2018-19 Roster talk; Part four

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
One more year at 4. 75.

Hes still a decent starting goaltender. Not top 15 , but 16 - 25 quality.

I could see Weise + Myers for Anderson

:laugh:

Youre not getting a soon-to-be 22 year old stud 6'5 right-handed two-way D prospect for a soon-to-be 38 year old goalie. The fact that this hasnt dawned on you yet is disturbing.

Youre not getting much of anything for Anderson to be honest.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I could see Weise + Myers for Anderson

We love Myers. There would be riots.

tenor.gif

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I don't know why would Ottawa want to trade Anderson. There's no way any semi decent goalie will willingly sign there to replace him.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Flyers are only carrying 12 forwards today since horse has been told to stay in his stall.
If a forward goes down Justin Bailey could be recalled sooner then later.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They're only playing one game, so if a forward goes down (unless it's the morning skate) you can't use anyone in any case.

It's not like a five game road trip where you don't want to have to fly someone out on an emergency basis so you bring extra players along as insurance.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Anderson has probably slipped below the semi-decent mark.

Went to check their msg board to find out they are lukewarm about having him back next season. Word is age has been catching up on him and he is barely a quality backup these days. Probably bit of a hyperbole and also due to the fact that he used to be well above average for such a long time.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Went to check their msg board to find out they are lukewarm about having him back next season. Word is age has been catching up on him and he is barely a quality backup these days. Probably bit of a hyperbole and also due to the fact that he used to be well above average for such a long time.

A lot of people were down on him last season. He had a bad season, but so did everybody.

I'm not sure where you got that sentiment that people see him as barely backup. I don't think people are high on him or anything, but there has been a wide acknowledgement that he was one of our most important players this season and that his play in net kept us decent. Anderson going down was a big part of what triggered a losing streak that cemented us as a basement team. Prior to that, we were mostly flirting with being a few points outside a wild card spot.

He's still very much an NHL starter. There's uncertainty around how well he'll play going forward because of his age, but I'd expect that to be reflected in his trade value. It's difficult to get goalies right now. The only reason the Senators would trade him is either due to the team being in a rebuild, or the team wanting to shed cash any way they can to prepare for Stone or Duchene extensions. A normal team probably doesn't trade Anderson without someone to replace him in the pipeline.

I'd say he's probably worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick if the Senators take back Weise to offset Anderson's cap hit. If I recall, Mike Smith went for a 3rd. The goalie market right now is a seller's market. It's nearly impossible for teams to acquire an established backup at a reasonable price, let alone an expected starter. Ottawa and Toronto both had to give up late picks in order to acquire backups who had flamed out with their team and had no guarantee to be productive acquisitions. (It's worked out well for Ottawa so far though). While I don't think the Flyers are giving up a premium asset for Anderson, if the prevailing thought is that he's an iffy ageing goalie, I think what the Flyers have to give up for him might end up being viewed as an overpayment. At the end of the day, if their goal is to compete next season and they need a goalie, Anderson might be their best value option.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
A lot of people were down on him last season. He had a bad season, but so did everybody.

I'm not sure where you got that sentiment that people see him as barely backup. I don't think people are high on him or anything, but there has been a wide acknowledgement that he was one of our most important players this season and that his play in net kept us decent. Anderson going down was a big part of what triggered a losing streak that cemented us as a basement team. Prior to that, we were mostly flirting with being a few points outside a wild card spot.

He's still very much an NHL starter. There's uncertainty around how well he'll play going forward because of his age, but I'd expect that to be reflected in his trade value. It's difficult to get goalies right now. The only reason the Senators would trade him is either due to the team being in a rebuild, or the team wanting to shed cash any way they can to prepare for Stone or Duchene extensions. A normal team probably doesn't trade Anderson without someone to replace him in the pipeline.

I'd say he's probably worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick if the Senators take back Weise to offset Anderson's cap hit. If I recall, Mike Smith went for a 3rd. The goalie market right now is a seller's market. It's nearly impossible for teams to acquire an established backup at a reasonable price, let alone an expected starter. Ottawa and Toronto both had to give up late picks in order to acquire backups who had flamed out with their team and had no guarantee to be productive acquisitions. (It's worked out well for Ottawa so far though). While I don't think the Flyers are giving up a premium asset for Anderson, if the prevailing thought is that he's an iffy ageing goalie, I think what the Flyers have to give up for him might end up being viewed as an overpayment. At the end of the day, if their goal is to compete next season and they need a goalie, Anderson might be their best value option.
Goalie market? What teams are actively looking for a goalie though?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At the end of the day, if their goal is to compete next season and they need a goalie, Anderson might be their best value option.

We have a starting goalie, whose already better than Anderson. Hart is the real thing (best CHL goalie in a decade or longer, hasn't missed a beat in the NHL).
We might be looking for a backup goalie, but obviously we're not going to overpay.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
We have a starting goalie, whose already better than Anderson. Hart is the real thing (best CHL goalie in a decade or longer, hasn't missed a beat in the NHL).
We might be looking for a backup goalie, but obviously we're not going to overpay.
I like how Hart had looked so far, but you can't just claim he's the real deal with such a small sample size. What if he shits the bed next year and all we have is Alex Lyon as his back up? We will definitely need someone capable as a 1b goalie next year in case that happens

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Hart has been the real deal in the AHL, Juniors and in U-20 international competition. There 's no reason to believe that he won't be a competent goalie in the NHL. I'm sure that he'll hit some road bumps but he has the skills to overcome that.
What is interesting for the Flyers going forward will be what will they do with all of the goalies that they presently have. At the end of the season, Stolarz is an RFA. Then there are the UFAs-Lyon, McKenna, Elliott and Neuvirth. Sandstrom is contracted for next season and will probably start the year in LV. Then there are the Russian goalies, one of which, Ustimenko, probably needs to be brought over to NA for his development since he is getting jacked around for PT in Russia. Its going to be an interesting shake out.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hart has been the real deal in the AHL, Juniors and in U-20 international competition. There 's no reason to believe that he won't be a competent goalie in the NHL. I'm sure that he'll hit some road bumps but he has the skills to overcome that.
What is interesting for the Flyers going forward will be what will they do with all of the goalies that they presently have. At the end of the season, Stolarz is an RFA. Then there are the UFAs-Lyon, McKenna, Elliott and Neuvirth. Sandstrom is contracted for next season and will probably start the year in LV. Then there are the Russian goalies, one of which, Ustimenko, probably needs to be brought over to NA for his development since he is getting jacked around for PT in Russia. Its going to be an interesting shake out.
Lyon, McKenna, Elliott, and Neuvy can say "so long."

Stolie should be re-signed, IMO. He and Sandstrom should be the Phantoms' goalies next year. Ustimenko is very promising, but I'd give him another year in Russia. I'd look to sign McElhinney or Talbot as the backup on a one-year deal, like Lehner got this season in Long Island.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lyon is now up to .917 S% in LHV behind a porous defense after a slow start which I think reflected being rushed back from injury b/c the Flyers were desperate for a warm body between the pipes. Given his Calder Cup performance last year and his play this year, I'd give him a long look as the backup goalie instead of another scrub veteran.

Reactions: baudib1

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Lyon, McKenna, Elliott, and Neuvy can say "so long."

Stolie should be re-signed, IMO. He and Sandstrom should be the Phantoms' goalies next year. Ustimenko is very promising, but I'd give him another year in Russia. I'd look to sign McElhinney or Talbot as the backup on a one-year deal, like Lehner got this season in Long Island.
Stolarz and Sandstrom in LV next season works for me with Stolarz being the guy that moves up if one of the two goalies in Philly breaks down. Hart along with Talbot or McElhinney would work as well. However it wouldn't surprise me to see the LAK try to ship Quick here and for the Flyers to be interested in him. The rest of those guys have had their shots and can say so long.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I like how Hart had looked so far, but you can't just claim he's the real deal with such a small sample size. What if he ****s the bed next year and all we have is Alex Lyon as his back up? We will definitely need someone capable as a 1b goalie next year in case that happens

Alex Lyon can handle the backup job next season, he’ll be fine.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I've seen enough of Lyon at the NHL level to reach my personal conclusion that I do not want him as the full-time backup.

Why because he was brought in as a cold goalie by Haktart, and didn’t preform so well.
I don’t believe a lot of goalies would preform under those conditions.

As for Stolarz, I’m not sold on him as a backup.
Stolarz is just big that’s the only thing that saves him most of the time.

Stolarz = Walrus

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Why because he was brought in as a cold goalie by Haktart, and didn’t preform so well.
I don’t believe a lot of goalies would preform under those conditions.

As for Stolarz, I’m not sold on him as a backup.
Stolarz is just big that’s the only thing that saves him most of the time.

Stolarz = Walrus

I watched Lyon play in 11 games for the Flyers last season, in addition to his 2 this season. I've also seen him play live and on TV with the Phantoms. He is 26 years old, not some fresh-faced kid. And IMO he's not an NHL-caliber goaltender -- his movements, his rebounds, I just don't see it. Not a guy I want my NHL season to depend on if my starting goalie goes down, and the Flyers have younger guys who need the AHL time.

Stolarz is younger than Lyon and has improved a lot from when I first watched him. As you mentioned, he has excellent size, which is one advantage over Lyon. But he's also a better athlete than Lyon. He has more upside than Lyon, and also IMO is already a better NHL goalie than Lyon. I'm not going to downgrade him because his size is an asset. I still would not trust Stolarz as the NHL backup next season, but certainly I'd bring him back for the Phantoms and use him as a call-up when needed. And I do see him as a potential full-time NHL backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad