2018-19 Roster Talk: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm sure Hakstol is tied to Hagg because of their ND ties? Their Western Canadian ties? Their . . .
Hard to imagine why Hakstol would consider Hagg a "favorite."

In fact, that raises an interesting question, why wasn't Knight, a ND boy, promoted to the roster last year?

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
No, Sanheims minutes are determined by Hakstol. And unfortunately Hakstol doesn't determine them based on quality of play or effectiveness... it's exclusively favoritism and his obsession with grindy garbage.

He's proven that quality of play has nothing to do with where you play in the lineup. Hagg, Mac, Manning, Filppula, Lehtera, etc all prove that.

Sanheim CLEARLY outplayed multiple trash defensemen last year, yet played less than them. That's just a fact.

wasnt it released that a injured Hagg played over a healthy Sanheim by Haktard

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Gudas had a bad season last year so I don't blame Hak for reducing his minutes but Sanheim shown a ton of potential and needed to be playing more. Hagg on the other hand could be a great shut down d-man in the future if he actually learned how to do an outlet pass and not to pinch as often when he shouldn't.

Reactions: renberg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm sure Hakstol is tied to Hagg because of their ND ties? Their Western Canadian ties? Their . . .
Hard to imagine why Hakstol would consider Hagg a "favorite."

In fact, that raises an interesting question, why wasn't Knight, a ND boy, promoted to the roster last year?
Because Hakstol is one of these hockey dinosaurs who is obsessed with hitting and grinding.

So he overvalued a defensemen who is horrible in all 3 zones.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Hagg was by far the worst of the three.

Not even debatable.

Not sure why you think you can list flaws of other players (and create most of them out of thin air) while not mentioning that Hagg has his own flaws, which are even worse. It makes no sense. Nobody is falling for this.
Gudas was not the same dman last year especially after his incredibly stupid suspension. I dont think he played materially better than Hagg. I think there was something behind the scenes with Sanheim because his talent level is obvious and although I do agree with dh that he played soft and was out of position plenty it wasn't severe enough for the benching and banishment. The "Hak doesn't like him for no reason" line of argument is really an unlikely case.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Gudas was not the same dman last year especially after his incredibly stupid suspension. I dont think he played materially better than Hagg. I think there was something behind the scenes with Sanheim because his talent level is obvious and although I do agree with dh that he played soft and was out of position plenty it wasn't severe enough for the benching and banishment. The "Hak doesn't like him for no reason" line of argument is really an unlikely case.
Gudas wasn't as good as before, but he was still easily better than Hagg. And most of his struggles were after being paired with Manning.

Sanheim just got the idiotic treatment young players get under Hakstol, unless they're big and strong. He doesn't like skill. He likes physicality. So TK, Ghost, and Sanheim get benched, while Hagg is bulletproof. Patrick and Provorov escape that fate because they're big boys.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Gudas had a bad season last year so I don't blame Hak for reducing his minutes but Sanheim shown a ton of potential and needed to be playing more. Hagg on the other hand could be a great shut down d-man in the future if he actually learned how to do an outlet pass and not to pinch as often when he shouldn't.
We would be very lucky for Hagg to develop into a "great" shut down dman. I think his talent level is more like a perfectly serviceable 6/7 dman.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The rational argument in favor of Sanheim has never been "Hakstol doesn't like him." It's that there is a bias toward a certain play and player style, especially as it relates to mistakes. Everyone has biases. His are just particularly suboptimal for the modern game in these cases.

It's the Kris Russell debate playing out over and over again in damn near every NHL city.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Listening to Hextall talk about Sanheim, he's still in the same "prove it" stage as Myers.
Which suggests that what ever unhappiness there is with Sanheim, it's a FO thing, not just a HC thing.

This doesn't mean Hextall is looking to dump him, rather, as Ron keeps saying, some players just need longer to mature, both on and off the ice.
If there are real issues, we'll read about them a few weeks after the trade.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Gudas wasn't as good as before, but he was still easily better than Hagg. And most of his struggles were after being paired with Manning.

Sanheim just got the idiotic treatment young players get under Hakstol, unless they're big and strong. He doesn't like skill. He likes physicality. So TK, Ghost, and Sanheim get benched, while Hagg is bulletproof. Patrick and Provorov escape that fate because they're big boys.
I just don't agree on Gudas last year but do think he could potentially return to form.

I think your Hak "doesnt like skill" explanation is really weak bordering on the type of silly explanation I would expect to see on the Coyotes board. Tk and ghost deserved to be benched.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The rational argument in favor of Sanheim has never been "Hakstol doesn't like him." It's that there is a bias toward a certain play and player style, especially as it relates to mistakes. Everyone has biases. His are just particularly suboptimal for the modern game in these cases.

The Flyers were 2nd in goals by defensemen, and had 54 defensemen in the top 62 in PP/60 5x5: Ghost 17th, Manning 31st, Provorov 35th, MacDonald 53rd, Gudas 62nd. Given the talent of Manning, MacDonald and Gudas, that's obviously due to an aggressive scheme.
But the flip side is if defensemen are going to be aggressive on offense, they also must be responsible.

Notice Manning is gone? Good enough for the Blackhawks to pay $2.25M but not for Hextall to even approach about an extension.
I think because as much as they liked his offense, they basically concluded he wasn't coachable, the brain farts were who he was, not resistance to coaching.

I don't think they're picking on Sanheim any more than they were picking on Ghost, rather, if you're going to be a major offensive force as a defenseman, you have to know how to do it responsibly, Ghost learned and had his best year, playing two way hockey.
If Sanheim learns, his minutes will go up, if he doesn't, he'll be shipped out of town in 2-3 years.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Manning got paid. He'll be comfortable now the rest of his life. Adios Boxcar!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The Flyers were 2nd in goals by defensemen, and had 54 defensemen in the top 62 in PP/60 5x5: Ghost 17th, Manning 31st, Provorov 35th, MacDonald 53rd, Gudas 62nd. Given the talent of Manning, MacDonald and Gudas, that's obviously due to an aggressive scheme.
But the flip side is if defensemen are going to be aggressive on offense, they also must be responsible.

Notice Manning is gone? Good enough for the Blackhawks to pay $2.25M but not for Hextall to even approach about an extension.
I think because as much as they liked his offense, they basically concluded he wasn't coachable, the brain farts were who he was, not resistance to coaching.

I don't think they're picking on Sanheim any more than they were picking on Ghost, rather, if you're going to be a major offensive force as a defenseman, you have to know how to do it responsibly, Ghost learned and had his best year, playing two way hockey.
If Sanheim learns, his minutes will go up, if he doesn't, he'll be shipped out of town in 2-3 years.

There's so much we're just never going to agree on, but I'll try to focus on the at least arguable stuff rather than arguing about issues where we'll never sway the other.

As far as Sanheim not being treated more harshly than Gostisbehere, rookie ice time does not agree with you. Now I will say that I think we could draw a pretty clear parallel if Gostisbehere did not score so many Points essentially right away. You'll say Points are results, I'll say it's treating the result instead of the cause, etc.

RE:Manning, TOI says hell no.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I just don't agree on Gudas last year but do think he could potentially return to form.

I think your Hak "doesnt like skill" explanation is really weak bordering on the type of silly explanation I would expect to see on the Coyotes board. Tk and ghost deserved to be benched.
No they didn’t.

Reactions: Rebels57

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It still boggles my mind that Hextall was going to send Ghost back down but Ghost absolutely refused to let him do so.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's so much we're just never going to agree on, but I'll try to focus on the at least arguable stuff rather than arguing about issues where we'll never sway the other.

As far as Sanheim not being treated more harshly than Gostisbehere, rookie ice time does not agree with you. Now I will say that I think we could draw a pretty clear parallel if Gostisbehere did not score so many Points essentially right away. You'll say Points are results, I'll say it's treating the result instead of the cause, etc.

RE:Manning, TOI says hell no.

Sanheim had the same issue as Lindblom, he struggled to finish, which is normal for a lot of rookies, the game often slows down their second season.
The difference is that Lindblom was a more polished all around player, so he was doing good things even when the puck didn't go in the net for him.

Ghost, before his injury, was greased lightning, the defensive equivalent of Gaudreau, Sanheim isn't nearly that skilled, his upside is when his body fills out and he can play big at both ends of the ice. Ghost was also 22, and even though he sat much of the year in the AHL, got to see the pro game close up.
I'm curious to see if Ghost can regain some of that burst this year, two years from his injury, combine that with his maturation as a player and he could take it up another notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad