2018-19 Roster Speculation Pt. 3: Started from the bottom now we're here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I feel like Philadelphia would want either multiple 1st’s, or something involving Mittelstadt? Couturier scored 76pts last season and is on pace for over 65. He’s a top-6 center who has major defensive upside as well.

I would wonder if someone like Koneckny is available? He could be a solid middle-6 scoring center. I know he’s played a lot of wing but I would assume part of that is because of Giroux/Couturier/Patrick down the middle?

He’s only 21, is a great skater, scored 47pts last year and is on pace for about 50pts right now.

As for buy-low candidates, I wonder about the following...

Jared McCann (Florida): maybe for something involving Scandella. Maybe even a Scandella/Rodrigues for McCann/Pysyk deal? Neither have done much of anything for Florida this year, and neither were spectacular even last season.

Andrew Copp (Winnipeg): he’s currently on IR, but he’s a bigger bodied, feisty player who could provide depth down the middle. He’s been shifted to the wing because Winnipeg has Scheifele, Little, Roslovic, and Lowry all above him as centers. I wonder if a change could be what he needs to project him forward. He could probably be had in a deal for a Casey Nelson as Winnipeg may be looking for RHD depth with Myers being a UFA and Trouba being a potential trade away RFA candidate.

Tierney or Pageau would interest me as well, just not sure how interested Ottawa would be in trading within the division. Pageau could probably be done for something like Beaulieu. Tierney might cost more, and not really sure what Ottawa is looking to do next year (do they try to keep Stone, Dzingel & Duchene and build with that & Toachuk)? Or do they move as much as they can at the deadline and start building up picks and prospects.

Been posting a McCann/Pysyk trade for a while. I think that's a good route to pursue.

Really hope Turcotte falls in the draft due to his injury. He's exactly what the Sabres need.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Berglund heading back to Sweden would be huge for the Sabres if they mutually void his contract.

Moulson 5 million
Berglund close to 4 million
Pominville 5.5 million
Beaulieu 2.5 million

17 million right there to re-sign skinner and improve center spine while also putting money away to extend Dahlin/Reinhart/Pilut/etc. If we can rid Okposo's contract most of Murray's awful deals will have been removed and Botterill will have our cap situation decent with Eichel signed long-term, and Sobotka/Hunwick/etc.

Playing around with capfriendly

Sign Pavelski 2y 16mil
Sign Silfverberg 4y 18mil
Sign Skinner 7y 52.5mil

Scratches
Hunwick
Sobotka (Both him and Hunwick could be bought out to save a few million and it would only cost us an extra year)
Nelson
Wilson

Call Ups
Nylander if he ever puts it fully together
Olofsson hopefully is on the team by the end of the year pushing the Rodrigues' out and Sheary's down the lineup (and ideally Okposo isn't on the team and one of these two makes the lineup)

Left WingCentreRight Wing
buffalo_sabres.svg

Skinner, Jeff
$7,500,000
LW
buffalo_sabres.svg

Eichel, Jack
$10,000,000
C
UFA - 7
buffalo_sabres.svg

Reinhart, Sam
$3,650,000
RW, C
RFA - 1
buffalo_sabres.svg

Sheary, Conor
$3,000,000
edit.svg

LW, RW
UFA - 1
Pavelski, Joe
$8,000,000
C
Silfverberg, Jakob
$4,500,000
RW
buffalo_sabres.svg

Thompson, Tage
$925,000
C, RW
RFA - 1
buffalo_sabres.svg

Mittelstadt, Casey
$925,000
C
RFA - 1
buffalo_sabres.svg

Okposo, Kyle
$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
buffalo_sabres.svg

Girgensons, Zemgus
$2,000,000
C, LW
RFA
buffalo_sabres.svg

Larsson, Johan
$1,750,000
C, LW
RFA
buffalo_sabres.svg

Rodrigues, Evan
$800,000
C
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
buffalo_sabres.svg

Dahlin, Rasmus
$925,000
D
RFA - 2
buffalo_sabres.svg

Bogosian, Zach
$5,142,857
D
UFA - 1
buffalo_sabres.svg

Hutton, Carter
$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
buffalo_sabres.svg

Pilut, Lawrence
$925,000
D
RFA - 1
buffalo_sabres.svg

Ristolainen, Rasmus
$5,400,000
D
UFA - 3
buffalo_sabres.svg

Ullmark, Linus
$1,000,000
G
RFA
buffalo_sabres.svg

Scandella, Marco
$4,000,000
D
UFA - 1
buffalo_sabres.svg

McCabe, Jake
$3,000,000
D
RFA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
What Cs do we have to call up though? Asplund doesn't seem ready yet. Our 3 legit call-up options at forward are all wingers.

We don't have a good call up option for a 2C but a 2C would also be expensive in trade, more than I'd pay for a rental.

We can make improvements to the middle six without rentals. Better wingers (call ups) or moving Reinhart or Erod to the middle six would help.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
What Cs do we have to call up though? Asplund doesn't seem ready yet. Our 3 legit call-up options at forward are all wingers.

Not suggesting we call him up for this purpose but it’s at least worth noting that Smith has played center two games in a row.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
I still want Reinhart to get an extended look at center given how dry the scoring has been past the top line. Maybe he can carry some of that mojo with him.

Skinner - Eichel - Pominville
Thompson - Reinhart - Okposo
Sheary - Mittelstadt - Rodrigues
Sobotka - Larsson - Girgensons

Won't happen, I know...

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If we're focusing in on centers:

Marcus Johannsen from NJ. Injured last year. Ok production this year. Pending UFA. Likely low cost.
Ansimov from Chicago. Pre IR, I was toying with the idea of flipping him for Berglund. Slightly higher cap hit, shorter term.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I still want Reinhart to get an extended look at center given how dry the scoring has been past the top line. Maybe he can carry some of that mojo with him.

Skinner - Eichel - Pominville
Thompson - Reinhart - Okposo
Sheary - Mittelstadt - Rodrigues
Sobotka - Larsson - Girgensons

Won't happen, I know...
I definitely feel like this could be a legit answer to our problems.

Pominville is solid on the top line, so that doesn't worry me. It pushes Mitts down a line and we have some respectable wingers we could pair with him (including those on the farm as time/injury goes on).

Just my own speculation, I have a feeling that Reinhart prefers the wing and Botts/Housley haven't felt a need to force the issue as the team has been propped up well enough by the 1st/4th line and goaltending while Mitts is learning.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Mattias Janmark in Dallas might be a decent option. He was sick and missed 2016-17 but came back last season with 19-15-34 in 81 games. He's got speed but Dallas has a glut of Cs and he's been on the wing. Thought he played C though.

As for CJ Smith, did injury force him to play a few games at C or could it be an experiment by the coaching staff? There isn't much room for him as a LW in Buffalo after all. If he could transition to C, Sobotka can move down to LW with Larsson and Girgensons.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Mattias Janmark in Dallas might be a decent option. He was sick and missed 2016-17 but came back last season with 19-15-34 in 81 games. He's got speed but Dallas has a glut of Cs and he's been on the wing. Thought he played C though.

As for CJ Smith, did injury force him to play a few games at C or could it be an experiment by the coaching staff? There isn't much room for him as a LW in Buffalo after all. If he could transition to C, Sobotka can move down to LW with Larsson and Girgensons.
Injuries have been kicking the Amerks' butt at Center...they're down Criscuolo, Porter and Oglevie at the moment. The only two natural centers on the team right now are Asplund and Malone. Possibly O'Reagan but I think he's more of a winger these days.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sissons from Nashville would be a solid add. Though I wonder if he's more of a 4C than a 3C. He does have the same Bonino knack for coming up big in the playoffs.

Jared McCann would also be a good target.

And then there is the center from Ottawa which we cannot name.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'd like to see Okposo eventually move to RW with Larsson and Girgensons. I know it's the "4th line." But I think he'd be a great fit there. Size, plays big, and adds scoring punch to that line. I think it'd be a nightmare to play against for other top lines.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Does Thompson finally go to Rochester when Wilson is healthy? Gonna have a logjam on the roster when all these injured guys get back ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad