2018-19 Roster Talk: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Couts can play like last year he has a slight edge on Backstrom and a bigger edge on Kuzy, who's a fine scorer but more of a one way player.
The real difference between the teams is Holtby v our goalies.
And we'll be better in 2018-19, will Washington?

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think anyone can reasonably say our forwards AS A GROUP aren't on par or better than Washington's now that we've added JVR. (We have more depth and arguably on par top end talent.)

But defense and goaltending?

I think their defense is more mature, not necessarily better going forward.

Where Washington edges us is goaltending. Hands down. Not even f***ing close.

Reactions: Zod and Jtown

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
In what world? Die hard flyers fan since birth and since I could actually coherently understand hockey 1995 to now ? How in the **** are we better than Washington?

It probably won’t be close. Washington was 7 points better last year, but only 5 goals better in goal differential.

Washington is an old team, the Flyers are a young team. If anything, the gap will widen. If, for instance, Morgan Frost replaces Filppula and NAK replaces Matt Read, the Flyers will be a solid ~2 years younger on average than the Caps.

Young teams improve, old teams decline.

Flyers finish ahead of the Caps by 8 points minimum.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It probably won’t be close. Washington was 7 points better last year, but only 5 goals better in goal differential.

Washington is an old team, the Flyers are a young team. If anything, the gap will widen. If, for instance, Morgan Frost replaces Filppula and NAK replaces Matt Read, the Flyers will be a solid ~2 years younger on average than the Caps.

giphy.gif

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

Is this before or after carter hart wins the carter hart award, Which is an award named after Dominik Hasek and is presented to the best goalie of all time.

Reactions: BernieParent

MorgantiDrinksBlood

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan

I do agree Frost makes us worlds better but the caps just hoisted the cup and retained everyone. We aren’t anywhere near a cup, let’s be honest. 1-2 years away likely.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It's not entirely out of reason that the Capitals come into 2018-19 with a Cup hangover, regular-season Holtby is as bad as regular-season Holtby last season, and the team as a whole underperforms; however, the Capitals have finished the past 3 seasons with an average of 20 more points (7, 30, 24) than the Flyers. Another 15-point swing is pretty unlikely.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
It's not entirely out of reason that the Capitals come into 2018-19 with a Cup hangover, regular-season Holtby is as bad as regular-season Holtby last season, and the team as a whole underperforms; however, the Capitals have finished the past 3 seasons with an average of 20 more points (7, 30, 24) than the Flyers. Another 15-point swing is pretty unlikely.
12 oz curls are still curls. Hopefully the alcohol has exited their bloodstream by the time the puck drops for game 1. I know Mike Richards was a well liked fella in DC but no way could his influence be that powerful.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I think the top 6 of the east, including the Flyers are more bunched than they are far apart. Any of them could emerge from the conference, and the conference is much stronger than the West. While i still put us at the backend of that top 6, I really believe we're right in the thick of it.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I think Washington was one of the weaker teams to win a Cup (I was hoping that was our 1st round matchup), but for the Flyers to be that much better, you have to be counting on a Giroux-Couturier repeat season and a coach to show something he hasn't shown in 3 years on the job.

Mostly agree, though I don't think the Flyers will have any issues with scoring next season. Giroux-Couturier could stand to be less productive if the other forwards pick up the slack, which doesn't seem unreasonable to assume. I think van Riemsdyk, Patrick, and Lindblom can be be significant contributors next season. More worried about the defense after Gostisbehere and Provorov.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Mostly agree, though I don't think the Flyers will have any issues with scoring next season. Giroux-Couturier could stand to be less productive if the other forwards pick up the slack, which doesn't seem unreasonable to assume. I think van Riemsdyk, Patrick, and Lindblom can be be significant contributors next season. More worried about the defense after Gostisbehere and Provorov.

Until we get Hakstok’d again.
giphy.gif

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Should be better talent wise, but I don't have any confidence the coach will make the necessary adjustments to get the most out of these guys. That's why I mentioned him.

Bottom half of the league in 5v5 GF/60 and xGF/60 every season he has been the coach. It ain't all because of talent. Even Berube had 1 such season in the top half and he only got two cracks with less talent.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers only had Giroux, Couts, Voracek and TK on offense last year, and Ghost and Provorov on the defense.
Simmonds had his second subpar season, Patrick didn't show up until February, and that's pretty much it (Raffl, Weal, Laughton, Filppula . . . .)
They still had 249 goals (league average 244)

Berube
2014-15: Voracek, Giroux, Simmonds, Schenn, Couts, and Read and Raffl younger and healthier, Streit, MDZ - 212 goals (league average 224)
2013-14: Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Hartnell, Schenn, Read, Couts, Vinnie, Streit, Kimmo - 233 goals (league average 225)
Berube had a lot more talent his first year, and a deeper group his second year

2011-12 was the last time the Flyers could legitimately field 3 lines and a respectable 4th line.
Hopefully we can see that this season

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Where is this 3 year offer to Karlsson coming from? If so that’s s joke and Tampa doesn’t deserve him.

Come to philly where we will love you.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
Where is this 3 year offer to Karlsson coming from? If so that’s s joke and Tampa doesn’t deserve him.

EK to Philly was and will never happen, just the way she goes

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Why haven't the Flyers signed Shore yet?

I noticed that Shawn Matthias is still unsigned, too. Is he cooked?

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017

Stopped dreaming about Karlsson.. how about improving our PK in front of two sorry ass goaltenders. Would be nice to improve that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad