makes the same threats year after year. There will be changes with the roster, and very little happens. Seems to happen every year. He's stuck with the roster he built.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad