2018-19 Roster Talk: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Explain what? That Hextall was going to send Ghost down after Streit came back? That's pretty well pubic knowledge.

tenor.gif

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Well this is a pretty reasonable thought process, right?

Ghost is our top prospect who had barely played for the Phantoms and was forced to be called up due to major injuries. Rushing prospects to the show isn't Hextall's way.

Can't say he's wrong for wanting to be careful with players, especially when those players will just return from injury.

Ghost had to basically play out of his mind to force Hextall's hand to stop him from being sent down. Hextall is/was at the point of over cooking his prospects.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, given that Streit was a top PP QB the year before, (3rd in the league at 6.23 pp/60), Ghost put up 4.78 pp/60 his rookie year on the power play.
Hextall didn't expect Ghost to be 8th in the league in 5x5 scoring as a rookie, but CF 50.17, CFrel -1.1, xGF 49.73, xGFrel -0.93, so he wasn't a finished product.

If Streit had been healthy, it wouldn't have hurt Ghost to stay in the AHL and work on his defensive game. Missing the previous year hurt his development.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
In the post DC presser with Hexy, he mentioned Hagg's injury. It probably affected his play during the second half of the season and in the POs. Hagg's development has been unique. When he was drafted, his offensive skills were highlighted and his defense was criticized. Since draft day he has worked on his defense and greatly improved it.
I don't believe that his offense just disappeared. He seemed to be unsure as to how to use it last season. He deferred shots to vets and played a pass first game. I don't underestimate the possibility that Hagg went out of his way to only do what the coaching staff told him to do. Hopefully in this upcoming season the staff will take off his training wheels and get him to do more than he has shown. The skills are there.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In the post DC presser with Hexy, he mentioned Hagg's injury. It probably affected his play during the second half of the season and in the POs. Hagg's development has been unique. When he was drafted, his offensive skills were highlighted and his defense was criticized. Since draft day he has worked on his defense and greatly improved it.
I don't believe that his offense just disappeared. He seemed to be unsure as to how to use it last season. He deferred shots to vets and played a pass first game. I don't underestimate the possibility that Hagg went out of his way to only do what the coaching staff told him to do. Hopefully in this upcoming season the staff will take off his training wheels and get him to do more than he has shown. The skills are there.

I'm skeptical that he can read the game well enough at an NHL level to generate meaningful offense.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hagg is just garbage. He isn’t suddenly going to improve after being shit in the NHL and equally as garbage for years in the AHL. It isn’t a matter of adjusting, he just sucks.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It is interesting how far off from his draftday assessment he is. Many of us were fine with him because he was depicted as the sort of new-wave dman, but he's evolved into...not that. At all.

So Ginning being pegged as a new current Hagg, when Hagg's own comparison wasn't even what he is now, sure does trouble me to the depths of my damp soul.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
It is interesting how far off from his draftday assessment he is. Many of us were fine with him because he was depicted as the sort of new-wave dman, but he's evolved into...not that. At all.

So Ginning being pegged as a new current Hagg, when Hagg's own comparison wasn't even what he is now, sure does trouble me to the depths of my damp soul.

Plot twist: Ginning develops Karlsson-level pucks skills this season.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

Projections are wrong and for the wrong reasons quite often. That Hagg got projected as something he's not ("2-way") doesn't mean he was what the projection said but simply got mislabeled. It's not like he wasn't a bit of a faller despite his hype. He's had 6 years as a pro to show something. People might point to junior numbers and quick ascension to the SHL, which likely led to those projections, but ignore how physically mature he was against peers and how elevated his junior usage was to make him look better than he was. How often do we see players at lower levels not translate at higher levels because of maturity and low hockey IQ, etc.? Hagg quite literally cannot pass a puck in any zone; can't skate with a puck; has little athleticism; will consistently take awful shots or miss wide open reads because he has close to zero offensive feel -- forget "creativity," his hockey sense is a mess. I don't understand how this isn't evident to the naked eye, let alone his putrid stats.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Projections are wrong for wrong reasons quite often. That Hagg got projected as something he's not ("2-way") doesn't mean he was what the projection said. He's had 6 years as a pro to show something. People might point to junior numbers, which led to those projections, but ignore how physically mature he was against peers and how elevated his junior usage was. How often do we see players at lower levels not translate because of maturity and low hockey IQ, etc.? Hagg quite literally cannot pass a puck in any zone; can't skate with a puck; has little athleticism; will consistently take awful shots or miss wide open reads because he has close to zero offensive feel -- forget "creativity," his hockey sense is a mess.

He is actually worse than Carle when it comes to utilizing his shot or getting to space to get a good shot off, but he tried to force it anyway. It's saddening.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Projections are wrong for wrong reasons quite often. That Hagg got projected as something he's not ("2-way") doesn't mean he was what the projection said. He's had 6 years as a pro to show something. People might point to junior numbers, which led to those projections, but ignore how physically mature he was against peers and how elevated his junior usage was. How often do we see players at lower levels not translate because of maturity and low hockey IQ, etc.? Hagg quite literally cannot pass a puck in any zone; can't skate with a puck; has little athleticism; will consistently take awful shots or miss wide open reads because he has close to zero offensive feel -- forget "creativity," his hockey sense is a mess.

See, I just think he's working on a ground-breaking new defensive technique that utilizes telekinesis to guide the puck away from danger, which is why he stares intensely at the puck instead of making a play on it. He hasn't mastered this technique yet, but watch out for when he does. Being able to move the puck with his mind will give him a huge advantage over those that can move it with their sticks.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
See, I just think he's working on a ground-breaking new defensive technique that utilizes telekinesis to guide the puck away from danger, which is why he stares intensely at the puck instead of making a play on it. He hasn't mastered this technique yet, but watch out for when he does. Being able to move the puck with his mind will give him a huge advantage over those that can move it with their sticks.

Tangentially moving away from Hagg joining the X-Men, I always loved the "intensity" argument that has followed him for years. People always raved about his work ethic, but he didn't play with "intensity." Now that he chases people to crunch along the boards that narrative has gone away. Mission accomplished.

Cut the hockey guy crap away from that narrative, and you have a simpler and more plausible explanation: he's a low IQ player who has trouble making decisions and impacting games. "Intensity."

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hagg is a staple. Getting better this year. Ginning solid pker and a pain to play. Orpik we should sign for one yr to pk and help the kids play with passion.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Watch the games from the first part of the season. He did this repeatedly to a fault.
I watched too much Robert Hagg over the years. He's the furthest thing from a pass first kind of guy. He's got tunnel vision and often fires low percentage shots as a result. But for arguments sake, let's say we are both biased. Let's take a peak at Corey Sznajder's tracking data:

Primary Shot Assists/60:

5f873c882ee0a97d0d5e63e3f591e984.png

Lowest on the team by a mile. League wide? Ranked 194 out of 197 defensemen tracked.

Ranked 191 out of 197 defensemen in Total Shot Assists/60.

Was credited with ZERO "Dangerous" assists all season.

And keep in mind much of his time on the ice came with Giroux, Couturier, and Voracek.

Also this:

haggxro95

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I watched too much Robert Hagg over the years. He's the furthest thing from a pass first kind of guy. He's got tunnel vision and often fires low percentage shots as a result. But for arguments sake, let's say we are both biased. Let's take a peak at Corey Sznajder's tracking data:

Primary Shot Assists/60:

5f873c882ee0a97d0d5e63e3f591e984.png

Lowest on the team by a mile. League wide? Ranked 194 out of 197 defensemen tracked.

Ranked 191 out of 197 defensemen in Total Shot Assists/60.

Was credited with ZERO "Dangerous" assists all season.

And keep in mind much of his time on the ice came with Giroux, Couturier, and Voracek.

Also this:

haggxro95

#fakenews

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

The flyers have coached any possible offence out of both Hagg and Morin. In the AHL, neither was given an opportunity to work on their offensive game, and both were told to just focus on defence.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The flyers have coached any possible offence out of both Hagg and Morin. In the AHL, neither was given an opportunity to work on their offensive game, and both were told to just focus on defence.
I will say, I hated this. And yes I know their defense is what we would need to compliment the offensive guys, but to not even try and develop any offence is dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad