Line Combos: 2018/19 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'm very pro to the idea of stacking down the middle. However, I don't like the idea of playing so many guys on their off wing.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik/Ryan
Bennett - Lindholm - Ryan/Frolik
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Czarnik/Brouwer

This makes the 2nd and 3rd lines pretty interchangeable in terms of ice time and deployment. Frolik or Ryan in the top 6 isn't sexy, but it is practical and improves our depth IMO.

This is better imo:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk

That is a true top six with room to grow. Also gives Bennett a real top 6 chance.

Frolik-Backlund-Ryan

shutdown line

(kid)-Janko-Brouwer/Czarnik

easy minutes, allows janko to continue to develop as a center.

What we likely see:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Bennett-Janko-Frolik
(kid)-Ryan-Brouwer/Czarnik

Which is fine, I would just rather play Lindholm to his strengths.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I like this post from CP member Enoch Root.

“With the depth, and with the almost total lack of grinders, my thoughts are to abandon the idea of lines 1 through 4 (which I was never big on anyway), and go with 2 scoring lines and 2 two-way lines:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal (scoring A)
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm (Two-way A)
Bennett - Jankowski - Czarnik (scoring B)
Frolik - Ryan - Lazar (Two-way B)

Sub Mangiapane, Dube, Foo in as desired. Personally, I love the idea of Dube - Ryan - Frolik as a second two-way line.”

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

“With the depth, and with the almost total lack of grinders, my thoughts are to abandon the idea of lines 1 through 4 (which I was never big on anyway), and go with 2 scoring lines and 2 two-way lines:

Sub Mangiapane, Dube, Foo in as desired. Personally, I love the idea of Dube - Ryan - Frolik as a second two-way line.”

I also don't mind this, but Frolik on the 4th seems likea waste. Unless that 4th line is playing more minutes than your league average

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I still believe

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Neal - Jankowski - Lindholm
Bennett - Backlund - Ryan
Hathaway - Shore - Czarnik
Brouwer

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson
Prout

Smith
Rittich

Frolik, Lazar and Stone traded for stuff

Swap Hathaway for Frolik, and I love this.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Peters rolls his lines as much as any coach in the game

I don't know why I keep misreading this post as, "Peters rolls his eyes as much as any coach in the game."

First and second line, then two third lines? I like the concept. However, I'm also curious how the Peters blender will work.

That being said, I look forward to seeing how offense is created from Peters clogging the neutral zone faster than a burger clogs an artery. Flip the puck at the goalie to force a cover then utilize face off weapons?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know why I keep misreading this post as, "Peters rolls his eyes as much as any coach in the game."

First and second line, then two third lines? I like the concept. However, I'm also curious how the Peters blender will work.

That being said, I look forward to seeing how offense is created from Peters clogging the neutral zone faster than a burger clogs an artery. Flip the puck at the goalie to force a cover then utilize face off weapons?
I have my lines as:

Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Jankowski - Czarnik
Frolik - Ryan - Brouwer

When the blender happens I see a switch to

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal
Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik
Brouwer - Ryan - Czarnik

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Czarnik
Lazar/Brouwer - Jankowski - Ryan

I'm not the biggest Bennett fan, but if he's going to succeed, it will be with the Backlund and Frolik combo, those two are so good together in the two way play it will shelter Bennett to a point, let him try to drive some offense on the line with players who can cover for him.

Tkachuk gets the chance to potentially carry his own line, and it gives Lindholm one excellent, proven winger. Tkachuk's more hard nosed play is a good contrast to Lindholm. Czarnik on that line because it puts him with two good players, let him try to use his speed and skill, see what he can do.

Jankowski and Ryan will hopefully work well together, can alternate faceoffs depending which side they're on. If it's Brouwer with them, his job is to park in front of the net and try to bang in garbage rebounds and screen the goalie. Could also plug in a Mangiapane here if he makes the team, because even if it's the 4th line, it will get decent time due to Jankowski and Ryan.

Might not be perfect, but this is what I'd try. Other than the top line, more based on pairs, Backlund/Frolik, Tkachuk's/Lindholm, Ryan/Jankowski, moving the others around to where they may fit best

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Random outsider question. Was Backlund used in more of shutdown role than usually last year?

I know many people find plus/minus irrelevant but his +/- went down to -21 from +9 the prior season. Pretty drastic swing.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Random outsider question. Was Backlund used in more of shutdown role than usually last year?

I know many people find plus/minus irrelevant but his +/- went down to -21 from +9 the prior season. Pretty drastic swing.
Not really an indication of anything other than the Flames' anemic offense.

Flames lost like 10 games in March; a month where the team scored like 3 goals in those losses. Backlund was -10 in March.

Reactions: Flukeshot

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

No, same role.
He and Frolik just shot the puck at career lows. It makes a big difference. Between the two Backs shot about 5% under his career average, and Frolik 2%. That makes up about 14-15 goals, with the majority coming from 5v5.

Flames also just couldn't score to save their lives this past season.

Reactions: Flukeshot

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Many around here still see Backs as a strong #2 Center -- I think Backs is at best a third line Center and the numbers just reflect his natural skill level. I see Janko supplanting Backs on the second line.
Backlund has a career shooting percentage of 8.9% making his best two years 2.3% and 4.6% above the average. Even if he returns to his average you could only expect at best a 50 point season out of Backs.

No, same role.
He and Frolik just shot the puck at career lows. It makes a big difference. Between the two Backs shot about 5% under his career average, and Frolik 2%. That makes up about 14-15 goals, with the majority coming from 5v5.

Flames also just couldn't score to save their lives this past season.

Backs was only 2.4 under his average and Frolik was 1.8% considering they were playing with Chucky that is a horrid downswing. Matthew was a way better player last season and Backs and Frolik were much worse meaning it is more likely those two just came back to earth from their career highs. THough not horrible Backs may not be worth the contract he signed despite what some here say.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm looking at lines a bit differently tonight... maybe we see something a lot different? IIRC Peters only mentioned keeping Gaudreau/Monahan together

So maybe we could see a major mash-up of the other 3 lines that focuses on distributing the talent more.

13 - 23 - 18
93 - 28 - 19
67 - 11 - 10
36 - 77 - 27

Each of the bottom 3 lines would have both a LH and RH centerman, which I know Peters would love.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I'm looking at lines a bit differently tonight... maybe we see something a lot different? IIRC Peters only mentioned keeping Gaudreau/Monahan together

So maybe we could see a major mash-up of the other 3 lines that focuses on distributing the talent more.

13 - 23 - 18
93 - 28 - 19
67 - 11 - 10
36 - 77 - 27

Each of the bottom 3 lines would have both a LH and RH centerman, which I know Peters would love.

This is pretty much exactly the lineup I have in mind. The second line has potential to be so nasty.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Seen quite a few lineups have Neal apart from Gaudreau and Monahan. Really don't think you pay the money to acquire a goal scorer like him to play him away from your 60 assist star player. He's also quite physical and very good along the boards, protects the puck and makes plays better than Ferland. Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal is a lock for me, it's the rest of the forwards I'm a little unsure how they fit together.

Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Jankowski - Ryan(takes FOs on his side)
Frolik - Czarnik - Foo/Dube/Mangiapane/Gawdin(will we leave 1 spot open?!)
Brouwer/Lazar

If that bottom 6 can consistently be better than whoever they are matched up against and Tkachuk and Lindholm show some progression then I think this has all the makings of a top 10 offense.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I can't see Frolik playing on the 4th line either.
I don't think we will have a 4th line. I think Peters will look at it as having 2 third lines.

I think we will see:

13 - 23 - 18
19 - 11 - 28
93 - 77 - 27
67 - 10 - 36

the 3rd line will be whichever is having a better game between the bottom two lines.

Reactions: Las Llamas

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
How about the breakfast power play line?

Backlund - Lindholm - Tkachuk
(BLT)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How about the breakfast power play line?

Backlund - Lindholm - Tkachuk
(BLT)
I think our top PP unit will be Gaudreau, Monahan, Neal, Lindholm & Giordano

with the second unit being Tkachuk, Backlund, Czarnik, Hanifin and Brodie (Bennett could replace Brodie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad