2018-19 Roster Talk: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
My boss (a huge Sixers fan) when the Phils hit 1st place: "How's it feel now that the Flyers are the fourth best team in Philadelphia?"

Me: "I'm not sure it's happened in my lifetime, but I'll keep you up to date. BUT while we're on the subject, I've always wanted to know what it's like to be an Edmonton Oil--I mean 76ers fan."

Jokes aside, the Flyers are definitely in the tougher conference. And Toronto got better. We know at the end of the 17-18 season we were effectively behind Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa, and Boston. Columbus and New Jersey didn't add someone like vanRiemsdyk to pull away from us.

Barring any major injuries to anyone, are we still #6 in the East after PIT, WAS, TBL, BOS, and TOR with our roster as it is now?

Reactions: Zod and Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I just don’t agree with that line of thinking. You’re completely ignoring one way to improve the team that way.

They have drafted very well. Getting Panarin at 10 million still brings your three top spenders in under 30 million which is great with the contracts we will be seeing/seen start to be given out.

That’s the glory of signing the best free agent, you don’t give assets. People want them to just keep banking the cap room? Adding one more top 9 forward gives us three legit lines in the future.

Expansion draft is also a concern. You’re going to lose someone. I would rather it be a forward up front then a defender.
I was just pointing out that with G, Jake, TK and JVR, Pararin is not a "need". Of course he would help our forward depth as I showed earlier when I did our lineup. And I am not 100% against UFA's. Just am cautious against ones for 7 years at 10 million or more. But if both are available, I go after Karlsson way before Panarin.

But today, if I am spending any money, it's to upgrade other spots. We are still a team that is dressing 2...maybe 3 of Hagg, AMac and Gudas every night all while having below average goaltending.

And fwiw, I too want to lose a F in expansion as I think we have the depth to withstand losing a F whereas we don't for a top 4 Dman.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I don't know why they would believe that he can't be a quality starter. He is only 23 and has some good stats.

2016-2017, 21 games: 0.923sv%, 2.35gaa
2017-2018, 26 games: 0.925sv% 2.44gaa

The might give Rinne another shot, but I don't know why they can't see Saros as a long term option.

Not many goalies in today's game have had a lot of longterm success at that height.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Not many goalies in today's game have had a lot of longterm success at that height.

Not many, but some have, Thomas and Nabokov for example. And with pads getting smaller these days being a technical goalie is more important that abusing athleticism and large pads.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Not many, but some have, Thomas and Nabokov for example. And with pads getting smaller these days being a technical goalie is more important that abusing athleticism and large pads.

tim thomas is imo just an outlier. He was smart though, if you're 5'11 you have to come out of your crease and he did it better than any other goalie i have seen. Bruins defended his weakside so well too.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Panarin is great. If he hits the open market you should look into signing him. High end skill like that just isn't available very often. Doesn't matter what Giroux or Voracek signed for years ago. 10 million is a lot for a winger, but the cap keeps going up and JVR just signed for 7 AAV so yeah he's probably worth about that. I think Panarin is likely to age well.

The rumor going around was that he wanted to be near a "body of water". Not sure if Sea Isle is close enough for his liking.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Panarin is great. If he hits the open market you should look into signing him. High end skill like that just isn't available very often. Doesn't matter what Giroux or Voracek signed for years ago. 10 million is a lot for a winger, but the cap keeps going up and JVR just signed for 7 AAV so yeah he's probably worth about that. I think Panarin is likely to age well.

The rumor going around was that he wanted to be near a "body of water". Not sure if Sea Isle is close enough for his liking.

i've heard good things about the schuylkill

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
My boss (a huge Sixers fan) when the Phils hit 1st place: "How's it feel now that the Flyers are the fourth best team in Philadelphia?"

Me: "I'm not sure it's happened in my lifetime, but I'll keep you up to date. BUT while we're on the subject, I've always wanted to know what it's like to be an Edmonton Oil--I mean 76ers fan."

Jokes aside, the Flyers are definitely in the tougher conference. And Toronto got better. We know at the end of the 17-18 season we were effectively behind Pittsburgh, Washington, Tampa, and Boston. Columbus and New Jersey didn't add someone like vanRiemsdyk to pull away from us.

Barring any major injuries to anyone, are we still #6 in the East after PIT, WAS, TBL, BOS, and TOR with our roster as it is now?
I believe that is realistic. But there was also very little separating us from the rest. Looking at the standing, it was obvious a 9 team race for the playoffs with Florida on the outside at 96 points. Then it dropped to 83 to Carolina.

The focus needs to be getting to 100 points and not having these huge swings in losing streaks/winning streaks. I expect our top guys to drop in points, but then have guys like Patrick and Lindblom replace them.

I believe this year will be the 1st year where Hextall is actually a buyer at the deadline. Mrazek was a necessity move having 3 goalies hurt at the same time long term. But this year, I think he does add to the team later on in the year to secure the playoffs and a hopefully better playoff result.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
tim thomas is imo just an outlier. He was smart though, if you're 5'11 you have to come out of your crease and he did it better than any other goalie i have seen. Bruins defended his weakside so well too.

And Saros may not end up being a great long term option, but until you see otherwise you can assume he will be. If I were Nashville I'd probably still look to keep Rinne for another 1-2 years if possible and continue with Saros as the backup, and if he looks like he can handle it go for it. They have the best defense in the NHL, he shouldn't get thrown to the wolves like he would here.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
And Saros may not end up being a great long term option, but until you see otherwise you can assume he will be. If I were Nashville I'd probably still look to keep Rinne for another 1-2 years if possible and continue with Saros as the backup, and if he looks like he can handle it go for it. They have the best defense in the NHL, he shouldn't get thrown to the wolves like he would here.

i think goalie is the missing piece to us being considered to be contenders. Teams have been aggressive lately with young goaltenders with much success. I look at it like this. if hart gets 50 games in the Ahl with a save percentage over 920 they will do whatever they can to put Carter hart in position to be the flyers goalie the next year at some point.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Hart may be the real deal but then again he's not yet twenty years old. It's not his fault but he hasn't played against men yet but that is where it is. Neither Bernie Parent or Pelle Lindbergh were ready for the NHL until they were twenty-two and these were the best netminders that the Flyers have ever had. Hart is going to need some time in the AHL before he's ready to play here in town.
Elliott needed two surgeries in the last year. Neuvirth is an injury waiting to happen. I have no confidence that either of these guys make it through next season. So who ends up tending goal when these guys break down? Who is the guy in the next year? IMO, Sandstrom has as much skill as either Stolarz or Lyon, maybe more. If he shows that over the summer and in camp, it might be worth it for the Flyers to keep him here and not return him to Sweden.

How do you handle the four AHL level goalies we would have then? Who would you send to the ECHL? Are you worried about limiting starts for your two best goalie prospects? Are you worried about giving the keys to the AHL net to as 19 and 21 year old?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Ok ok. Potential of trading for Trouba? My last name I’ll drop.

Prongo on trade rumours:

18fe88c0f171511a02fe9a812af715ab.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers are like the Phillies, enjoy the ride as the kids mature.
We have too many unknowns to rank us right now, Patrick, Lindblom, Frost, Sanheim, Myers, NAK, Vorobyev.
If Frost wins a job and Patrick and Lindblom step up, our top 9 is as good as any team in the NHL.
If Sanheim takes a step up and Myers shows he's NHL ready our defense is solid, if Gudas gets his mojo back, more than solid.
And maybe Neuvirth will visit Lourdes and light a candle or two. Or Lyon's AHL playoff performance wasn't a mirage.

Reactions: BernieParent

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
i've heard good things about the schuylkill
To get a guy like Panarin, you need a BOGO type deal. Schuylkill River, PLUS the Delaware River! And there are various creeks (Cobbs, Wissahickon, Tacony) nearby as well, and a few man-made lakes in the Poconos, about the same distance away as the Atlantic Ocean. Philly has water for days (and excellent drinking water too.)

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
To get a guy like Panarin, you need a BOGO type deal. Schuylkill River, PLUS the Delaware River! And there are various creeks (Cobbs, Wissahickon, Tacony) nearby as well, and a few man-made lakes in the Poconos, about the same distance away as the Atlantic Ocean. Philly has water for days (and excellent drinking water too.)
i believe this is the same pitch kevin costner used with film studios.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
if you ranked the centers it woulc go like this.

Kuzy
backstrom
coots
patrick

That is why they are so good. they have 2 top 10 centers.

You would have Couturier 3rd...

The Capitals are so good because they have a good group of forwards, 3 good top pairing D, and good goaltending.

Anyway, I said forwards:

KuznetsovGiroux
OvechkinCouturier
BackstromVoracek
BurakovskyPatrick
VranaKonecny
Ellervan Riemsdyk
OshieLindblom
ConnollyLaughton
WilsonRaffl
StephensonSimmonds
DowdWeal
Smith-PellyAube-Kubel
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You would have Couturier 3rd...

Anyway, I said forwards:

KuznetsovGiroux
OvechkinCouturier
BackstromVoracek
BurakovskyPatrick
VranaKonecny
Ellervan Riemsdyk
OshieLindblom
ConnollyLaughton
WilsonRaffl
StephensonSimmonds
DowdWeal
Smith-PellyAube-Kubel
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

are you implying couturier is better than one of backstrom or kuzy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad