Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Well... I think, for my sanity's sake, I will err on the side of hope! I'm still hoping we see Terry and one of our young centers in our early line up this year. Many of BM's comments seem to be pointing to it. Like him discussing trying Silf on the left side. Why would that be necessary, if not to make room for Terry? I'm hoping talk like that wasn't just lip service. But, we have been let down before, I guess.

If you need me, I'll be in the back drinking Drano to dull the pain of all the optimism on these boards. Cheers!

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Well... I think, for my sanity's sake, I will err on the side of hope! I'm still hoping we see Terry and one of our young centers in our early line up this year. Many of BM's comments seem to be pointing to it. Like him discussing trying Silf on the left side. Why would that be necessary, if not to make room for Terry? I'm hoping talk like that wasn't just lip service. But, we have been let down before, I guess.

If you need me, I'll be in the back drinking Drano to dull the pain of all the optimism on these boards. Cheers!
Likely to make room for Eaves, not a rookie. If you’re penciling him on the top line (or any line really), your top 3 RW’s are him, Perry, and Kase. So it makes sense that Silf is a candidate to move to the left.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
I completely forgot they signed Anton Rodin. Maybe that's your 4 RW or 13th forward, because he said he wouldn't play in the AHL.

Also I remember in Murray's post season analysis he said something about modeling the fourth line after San Jose's (Sorensen, Karlsson, Fehr). I think what he meant was older guys who had experience playing in other leagues like the SHL. That would point to Rodin as far as SHL experience, but any of Gibbons, Kossila, and Rowney would fit also.

He also pretty explicitly said the fourth line was "no place for a rookie."

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

I'm with you in principle, just won't believe until I see it. If BM really wanted all the changes he says are going to happen, he would have fired RC and hired a forward thinking coach.

QuackinQuaker

Jul 16, 2018
I think we might see more rookies in our line up this year. I'm probably a fool for thinking it, but here's why I do.

1. BM made a point of saying we need a productive 4th line this year.
2. I don't think Gibbons and Rowney are exactly the players we need for a "productive" 4th line.
3. We haven't signed any 13th or 14th forwards yet.
4. Having a rookie in the press box as a spare forward is bad for their development.
5. Gibbons and Rowney are old enough that time in the press box will not affect their development.
6. BM said, "Steel, Terry and possibly Roy are very close".

I think Gibbons and Rowney were signed to be our spare forwards and also to be a hurdle for our rookies to clear to prove they can make it. I think Steel or Kossila will be in the line up. I also think Terry is nearly a lock. This is my assumption, but I think getting Terry to re-sign with us and not go UFA included some promises of playing time. If we weren't going to give him playing time he could have gone to a team that would have. BM mentioned trying Silf at LW. The 5 RWs I think he was talking about are Perry, Kase, Silf, Eaves and Terry. I think (hope) the line-ups will be something like this.

Rakell - Getzlaf - Terry
Silfverberg - Henrique - Kase
Cogliano - Kesler- Eaves
Ritchie - Steel - Perry

Gibbons / Rowney

Now the lines could very well change around. It's very likely that they keep Silf with Kesler. I know they talked about trying Eaves on Getz's wing again. But I think the 12 starting forwards to start the year could look like this. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Thoughts?

We can dream right? Love those lines but is very unlikely it happens. Steel would have to really impress and force the staff to play him 4th line (I imagine they would much prefer him in San Diego than on the 4th).. That said, that 4th line really doesn't look like a 4th and could play some good minutes while sheltering Steel with physical guys on his wings.

I'll put my money on your lines with Rowney in for Steel.

TacoMatt

Aug 13, 2018
Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry

Henrique - Kesler - Terry

Silfverberg - Steel - Kase

Cogliano - Gibbons - Eaves

This would be my ideal lineup of Steel is ready. I have no doubt in my mind that Terry will force his way on to this team. He’s put on 8+ pounds of muscle already. I think a lot of you don’t realize how special this kid is going to be. It wouldn’t shock me if he put up 50 points this season.

Steel, may or may not be ready, but if he is, I’d move henrique to wing figure out where to play him. Initially had him with steel and Kase but thought would be better to split up the two left handed shots.

This also assumes Kesler is healthy.

Thoughts?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Terry will be on team before steel I'm sure of this.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
Based on the last 2 seasons, it seems like there are certain pairs that showed strong chemistry and were kept together because of it. How many of these do you think we'll see together this year? Which are most likely to be broken up, and why?

Rakell - Getz - ____
____ - Henrique - Kase
____ - Kesler - Silf
Boll - ____ - Shaw (really this is a 1st line, don't get caught up on the order)

If Steel isn't quite ready for center, does anyone think there's a chance he sees any time on wing (left hand shot)?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry

This would be my ideal lineup of Steel is ready. I have no doubt in my mind that Terry will force his way on to this team. He’s put on 8+ pounds of muscle already. I think a lot of you don’t realize how special this kid is going to be. It wouldn’t shock me if he put up 50 points this season.

Steel, may or may not be ready, but if he is, I’d move henrique to wing figure out where to play him. Initially had him with steel and Kase but thought would be better to split up the two left handed shots.

Thoughts?
No way ritchie and rawney arent in line up

Oct 18, 2011
I really have to say I despise this idea of not playing young guys on the fourth line. If your trying to build a 4 line team, and have one thar can play regularly why would you not do it?

It's because BM knows Randy won't do it

Oct 18, 2011
Rakell - Getzlaf - Perry

Thoughts?
Eaves is going to play with Getzlaf unless he proves he can't

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Eaves is going to play with Getzlaf unless he proves he can't
You can say the same about Perry though, and Rakell isn’t going anywhere on that line. And nor should he.

I’d actually be surprised if they threw Eaves back on the top line right away. Barring a real strong camp. How I see it shaking out based on Murray’s comments:

Rakell-Getz-Perry
Cogs-Kes-Eaves
Silf-Henrique-Kase
Ritchie-Rowney-Gibbons/Roy

Steel will be ready but won’t get to play. Terry could use some time in SD

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
There was an article on the athletic a couple of weeks ago that quoted Carlyle saying that Eaves would be starting on the Getzlaf line. Whether or not he’s still productive will determine if he sticks there or not I guess.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
You can say the same about Perry though, and Rakell isn’t going anywhere on that line. And nor should he.

I’d actually be surprised if they threw Eaves back on the top line right away. Barring a real strong camp. How I see it shaking out based on Murray’s comments:

Rakell-Getz-Perry
Cogs-Kes-Eaves
Silf-Henrique-Kase
Ritchie-Rowney-Gibbons/Roy

Steel will be ready but won’t get to play. Terry could use some time in SD
I think thats close to what well see tbh.. idk that i like it tho

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
There was an article on the athletic a couple of weeks ago that quoted Carlyle saying that Eaves would be starting on the Getzlaf line. Whether or not he’s still productive will determine if he sticks there or not I guess.
Interesting, so I guess that means Perry is being moved down..I have a hard time figuring out where else he fits

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Interesting, so I guess that means Perry is being moved down..I have a hard time figuring out where else he fits
I was thinking the following depending on Kesler and Eaves are healthy.
Rakell-Getzlaf-Eaves
Cogs-Kesler-Silf*
Kase-Rico-Perry
Ritchie-Blandisi-Rowney
*Note: if Kase can't play the left swap Silf and Kase.
If Kesler can't play:
Rakell-Getzlaf-Eaves
Silf-Rico-Kase
Cogs-Steel-Perry*
Ritchie-Blandisi-Rowney
*Note: if Perry becomes to much for Steel to have to cover for defensively you can swap Kase and Perry.
But each line has a defensive forward and a "scoring" forward . Terry becomes Eaves injury call up or forces a Silf trade in camp.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I just don’t see him being immediately put in the bottom 6 from the start. He’s not the same player as he once was, but he still put up respectable numbers with Getz. Seems like a big “screw you” to put him down and just give Eaves his spot after missing a whole season.

Reactions: AngelDuck

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Anyone think they may try Rakell-Rico-Perry and something like Silf-Getz-Kase? When Henrique first got here, that line was good
I don't see the point. Rakell and Getz are known to be fantastic together, no point in breaking that up. And for whatever reason Silf and Getz have never worked well together.

Just keep Rakell-Getz-Perry, and Rico-Kase together in my opinion. Either keep Ritchie with Rico and Kase or try Silf on their LW and see how that goes.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don't see the point. Rakell and Getz are known to be fantastic together, no point in breaking that up. And for whatever reason Silf and Getz have never worked well together.

Just keep Rakell-Getz-Perry, and Rico-Kase together in my opinion. Either keep Ritchie with Rico and Kase or try Silf on their LW and see how that goes.
Because they want depth.

Perry holds that rakell/getz line back a ton... if were going to go with top heavy line up... screw it and put
Rakell - Getz - Kase, id love to see us build depth and honestly if Ritchie comes to camp and lives up to a little of his potential .. maybe we can see something like

Ritchie Getz Eaves/Perry
Rakell Henrique Kase
Cogs Kesler Silf
Gibbons Rawney Eaves/Perry

but obviously that is asking a lot out of Ritchie... I don't mind a line of Silf Getz Eaves/Perry either.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Because they want depth.

Perry holds that rakell/getz line back a ton... if were going to go with top heavy line up... screw it and put
Rakell - Getz - Kase, id love to see us build depth and honestly if Ritchie comes to camp and lives up to a little of his potential .. maybe we can see something like

Ritchie Getz Eaves/Perry
Rakell Henrique Kase
Cogs Kesler Silf
Gibbons Rawney Eaves/Perry

but obviously that is asking a lot out of Ritchie... I don't mind a line of Silf Getz Eaves/Perry either.
Holds them back? Rakell just had a 34g/ 69 point season,and Getz had a 61 point season in 56 game with Perry. Don't see how Perry is holding either of them back a ton. And just putting players together to create depth doesn't mean it's going to work. Like with Getz and Silf, the team has tried that and it's hasn't worked. I'm not even suggesting to go top heavy like you suggested with Rakell-Getz-Kase since you're forcing Kase to play against teams top competition which he hasn't done before.

What's the issue with just running with what he did last season?

Rakell-Getz-Perry (60-70 point for Rakell, 60-80 points for Getz, 40-50 points for Perry)

Ritchie-Rico-Kase (it's was successful last season and if Ritchie improves at all, it should be better next season).

Cogs-Kes-Silf (proven line that works, though it depends on Kes at this point)

Gibbons-Rowney-Eaves (Eaves is 34 years old and just missed practically a full season while also dealing with another injury). He can be valuable on that 4th line by providing depth scoring there.

We for the most part agree with the lineup besides a few things. At least splitting up Rakell and Kase has us having some offensive creativity on two lines instead of just one.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Holds them back? Rakell just had a 34g/ 69 point season,and Getz had a 61 point season in 56 game with Perry. Don't see how Perry is holding either of them back a ton. And just putting players together to create depth doesn't mean it's going to work. Like with Getz and Silf, the team has tried that and it's hasn't worked. I'm not even suggesting to go top heavy like you suggested with Rakell-Getz-Kase since you're forcing Kase to play against teams top competition which he hasn't done before.

What's the issue with just running with what he did last season?

Rakell-Getz-Perry (60-70 point for Rakell, 60-80 points for Getz, 40-50 points for Perry)

Ritchie-Rico-Kase (it's was successful last season and if Ritchie improves at all, it should be better next season).

Cogs-Kes-Silf (proven line that works, though it depends on Kes at this point)

Gibbons-Rowney-Eaves (Eaves is 34 years old and just missed practically a full season while also dealing with another injury). He can be valuable on that 4th line by providing depth scoring there.

We for the most part agree with the lineup besides a few things. At least splitting up Rakell and Kase has us having some offensive creativity on two lines instead of just one.
Im saying perry doesn't do much as far as getting puck back, playing defense... really anything other then occasionally scoring a point here or there... putting a guy like Kase with Rakell and Getzlaf could be a huge injection into them... he battles for the puck.. he holds on to the puck and makes plays.. plays in all 3 zones.

There is a lot more to the game of hockey than scoring points, and while perry finds ways to stay on the score sheet I mean watching last season I was shocked that perry ended up with that many points because he looked borderline useless majority of games. ... hes not doing a whole lot to improve Getzlaf/Rakells game. The reason I would consider splitting Getzlaf and rakell up... is because getzlaf has shown he can basically get his points no matter who he is playing with.... so throwing rakell on a 2nd line with kase and Henrique ideally helps Henrique/kase increase offensive production, and maybe having Ritchie and eaves/perry with getzlaf helps increase those 2 players out put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad