Line Combos: 2018/19 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't think we will have a 4th line. I think Peters will look at it as having 2 third lines.

I think we will see:

13 - 23 - 18
19 - 11 - 28
93 - 77 - 27
67 - 10 - 36

the 3rd line will be whichever is having a better game between the bottom two lines.

I like these lines, or just Neal switching with Lindholm to get Monahan as the primary goal scorer on the 1st line and Neal as the primary goal scorer on the second line. A line of Tkachuk - Backlund - Neal would get under the skin of so many teams. I'm sure we'll be getting a good look at Lindholm and Neal switching off between the two top RW spots.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Seen quite a few lineups have Neal apart from Gaudreau and Monahan. Really don't think you pay the money to acquire a goal scorer like him to play him away from your 60 assist star player. He's also quite physical and very good along the boards, protects the puck and makes plays better than Ferland. Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal is a lock for me, it's the rest of the forwards I'm a little unsure how they fit together.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lindholm
Bennett - Jankowski - Ryan(takes FOs on his side)
Frolik - Czarnik - Foo/Dube/Mangiapane/Gawdin(will we leave 1 spot open?!)
Brouwer/Lazar

If that bottom 6 can consistently be better than whoever they are matched up against and Tkachuk and Lindholm show some progression then I think this has all the makings of a top 10 offense.
You make a good point here. Neal on the top line should be a similar fit to Ferland when Ferland is actually on, except Neal should be more consistent. And when Ferland was on, that line was one of the best in the league. So you put Neal there and you expect that premiere top line every single game.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Neal on the top line should be worth 25-35 goals a season. This’ll be the first time in a long time he plays with an elite offensive player if they slot him Gaudreau.

I’m also fine with Lindholm up there. That guy thinks the game at a really high level. This is a nice problem to have all things considered; which real top 6 winger should play with the top line? Versus which bottom 6 experiment should we try this year?

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I absolutely think you have to go 13-23-18. Neal is the ideal line mate for those two. He's a sniper, but can do the heavy lifting for that line as well. Imagine Gaudreau with two premier snipers!! It's pretty damn exciting.

I also think Lindholm would be best used at C, but given our need at RW, I imagine our season will start like this:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Bennett-Janko-Frolik
XXX-Ryan-Brouwer/Cznarik

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
You make a good point here. Neal on the top line should be a similar fit to Ferland when Ferland is actually on, except Neal should be more consistent. And when Ferland was on, that line was one of the best in the league. So you put Neal there and you expect that premiere top line every single game.

Yeah for me it's about maximizing production. Could you get 25 goals out of Neal on the second line? Probably. But he's proven he can be a very good compliment to elite talent as he thinks the game at high level. I think that line could put up some really good numbers and that the aspects of his game he excels at are the missing link up there.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think we will see both of Neal and Lindholm on the top line. I think when we struggle to score goals Peters will swap the two

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Gaudreau-Monahan-Czarnik
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Frolik-Ryan-Brouwer

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Stone

Smith
Rittich

Ty Dolla

Jan 1, 2018
Give me a Chucky - Bennett - Neal line combo and do whatever else you want. I just want to see all hell break loose

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Pretty much guaranteed to start the year with this top 6:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal: Extremly obvious choice for our top RW slot. Neal is a true sniper with a bit of edge to his game. He's solid along the boards and will create more room for JG to operate.
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm: Lindholm is the only RHS our top 6 will have and he'll be given every opportunity to live up to his new contract.

The bottom 6 likely has Bennett penciled into the 3rd line LW spot, outside of that, I'm not sure what to expect.

Ty Dolla

Jan 1, 2018
I think giving Bennett another chance with players like Chucky and Neal could change that. Only Crosby can make Hathaway a decent winger. I bet if you put Monahan with Hathaway and Janko he'd struggle too. And can't forget Brouwer :ha:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Give me a Chucky - Bennett - Neal line combo and do whatever else you want. I just want to see all hell break loose

Would love to see, if only for the LoLs.
Lots to love about that trio though, speed, piss, vinegar, skill... yeah.

Reactions: Ty Dolla

Ty Dolla

Jan 1, 2018
They'd be entertaining for sure, but unfortunately Bennett takes significantly more penalties when he's at C
Yeah I get that but at some point we need to give our highest ever draft pick the best opportunity to succeed and break out with the potential we saw as an 18 year old rookie under Hartley. I think having Chucky as the stick handler, Bennett with the speed and Neal as the finisher would be a perfect combo. Plus all the extra curricular activities that they'd all be inclined to join

Ty Dolla

Jan 1, 2018
Then you have
Johnny - Mony - Lindholm
Chucky - Bennett - Neal
Janko - Backs - Frolik
Any combo of Brouwer/Ryan/Czarnik

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah I get that but at some point we need to give our highest ever draft pick the best opportunity to succeed and break out with the potential we saw as an 18 year old rookie under Hartley. I think having Chucky as the stick handler, Bennett with the speed and Neal as the finisher would be a perfect combo. Plus all the extra curricular activities that they'd all be inclined to join
No. You don't gift someone that kind of spot just because they were drafted high, especially when they can't handle 3c duties. Once a player is drafted their draft position means very little.

Jankowski has already proved himself to be a better NHL center than. Bennett.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Bennett's hockey IQ at this juncture of his career is below that of every other center Calgary has in the line-up. Bennett has some amazing physical skills but he has HUGE issues developing his game to the NHL level. Bennett really needs to get some confidence and swagger back in his game and that will not be done at C. IMO Sam needs to be on the left side of Backs and Frolik where he had the best success so far. Sam needs the guidance of the veterans to fill out his game.

No. You don't gift someone that kind of spot just because they were drafted high, especially when they can't handle 3c duties. Once a player is drafted their draft position means very little.

Jankowski has already proved himself to be a better NHL center than. Bennett.

To add to this thought if the Flames kept trying to keep Bennett at center they would be in jeopardy of turning Bennett into Daigle 2.0. Because Sam was drafted #4 does not mean he is automatically deemed a "star". Sam is struggling to succeed in the NHL. Right now he isn't in the top 6 and some could argue he may not even be in the top 9 on the team as it stands today.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I don't think it has anything to do with where he's been drafted anymore. It's the fact that we have all seen the skill and have seen what he's capable of in the NHL. We know his potential so we have to do whatever it takes to help him get there because his potential has always been (and continues to be) higher than most of our players.

Slotting him in the top 6 just might get him the confidence he needs to realize that potential, it has nothing to do with his draft position, and the reward is higher than the risk that he can't figure it out.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I don't think it has anything to do with where he's been drafted anymore. It's the fact that we have all seen the skill and have seen what he's capable of in the NHL. We know his potential so we have to do whatever it takes to help him get there because his potential has always been (and continues to be) higher than most of our players.

Slotting him in the top 6 just might get him the confidence he needs to realize that potential, it has nothing to do with his draft position, and the reward is higher than the risk that he can't figure it out.

Gully and Tre spoon fed Sam playing him with Gaudreau when Mony went down. Earlier in the season Bennett was played with Gaudreau for several periods and he never produced. Bennett was given first PP action and the whole nine yards and he has NEVER produced. When Jankowski was given 1 game he and Johnny clicked. Nobody on the Flames has been given more opportunities than Sam.

It is time he earned every minute. Unlike Johnny or Chucky I don't believe Sam has been given the press box treatment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyrano

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Gully and Tre spoon fed Sam playing him with Gaudreau when Mony went down. Earlier in the season Bennett was played with Gaudreau for several periods and he never produced. Bennett was given first PP action and the whole nine yards and he has NEVER produced. When Jankowski was given 1 game he and Johnny clicked. Nobody on the Flames have been given more opportunities than Sam.

It is time he earned every minute. Unlike Johnny or Chucky I don't believe Sam has been given the press box treatment.
He has been a healthy scratch, last year I believe, but not for a couple games like Johnny had. I agree that it would be beneficial for him, but he's such a fragile personality that maybe it's been coaching/leadership that hasn't gotten through to him. I think Peters will be his last chance. I still have faith he can figure it out.

Ty Dolla

Jan 1, 2018
1 game sample
Gully and Tre spoon fed Sam playing him with Gaudreau when Mony went down. Earlier in the season Bennett was played with Gaudreau for several periods and he never produced. Bennett was given first PP action and the whole nine yards and he has NEVER produced. When Jankowski was given 1 game he and Johnny clicked. Nobody on the Flames has been given more opportunities than Sam.
I wouldn't put too much stock into 1 game sample size. Also Jankowski is 2 years older than Sam and the team was a lot more patient with his development. Do I think Sam could have used some AHL time? Sure but hindsight is 20/20. It was hard to send him back after his first playoffs and rookie season. I think Sam can still be a the top 6 centre we need we just need to be patient

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
1 game sample

I wouldn't put too much stock into 1 game sample size. Also Jankowski is 2 years older than Sam and the team was a lot more patient with his development. Do I think Sam could have used some AHL time? Sure but hindsight is 20/20. It was hard to send him back after his first playoffs and rookie season. I think Sam can still be a the top 6 centre we need we just need to be patient

The only opportunity Mark had and he made the most of it. Sam has never come close to what Mark did last season at center. Defensively he is weaker and offensively he is weaker. Lindholm is at minimum as good as Backs and Ryan is as strong defensively as Jankowski and put up 38 points last year. Ryan did that with less talent on his wings than Sam has ever had.

So what fictional slot does Sam deserve? Yes he is young but his place for now is on the wing until he can prove he deserves another opportunity.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Found this one on CP. Actually like this one a lot (though Neal on the top line is still kinda eh for me)

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Bennett-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Ryan
Frolik-Jankowski-Czarnik

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kulak-Andersson
Stone

Smith
Gillies

Gives Lindholm a chance at center, Bennett gets to play in the top 6, and 3/4 lines has a left shot center and a right shot center. Our center depth is also stacked, and the wings still look good. Could swap Tkachuk and Bennett if you want.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

This is such horse shit. Bennett has never had 1st PP time, until late in the year when Monahan went down and he looked good there. He played what 2-3 games with Johnny late in the year in a bunch of meaningless games, Monahan only missed 8 games and a lot of those Gaudreau did too cause of his dad. The games that Bennett, Mony and Johnny actually played as a line together (a whole 2 games because of dumb Chris Stewart) he produced 3 points his first game and 0 his 2nd even though they looked good the 2nd game.

But you know, shit on Bennett for fallacies rather than actual truth. If you're going to argue he didn't earn his ice-time that's fair, but don't spout this rhetoric of him being spoon fed opportunities he was never given.

Oh noe, he didn't have instant chemistry in a whopping 2 periods of hockey in an 82 game season, better call him a bust, better split them up right away. Gulutzan was a horrendously dumb coach. Guy wouldn't split up the powerplay for 20 months even though it was absolute dog shit, yet would split up Gaudreau-Mony-Bennett after 2 games (where they were good and produced) so they can put Chris f***ing Stewart on the first line. Like holy f*** you're a complete moron. I don't even know how to comprehend such levels of stupidity.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
This is such horse ****. Bennett has never had 1st PP time, until late in the year when Monahan went down and he looked good there. He played what 2-3 games with Johnny late in the year in a bunch of meaningless games, Monahan only missed 8 games and a lot of those Gaudreau did too cause of his dad. The games that Bennett, Mony and Johnny actually played as a line together (a whole 2 games because of dumb Chris Stewart) he produced 3 points his first game and 0 his 2nd even though they looked good the 2nd game.

But you know, **** on Bennett for fallacies rather than actual truth. If you're going to argue he didn't earn his ice-time that's fair, but don't spout this rhetoric of him being spoon fed opportunities he was never given.

Oh noe, he didn't have instant chemistry in a whopping 2 periods of hockey in an 82 game season, better call him a bust, better split them up right away. Gulutzan was a horrendously dumb coach. Guy wouldn't split up the powerplay for 20 months even though it was absolute dog ****, yet would split up Gaudreau-Mony-Bennett after 2 games (where they were good and produced) so they can put Chris ****ing Stewart on the first line. Like holy **** you're a complete moron. I don't even know how to comprehend such levels of stupidity.

That is what I would call a revisionists version of history. Bennett started the season at center and after a lackluster start there were 3 games where he played the game with Johnny.

Oilers- Gaudreau Bennett Lazar
Jets- Gaudreau Bennett Lazar
Ducks-Gaudreau Bennett Lazar
Wild - Gaudreau Bennett Lazar

Total Points ZERO

Johnny had a career year but sucked with Sam?

Then there were about 6 games where Bennett was on a line with Jagr and Versteeg and nothing. Jagr found chemistry with every other center but your right no opportunities there.

After Versteeg was injured and before Chucky he was put on the first PP. Ferland and Bennett were give long looks on the PP. Almost all of Bennett's PP time came in the first half of the season.

Bennett then had 3 games with Johnny at center and many with Johnny and Mony. Bennett had 2 points in 1 game. 2 TWO TO TOO points in all his time with Gaudreau and Monahan.

I may be a moron but at least I am an informed moron.

Sam Bennett is NOT a center and likely is properly placed on the third line LW on the depth chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad