Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Stone
Andersson.

Prout will be waived when they pluck somebody off waiver or waived to AHL regardless.

I do not see BT let Stone go anytime soon.
Unlikely Andersson will be the #7 IMO, probably it will be Prout in that role and Andersson playing big minutes. Although I think prout will be waived if we can get someone better off waivers

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think Valimaki and Andersson could rotate in and out of the pressbox for the first few games of the season.

A: It gives the coaches and Treliving an idea of who would have better chemistry with Stone and whether handedness is really going to be a factor
B: There's no harm in training with the team and not getting in games provided it's only for a short period of time. It'll probably give both prospects a clearer view of the team's expectations regarding making the team full-time rather than waiting on a call-up in Stockton.

One of them will eventually be sent down and a forward will move up

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Unlikely Andersson will be the #7 IMO, probably it will be Prout in that role and Andersson playing big minutes. Although I think prout will be waived if we can get someone better off waivers

Peters has been known to give young dmen chances....who knows maybe Stone in the press box

If Valamaki and Andersson show they can handle the NHL. They'll be in the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Peters has been known to give young dmen chances....who knows maybe Stone in the press box

If Valamaki and Andersson show they can handle the NHL. They'll be in the NHL.
As it stands Prout looks to be on the team as Kulak was waived and he wasn't. Same with Stone for lose doubting he would. Treliving has said we won't give with 8 defensemen. That Leave the final of the 3 spots between the two youngsters, since its unlikely all 3 will be RH, that leaves Andersson as the odd man out.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm pretty sure Prout will be the 7th d-man and spend much of his time in the press box. I have to assume that Gio, Brodie, Hanifin, Hamonic, and Stone are locks to be on the Roster on Oct 4.

Possible defense combinations are:

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Stone - Andersson
Prout

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Stone

If the Flames keep Valimaki up and send down Andersson everyone plays on their accustomed side. However, Andersson deserves to stay up too but since he normally plays the right side there's conflict with Stone who also plays there. In the preseason we didn't see Stone play the left side even once and I doubt they would play an inexperienced Andersson there.

IMO, and a few others opinion too, the easiest thing would be to start the season with 8 d-men and keep both Andersson and Valimaki up (right now they both deserve it) and rotate them in and out of the lineup to start the season (say the first 10 games) to get a better read on both players. However, I've been informed by others that this definitely will not happen (although others have been wrong before).... so we'll see.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I’d prefer it if Valimaki went down over Rasmus or Prout, because first he needs a year playing top minutes in the AHL. And second having a Andy - Stone Pairing balances out our shots on defence.
So if left handed LD Valimaki goes down and Andersson stays up, both Andersson and Stone are right handed shots. Are you saying that Stone will move over to LD?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’d prefer it if Valimaki went down over Rasmus or Prout, because first he needs a year playing top minutes in the AHL. And second having a Andy - Stone Pairing balances out our shots on defence.

It’s highly unlikely IMO. Prout also shoots right. We also just waived Kulak so that tells me pretty clearly that Valimaki is going to be on this team.

The thing is while a lot here think Andersson and even Stone are better playing on the bottom pairing while Juuso develops in the AHL, we have to keep in mind our coach. I think Peters sees Valimaki as one of the 3 best defenders on the team that can get the puck up the ice. That means that the Flames are in their own zone less and not holding onto to the puck for long in the neutral zone, that’s exactly how he wants to play. I think Valimaki is going to play all season on the big club and Peters is going to manage him like he did with Hanifin back in Carolina.

I think Andersson is going to eventually beat out Stone like Kulak did to Bart last year, and Prout will get waived at some point.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It’s highly unlikely IMO. Prout also shoots right. We also just waived Kulak so that tells me pretty clearly that Valimaki is going to be on this team.

The thing is while a lot here think Andersson and even Stone are better playing on the bottom pairing while Juuso develops in the AHL, we have to keep in mind our coach. I think Peters sees Valimaki as one of the 3 best defenders on the team that can get the puck up the ice. That means that the Flames are in their own zone less and not holding onto to the puck for long in the neutral zone, that’s exactly how he wants to play. I think Valimaki is going to play all season on the big club and Peters is going to manage him like he did with Hanifin back in Carolina.

I think Andersson is going to eventually beat out Stone like Kulak did to Bart last year, and Prout will get waived at some point.
So if Andersson is going to eventually beat out Stone that makes the assumption that both players will be playing for the Flames. You also think that Valimaki will be on the roster. That makes for 8 defensemen on the roster: Gio, Brodie, Hanifin, Hamonic, Stone, Andersson, Valimaki, and Prout.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That would be the idea, in a perfect world then Stone is traded and Valimaki and Andy are our bottom pair.
I agree but I find it a bit odd that Stone didn't play on the LD at all this preseason. Surely if the team was going to do what you propose they would have had Stone there for at least a couple of games with Anderson on his right side.

Reactions: Potty John

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
He’s progressing but we have Gio, Hanifin as the top 2 lhd then he’s fighting with Kulak, Valimaki for the last spot. Looks like right now Valimaki has the inside track to start there and Kulak would have to go through waivers.

Personally think Kylington has a ton of potential, anyone that skates like he does has a shot. His problem is that he tends to make a pretty diasterous mental mistake a couple times a game that wipes out the good he’s done.

Kylington was cut last week

Alright thanks. I actually have Valimaki too so keeping an eye on both of them.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So if Andersson is going to eventually beat out Stone that makes the assumption that both players will be playing for the Flames. You also think that Valimaki will be on the roster. That makes for 8 defensemen on the roster: Gio, Brodie, Hanifin, Hamonic, Stone, Andersson, Valimaki, and Prout.

Prout to me, at this point is insurance. If Andersson takes Stones spot, Prout will likely be waived and we will keep Stone because he’s better and can play decent minutes when injuries occur.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Prout to me, at this point is insurance. If Andersson takes Stones spot, Prout will likely be waived and we will keep Stone because he’s better and can play decent minutes when injuries occur.
So do you see Stone and Andersson rotating in and out of the lineup or do you see Stone mostly sitting in the press box?
If Anderson is sitting in the press box that's not good for his development. If Stone is primarily in the press box that doesn't, IMO, help with his tradeability. … and he will eventually have to be traded to make room on the d core for others.... he's a decent asset so no sense in degrading his value.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So do you see Stone and Andersson rotating in and out of the lineup or do you see Stone mostly sitting in the press box?
If Anderson is sitting in the press box that's not good for his development. If Stone is primarily in the press box that doesn't, IMO, help with his tradeability. … and he will eventually have to be traded to make room on the d core for others.... he's a decent asset so no sense in degrading his value.

I think the priority will be to do whatever is best for Andersson’s development and that won’t be sitting for extended periods of time. I think if Andersson is ready then he’s going to play. If he’s not, he will be sent down.

Reactions: SKRusty

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think the priority will be to do whatever is best for Andersson’s development and that won’t be sitting for extended periods of time. I think if Andersson is ready then he’s going to play. If he’s not, he will be sent down.

Prout needs to be waived, because only him and Stone are worthwhile being sat. Calgary, can under no conditions have either Rasmus or Juuso sit. If these kids are in the NHL, you’re committing to 70 games each.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Valimaki will be in the AHL this year, Stone will play his off side, still giving him better chance at success than playing with Kulak. He will be moved at the first opportunity

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Valimaki will be in the AHL this year, Stone will play his off side, still giving him better chance at success than playing with Kulak. He will be moved at the first opportunity
I too think that Stone will be moved this season, if..... Valimaki dominates in the AHL. I think we could get a 2019 2nd round pick for Stone. I fully expect that by the end of the season, we'll see a Valimaki - Andersson pairing on defense.

But then there's this:

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If this is in fact true then either Andersson or Prout will be playing for the Heat at the start of the season..

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Provided there is no let down in his play Valimaki will spend the season with the Flames.

Reactions: Ippenator

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Prout needs to be waived, because only him and Stone are worthwhile being sat. Calgary, can under no conditions have either Rasmus or Juuso sit. If these kids are in the NHL, you’re committing to 70 games each.
70 games is a little extreme when that's more than the AHL team plays in a season. Since the Heat have 64 (iirc) game seasons, even as few as 55 games would be fine for them.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
70 games is a little extreme when that's more than the AHL team plays in a season. Since the Heat have 64 (iirc) game seasons, even as few as 55 games would be fine for them.
Valimaki played 76 games last season.
Dube played 72.

Hamonic played 74, Monahan 74, Chucky played 68.

Think the boys will be fine.

Reactions: Ippenator

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Valimaki played 76 games last season.
Dube played 72.

Hamonic played 74, Monahan 74, Chucky played 68.

Think the boys will be fine.
Clearly you missed my point, so much so you weren't even in the same universe.

Volica was saying that need to play 70 or it would hurt their development. I was saying, they don't because they won't even play that many games in a full season in Stockton and that at least 55 is will still be good for their development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad