Line Combos: 2018/19 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Bennett played with Gaudreau and Lazar from the middway point of the second period against the Jets. And about for the first 20 against the Ducks. They were never together against the Oilers. Wow he didn't get a point in two games with Johnny. What a shitty player

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Bennett played with Gaudreau and Lazar from the middway point of the second period against the Jets. And about for the first 20 against the Ducks. They were never together against the Oilers. Wow he didn't get a point in two games with Johnny. What a ****ty player

Didn't he spend six or seven games on the top line RW? He got 2 points on the top line, so what makes you think he deserves another look there over guys like Lindholm or Neal?

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Bennett played with Gaudreau and Lazar from the middway point of the second period against the Jets. And about for the first 20 against the Ducks. They were never together against the Oilers. Wow he didn't get a point in two games with Johnny. What a ****ty player

There were over a dozen games where Sam played with Johnny and 6-7 where he, Johnny, and Mony were together. Sam had 2 points.

The reason Sam lost his spot with Gaudreau is because this line hurt the Flames more than it helped. This is not bad coaching... It is a good example of a player that is not able to compete at the NHL at center ice.

Sam's performance or lack there of was the reason Jankowski was called up. Sam's play was so abysmal at center management didn't have a choice but to call Jankowski up despite their desire to keep him in the AHL.

I never said Sam was a ***tty player. I said it was time to start making him earn his minutes and opportunities. I am on the record as saying Sam does not have the hockey IQ to be playing center. I am on the record saying Sam should be surrounded by experienced players so he can learn to translate his junior level game to the NHL.

I have always said Bennett has some amazing physical talents most NHLers are envious of but he does not have the mental side of the game.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'll just keep beating the same drum with Bennett, ya'll need patience for a kid so young who clearly possess talent. He needs to figure out how to translate that to NHL success...Not every prospect comes into the NHL like Tkachuk. The majority of cases are like Backlund, not McDavid, I don't get why people are set to write off Bennett when he's 21 years old. Nothing about the history of player development in the modern NHL indicates that Bennett is a bust at this point. Like most 21 year old kids, he's trying to find his way. I'm not saying he's a lock to become a star, I'm saying the potential is still there.

If he can jump into the 40+ point range this year, that'll be progress I'm happy with. I get he's the highest draft pick in flames history, but that didn't insure we were getting a star player, and certainly not a star in his first pro year. More often than not players take time, regardless of draft pedigree. Someone can argue a pick that high should have a greater chance of immediate impact, but if that doesn't happen immediately it doesn't mean you should write that player off.

Calm down everyone, let's see what Bennett brings this year with much improved forward depth.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like that comparison in terms of production. I see Bennett being a 50-60pt producer in his prime. Bennett also plays a power/skill game, which is the hardest type to round out. He just really needs to take a step this year.

If Bennett, Lindholm, Hanifin all take the steps forward they need and Tkachuk can become a star, the Flames should have similar to depth to a team like the Jets. Brodie also has to return to form and Smith needs to stay healthy.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Didn't he spend six or seven games on the top line RW? He got 2 points on the top line, so what makes you think he deserves another look there over guys like Lindholm or Neal?

He played 2 or 3 then we picked up Stewart and he got demoted.

SKRusty is just spouting lies at this point. Bennett never played with Gaudreau for 20 f***ing games last year. He played more with Gaudreau in pre-season because Mony didn't play those games. He played more with Gaudreau in pre-season than all the regular season and in the pre-season Bennett was putting up 2+ points playing with Johnny.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
He played 2 or 3 then we picked up Stewart and he got demoted.

SKRusty is just spouting lies at this point. Bennett never played with Gaudreau for 20 ****ing games last year. He played more with Gaudreau in pre-season because Mony didn't play those games. He played more with Gaudreau in pre-season than all the regular season and in the pre-season Bennett was putting up 2+ points playing with Johnny.

SKRusty spitting lies like there's no tomorrow

I said over dozen with Johnny ... and of those 6-7 were with Johnny and Mony. Twisting words to play your lines?

The reason for no exact numbers are there were some partials due to injury or ineffectiveness. If you don't like the numbers go look them up yourselves. I did not sift through Nov. or Dec. so there may be another game or 2 there but game logs don't lie. If anything I am conservative with the dozen figure. To put it another way it is likely Bennett shared large portions of games 15% of the time last year with Johnny. The only more regular line-mates were Monahan and Ferland.

Who else was given any where near that time on the first line without producing. Ferland's leash was shorter than Sam's and Ferly actually put up points.

You guys just don't like the numbers because they fly in the face of your fantasy world.

Last edited:

SlimBrady

Mar 1, 2007
How bout you send Bennett to Boston where he will be surrounded with experienced players and center our 3rd line...what would it take?

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How bout you send Bennett to Boston where he will be surrounded with experienced players and center our 3rd line...what woukd it take?
More than anyone is willing to pay.

The thing with Bennett is he shows flashes of brilliance and is currently a reliable third liner who, if he breaks out just a little more will be a 2nd liner. Any move for Bennett right now will likely bring us futures. A pick outside the top 15, will most likely develop to be be what he is now, or worse. So it doesn't make sense moving him for that. The only way you perk our ears with an offer, is a top 10 pick and we all know that no GM is willing to pay that.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I’d probably ask for Debrusk.

Realistically it is likely Jake plus a second. Jake was developed very well by the Bruins. They did not rush him into the line-up. When The B's brought him into the line-up they surrounded him with what he needed. That said Debrusk is likely 80% to his optimal talent level. Sam is maybe 25% towards his. The talent level of the two players is not close. The only area DeBrusk has Sam beat is hockey IQ.

I watched Jake for 2 1/2 seasons in Swift Current. He is a very good middle six guy but he will never be able to play on the first line.

Funniest thing I've heard all day lol no thanks

No accounting for taste.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
How bout you send Bennett to Boston where he will be surrounded with experienced players and center our 3rd line...what would it take?

Realistically, the Flames would need a damn good offer to move him, and no team is going to pay much. Other teams will view him as a reclamation project, and Calgary knows he's skilled, and could break out. Calgary isn't going to sell low on him.

No doubt Boston wouldn't deal DeBrusk for him, but I also don't blame Flame fans for wanting him as part of the deal.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To play devil's advocate here, we probably would've said the same thing about Sven Baertschi in the offseason before his trade. A guy who had shown flashes, but then struggled and failed to make an impression. A player that didn't seem to be getting the opportunity to show his talent, but many around here were still convinced the talent was there.

And he was moved for a 2nd when all was said and done, due of course to a trade request. You never know what's going on behind the scenes, so realistically it's not impossible that Bennett gets traded for peanuts.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To play devil's advocate here, we probably would've said the same thing about Sven Baertschi in the offseason before his trade. A guy who had shown flashes, but then struggled and failed to make an impression. A player that didn't seem to be getting the opportunity to show his talent, but many around here were still convinced the talent was there.

And he was moved for a 2nd when all was said and done, due of course to a trade request. You never know what's going on behind the scenes, so realistically it's not impossible that Bennett gets traded for peanuts.
I don't see how this is comparable at all.

When Baertschi was traded he had yet to establish himself as a regular NHL player and had not shown a commitment to improve other areas of his game, thus making him a top 6 or bust prospect.

Sam Bennett on the other hand, had established himself as an everyday NHL player, as a solid 3rd liner and has shown a commitment to other areas of his game.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Realistically it is likely Jake plus a second. Jake was developed very well by the Bruins. They did not rush him into the line-up. When The B's brought him into the line-up they surrounded him with what he needed. That said Debrusk is likely 80% to his optimal talent level. Sam is maybe 25% towards his. The talent level of the two players is not close. The only area DeBrusk has Sam beat is hockey IQ.

I watched Jake for 2 1/2 seasons in Swift Current. He is a very good middle six guy but he will never be able to play on the first line.

No accounting for taste.

Totally delusional, at this point the plus is on the Flames side. DeBrusk has shown a lot more in the NHL and that's all that matter

Face it, Bennett "talent" is overrated. He has been a huge disappointment....maybe due to lack of IQ but whatever it is, that is the fact. We are lucky if he is even a "very good" middle six guy now. Forget about top line. Even BT believes that now. That's why he has been busy this summer upgrading the top 6.

Reactions: crackdown44

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Totally delusional, at this point the plus is on the Flames side. DeBrusk has shown a lot more in the NHL and that's all that matter

Face it, Bennett "talent" is overrated. He has been a huge disappointment....maybe due to lack of IQ but whatever it is, that is the fact. We are lucky if he is even a "very good" middle six guy now. Forget about top line. Even BT believes that now. That's why he has been busy this summer upgrading the top 6.

Couldn’t agree more, Debrusk+ is a ridiculous ask.

That being said Bennett’s availability is starting to become a dead horse. His potential is enough to make Calgary not want to move him for scraps but his performance makes other teams not want to pay more than scraps. There’s no point to this discussion. He’s young and cost controlled he can stay on the third line for now

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Thing is RE: Trading Bennett
The only thing we move him for is an upgrade somewhere. Same thing for Jankowski. You don't move these guys because you can, or you want to recuperate draft picks or something... you'd move them to make an upgrade somewhere on your roster.

Moving Sam for a B prospect and a second does nothing for Calgary.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Thing is RE: Trading Bennett
The only thing we move him for is an upgrade somewhere. Same thing for Jankowski. You don't move these guys because you can, or you want to recuperate draft picks or something... you'd move them to make an upgrade somewhere on your roster.

Moving Sam for a B prospect and a second does nothing for Calgary.

I think just couple of weeks ago we had to say this same thing over and over again in main boards. Thank god no more Bennett proposals for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad