2018-19 Roster talk; Part four

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
His hands are soft and fast, but in some ways it's a superficial skill right now. Just like a guy having a good shot (Nolan again), but he can't put himself in position to use it. Now, in front of the net it becomes less superficial. It's why I like him in that role, or as a passer below the goal line. But when you watch Ghost or Giroux, it's the flurry of head fakes and body fakes that drive defenders mad. It's why it always looks so easy when they gain the zone or get a checker out of position. Patrick can be easy to read on the half wall, and you see PKers have no issue just running at him because he can't out skate or out stickhandle them. Even at ES, he's not particularly aggressive attacking defenders with his hands. He more so just goes into corners.

I want to make clear this isn't a longterm projection or critical flaw. He'll get better, even if I still don't think he's best QBing a PP.

Yup. He's not deceptive when he's stagnant, which is what makes him an easy read, but he's so good when he gets his feet moving, think about how he walked around Klingberg to get that scoring chance a few games ago.

Soon, it's going to be difficult to keep him off that unit, but he's not taking G's spot (ha) on the PP. G will be there for 3 - 4 more years, I would imagine. It probably makes the most sense to let him play net front.

I wasn't blaming him primarily. It sounds bad, but Konecny and Provorov are every bit as much or more to blame. Konecny has the quickness and puck skill to play the half wall, but he's never been a good PP player, even at the junior level. He just doesn't have the patience and poise right now. And Provorov.....you know. It's really hard to have a productive PP when your THREE major QBs are mediocre at it. We saw Ghost go down to PP2 last game and just start working it, and Patrick/TK actually switched sides so they can face the net and not have to move around too much.

I watch Frost QB a PP, and he looks like the closest thing to a Giroux heir apparent. If he blows there, I'll be at a loss.

TK's lack of PP production is weird, I wonder if he would be better in the high slot, a la Hartnell/Schenn/Couts. I don't think he's the best at deflections, tho.

I kinda view NoPa in this situation as Jake on PP1. Jake is a very good PP player, but let's not joke, the typical PP setup lives and dies with Giroux and Ghost. Having a great playmaker like Jake on his off wing is great, but usually the D is torn apart by a move from Giroux or Ghost and then they get the puck to Jake who has great passing ability and can be the final piece. That's not to say Jake doesn't make his fair share of plays on the PP, but he's not the main catalyst.

I think if Frost and Sanheim are your two QBs on that unit, Patrick can be the Jake of that group. He would have to be a bit more mobile than Jake is, tho.

Honestly, I don't really care where Patrick plays on the PP as long as there are two effective units, and I think there's enough skill in our lineup right now that we should be producing better results from our PP (both units).

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Don’t even know what the hell that is.

It's got a strap in the back instead of snaps.
krooked-shmolo-embroidered-strapback-hat-black-reverse.webp

denominator

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2012
Fort St John
I'll try to avoid going completely off topic about the Oilers.

Congrats on the successful season and coming back on us every time. What’s your take on pool party? Is he another edm disaster that could rebound or is it stay away time?

I think he's fixable if he gets out of Edmonton soon, otherwise he's going to Yakupov pretty quick. I'm already worried they lowered his ceiling (well, only worried if he moves out of Edmonton - if he stays an Oiler I am okay with him never being more than a Ty Rattie). Edmonton has no patience in ANY of their prospects, look at how they handled Draisaitl, Nuge, etc and now Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and almost Bouchard.

The Flyers would be a good fit for Puljujujujujullllarvviiajjijij because you have the depth to stick him in the AHL and develop. The prospect depth in the Flyers system is great so there would be no rush on him, and the pressure of being a top-5 pick dissipates once a player moves (see: Lindholm, Elias or Strome, Dylan).

"A PIECE"???????

That team needs MANY pieces to become a contender :laugh:

I'm excited to see how much damage he can do before he's fired. I hope we take advantage of him.

It pains me to say it, but they actually are a single good winger away from a playoff team. McDavid is just that f***ing good. He's in on >50% of their goals and produces points even when his regular wingers combine for <5 goals on the season. Draisaitl is a hell of a player too, and carries a second line. Nuge is a great 3rd line centre. McDavid makes whoever he plays with relevant - same as Crosby does with guys like Rust and Sheary. Their defence is junk and their goaltending is suspect but if McDavid can put up another Art Ross calibre season and they add a decent winger (I don't think Simmonds counts, but maybe Chiarelli does) then he might just carry them to the playoffs.

Oh - the other fun rumour is that Chiarelli is considering James Neal as his winger. I don't know the source, but if it's accurate and Chiarelli is seriously looking at James Neal and/or Wayne Simmonds, I hope that Treliving and Fletcher have their phones surgically attached to their heads and all numbers other than Peter Chiarelli's removed.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I'll try to avoid going completely off topic about the Oilers.

I think he's fixable if he gets out of Edmonton soon, otherwise he's going to Yakupov pretty quick. I'm already worried they lowered his ceiling (well, only worried if he moves out of Edmonton - if he stays an Oiler I am okay with him never being more than a Ty Rattie). Edmonton has no patience in ANY of their prospects, look at how they handled Draisaitl, Nuge, etc and now Puljujarvi and Yamamoto and almost Bouchard.

The Flyers would be a good fit for Puljujujujujullllarvviiajjijij because you have the depth to stick him in the AHL and develop. The prospect depth in the Flyers system is great so there would be no rush on him, and the pressure of being a top-5 pick dissipates once a player moves (see: Lindholm, Elias or Strome, Dylan).

It pains me to say it, but they actually are a single good winger away from a playoff team. McDavid is just that ****ing good. He's in on >50% of their goals and produces points even when his regular wingers combine for <5 goals on the season. Draisaitl is a hell of a player too, and carries a second line. Nuge is a great 3rd line centre. McDavid makes whoever he plays with relevant - same as Crosby does with guys like Rust and Sheary. Their defence is junk and their goaltending is suspect but if McDavid can put up another Art Ross calibre season and they add a decent winger (I don't think Simmonds counts, but maybe Chiarelli does) then he might just carry them to the playoffs.

Oh - the other fun rumour is that Chiarelli is considering James Neal as his winger. I don't know the source, but if it's accurate and Chiarelli is seriously looking at James Neal and/or Wayne Simmonds, I hope that Treliving and Fletcher have their phones surgically attached to their heads and all numbers other than Peter Chiarelli's removed.
Thanks. Honestly if he needs AHL time I’d rather step away

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Supposedly three scouts from Chicago in attendance tonight (according to Scoop Cooper on Facebook).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm sure McKenna is saving every dollar, this is probably the last time he sees a NHL paycheck.

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Whoever said Simmonds for Zaitsev. I would love that. Too bad Toronto won’t do that.
I think I’m the only one who still likes Simmonds.
If I could re sign him for short term I would.

But again, if you let him go, I want to bring in someone who scores goals. And has speed.

Moondog47

Feb 5, 2014
Two players I would love on this team next year are Parayko and Stone. Neither will be cheap to trade for and never know how UFA will work out (Stone). Think those two pieces could really help round out the Flyers roster and help solidify the core. Most likely would need to see some combination of Ghost/Myers and Simmonds/Voarcek gone although I think I would be okay as long as there wasn't multiple major other pieces going in some of those deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad