Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 4: Started from the bottom now we're kinda sorta here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
The solution to Buffalo's #2 C trouble is named Johan Larsson.

That and splitting Eichel and Skinner up. No one wants to, but things will start going bad if we don't get any goals from the middle-6.

Eichel can produce with anyone.

Sheary-Eichel-Olofsson

Skinner-Larsson-Reinhart

Rodrigues-Mittelstadt-Okposo

Smith-Sobotka-Girgensons

To AHL: Thompson

To waivers: Poms

Deal?

No. You don't break-up one of the hottest lines in the league to hopefully fix 2. You bring in someone who can handle those responsibilities whether by trade or call-up.

Eichel is hand-cuffed to Skinner. In a non-kinky fantasy way.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

That and splitting Eichel and Skinner up. No one wants to, but things will start going bad if we don't get any goals from the middle-6.

Sheary-Eichel-Olofsson

Skinner-Larsson-Reinhart

Smith-Sobotka-Girgensons

Deal?
Larsson is good on the 4th line in defensive assignments.
Of course you can assign him as 2C but dont expect any offense happening.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Gonna put a big no on moving Scandella, the current flavor of the month this guy has something going on behind the scenes but hes not fulfilling the show me nature of fans so lets ship him out for anything regardless

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Sheary-Eichel-Olofsson

Skinner-Larsson-Reinhart

Smith-Sobotka-Girgensons

Deal?

Not sure where you see Larsson as a second line center. Leave him where he is. He has a core value to the team in the role he provides.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Gonna put a big no on moving Scandella, the current flavor of the month this guy has something going on behind the scenes but hes not fulfilling the show me nature of fans so lets ship him out for anything regardless
Last year was our second best defence men probably tried playing hurt,they shut him down,back now give him a chance

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Larsson is good on the 4th line in defensive assignments.
Of course you can assign him as 2C but dont expect any offense happening.
Agreed. Larssons skating, puck possession and compete level are some of the best on the team, but his shot is dismal at best and his offensive instincts aren't much better.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Sheary-Eichel-Olofsson

Skinner-Larsson-Reinhart

Smith-Sobotka-Girgensons

Deal?

So hold on. The center who, in his career as a Sabre, was couldn't earn more ice time than:

Bryan Flynn
Zemgus Girgensons
Mikhail Grigerenko
Cody Hodgson
Torrey Mitchell
Tyler Ennis
David Legwand
Derek Grant

Who was a part of 3 last place NHL teams and couldn't break the top 6 on some truly awful teams.

With a career high of 17 points.

THAT Johan Larsson is going to be our 2nd line center?

Yeah no. Larsson is a lot of things. A top 6 NHL center isn't one of them. He's a great 4th line possession guy. Good at forechecking. Good at matching up.

Awful at producing any offense. I love Larsson as a forechecker. He's never going to put up big numbers unless you put him on Eichel's line and tell him to start deflecting pucks off his ass.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Skinner is an elite close-in finisher. Jack is the only one on this team that can maximize that ability at the moment.

Reactions: Goathead

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I really hope we get to see Smith, Olofsson and Nylander up here soon. Having even one of those guys come up and have success in a secondary scoring role would be huge. Not only would it provide scoring apart from the top line but would also allow us to stand pat. I’d rather not start throwing away assets at the deadline if we don’t have to. GET THESE GUYS UP HERE!

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I hate to break it to fans of line numbering, but right now we have a 1st line and three 3rd lines... So the 'leave Larsson in his 4th line role' is not really a thing. Average even strength ice time for each center:

Eichel - 14:34
Sobotka - 12:01
Larsson - 11:22
Mitts - 11:07

Average total (all strengths) ice time:

Eichel - 20:10
Sobotka - 14:54
Larsson - 14:25
Mitts - 13:26

The way they've played, I actually have no problem with Larsson or Mitts as they're currently deployed. Sure, Mitts isn't having a Barzal like rookie year, but if he gets going the way he did the second half of his Minnesota year we'll be in good shape. And while Larsson's line gives you nothing offensively, they muck up and tire out the good players on the opposition, so that's good enough for me.

What we need is something out of Sobotka's line. They regularly give nothing offensively or defensively. Everytime they come on the ice they look like they're hanging on for dear life until it's time to head back to the bench. If there is any way that Brassard is actually available I'm making that move yesterday. I happen to think our middle 6 wingers are good enough, although I'm happy to have the kids from Rochester prove that theory wrong.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
I very much like the idea of trading Sobotka + for Brassard. If for nothing else to get him away from Housley. Also bring up Nylander and run with this:

Skinner-Eichel-Rodrigues
Sheary-Brassard-Reinhart
Nylander-Mitts-Thompson
Girgs-Larsson-Okposo

Hopefully playing with Reino can get Brassard going. Mitts has been solid defensively and Nylander was also good in preseason in our zone so I’m not worries about defence from that line. That line worked very well together before. Hopefully Okposo can bring some offence to that 4th line.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Man remember that time Larsson ripped it up with Moulson and Ennis... be nice to have that guy around again offensively.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson/Nylander
xxxx-Mittelstadt-Reinhart

I normally wouldn't advocate for breaking up one of the best lines in hockey, but they need to be focusing on addressing secondary scoring now while they have such an unexpected cushion in the standings.

Moving Reinhart down to Mittelstadt's wing while Sam's still on this hot streak could really help spark Casey, and also provide a nice landing spot for Olofsson or Nylander next to Skinner and Eichel. If those two can make a scorer out of Old Man Pominville, one of the Roch kids may be able to flourish there from the start.

And it's not like they can't put Reinhart back on the first line if the move doesn't work either, the chemistry will always be there. But its worth figuring out now rather than later if Sam and Casey can have a similar chemistry to Sam and Jack.

Reactions: Goathead

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
If we're really looking at a deep playoff run, I wonder what the chances are of nabbing a 1/2C from a tank team. We have the ammo in 3 first round picks, fairly deep prospects, etc.

Would Botts be able to grab a Couturier? Or maybe even Toews or Kopitar? Or, maybe a more temporary fill (UFA) like Kevin Hayes?

Is a 2C even a concern right now? Adding some depth come playoffs would be great, and I just wonder how available players are from tanking teams - and if it's worth it to go for one.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
If we're really looking at a deep playoff run, I wonder what the chances are of nabbing a 1/2C from a tank team. We have the ammo in 3 first round picks, fairly deep prospects, etc.

Would Botts be able to grab a Couturier? Or maybe even Toews or Kopitar? Or, maybe a more temporary fill (UFA) like Kevin Hayes?

Is a 2C even a concern right now? Adding some depth come playoffs would be great, and I just wonder how available players are from tanking teams - and if it's worth it to go for one.

Cap. Space.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Friedman has already said that the Sabres aren't going to pay a premium price for a rental this year even with 4 1sts between the 2019 & 2020 drafts.

And even with the Berglund contract evaporating, I don't see Botts spending that cap space like a teenager with Christmas money burning a hole in their pocket.

Botts is patient and I think he has re-signing Skinner as the #1 priority over the medium term and he wants to figure out how to cost effectively upgrade the middle six forwards.

But, he also seems ready to lean on the Rochester kids for some of that, too.

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
Friedman has already said that the Sabres aren't going to pay a premium price for a rental this year even with 4 1sts between the 2019 & 2020 drafts.

And even with the Berglund contract evaporating, I don't see Botts spending that cap space like a teenager with Christmas money burning a hole in their pocket.

Botts is patient and I think he has re-signing Skinner as the #1 priority over the medium term and he wants to figure out how to cost effectively upgrade the middle six forwards.

But, he also seems ready to lean on the Rochester kids for some of that, too.

Good deal, I'll take it. Tho wouldn't mind throwing a 2nd at NYR for Hayes rental. We've certainly got more than enough in time, but might have 1 or 2 holes still this year, come playoffs.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
My lineup would win the SC this season, too bad we won't get to see this due to people not seeing my raw potential as an NHL coach. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad