Line Combos: 2018/19 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I hope they do get Frolik down a line or two, I love everything Frolik brings but everyone is right, the Flames need more offense from the Backlund line.

I also hope they start Valimaki-Andersson as the third pair and send Lazar down. Keep Stone around as a veteran incase either falter and Prout as the longer term PB guy. If Valimaki or Andersson falter early, send'em down and call up a forward. If they don't, then just cut Prout, he is pretty much a dime a dozen guy.

I suspect that one of Dube/Czarnik or hopefully even Bennett push him down the lineup. I can dream anyways.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Curtis Lazar is a good dude. Really never understood the people who disliked him.
He's not a great player, at this time, but his attitude and love for the game is infectious.
I don't think they dislike Curtis Lazar, the person, but the Lazar trade itself.

Curtis Lazar the person is awesome. I hope that he can find his scoring touch in Stockton because when he's out there currently for the Flames, he's not getting the job done

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Asimplehockeyfan

Sep 6, 2018
I think the whole right wing is going to be interchangeable for the season. Good to have neal with dube but I think at some point, Frolik will be on the 4th, and Czarnik on the 2nd

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't think they dislike Curtis Lazar, the person, but the Lazar trade itself.

Curtis Lazar the person is awesome. I hope that he can find his scoring touch in Stockton because when he's out there currently for the Flames, he's not getting the job done
I still have hope for Lazar. Hoping he's a late bloomer. Can you call someone who's only 23 years old a late bloomer? I think he has the talent he just needs to put it all together. Paul Byron ver. 2?

Reactions: Nanuuk

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I still have hope for Lazar. Hoping he's a late bloomer. Can you call someone who's only 23 years old a late bloomer? I think he has the talent he just needs to put it all together. Paul Byron ver. 2?

I agree hopefully he can work it out, but I do hope they send him down, he needs reps the most I think, I’d like to see him prove he’s a better AHLer than Hathaway.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
14. Mangiapane got sent down.

Edit: Well that's the assumption since he wasn't at practice this morning. Haven't seen anything otherwise.
I was just going to ask that question. I haven't seen anything specific to Mangiapane with regards to being sent down. I would think we would have by now if he had.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
So Bennett on the 4th line, has he been that bad in pre-season?...Haven't had a a lick of time to see anything this year :(

Peters is trying to keep him from earning a bigger contract by keeping him a 4th line LW + PK role even though it's pretty obvious he'd make at the very least our third line better as the 3C (and probably be an upgrade on Backlund on the Tkachuk line, at least offensively).

As for pre-season, he's been:

-Arguably our most dangerous player in his first game despite playing with Hathaway. Halak was too good though.

- One of our better players in his second game.

- Invisible against the Canucks. So were the other two guys on the line.

- A goal and Third Star against the Sharks along with absolutely destroying Evander Kane on a hit that drew a penalty. The Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik line absolutely dominated whenever they were on the ice.

- A goal in his final game and plenty of very nice plays. Called for a phantom penalty though which Bennett haters would find some reason to say was an actual penalty. Did have a bit of a mistimed dive on the penalty kill though, which resulted in a goal against he'd probably want back.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Peters is trying to keep him (Bennett) from earning a bigger contract by keeping him a 4th line LW + PK role even though it's pretty obvious he'd make at the very least our third line better as the 3C (and probably be an upgrade on Backlund on the Tkachuk line, at least offensively).

…. blah, blah... lots of praise for Bennett
... as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
facepalm.jpg

Reactions: snipetype

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Bennett is the 4th best LW in this organization. Until he proves otherwise the coach can’t be blamed for doing that.

If I’m James Neal and the coach says I am not playing with Tkachuk, Backlund, Gaudreau, Lindholm or Monahan, I’m saying give me that Dube kid. And that Derek Ryan. I’m not saying let me play with that Sam Bennett guy. No yet.

Reactions: SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Peters is trying to keep him from earning a bigger contract by keeping him a 4th line LW + PK role even though it's pretty obvious he'd make at the very least our third line better as the 3C (and probably be an upgrade on Backlund on the Tkachuk line, at least offensively).

As for pre-season, he's been:

-Arguably our most dangerous player in his first game despite playing with Hathaway. Halak was too good though.

- One of our better players in his second game.

- Invisible against the Canucks. So were the other two guys on the line.

- A goal and Third Star against the Sharks along with absolutely destroying Evander Kane on a hit that drew a penalty. The Bennett - Jankowski - Frolik line absolutely dominated whenever they were on the ice.

- A goal in his final game and plenty of very nice plays. Called for a phantom penalty though which Bennett haters would find some reason to say was an actual penalty. Did have a bit of a mistimed dive on the penalty kill though, which resulted in a goal against he'd probably want back.

Can you order me up some of those Rose tinted glasses? Was thinking about taking in a Habs Game.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Lazar was unfortunately rushed into the NHL before he was ready and should have been in the AHL for a solid amount of time before ever putting on a Senators jersey, nevermind a Flames one. I know he will make the best of his time in Stockton and I hope he has more room to grow, for his sake.

Stockton better have good burgers!

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have mentioned all off-season that I don't want to see Tkachuk used in a heavily defensive role again this year. With Backlund and Frolik on his line there is no other line to take those minutes.

Plus it would be nice to at some point get our 3rd best offensive player with some creative players. Backlund is fine but Frolik is not the guy that should be playing with him at all if we want to get his full offensive potential out.

It seems like another year of ok not great production out of him and another year of hoping the top line doesn't go cold because the other lines are not consistent enough to pick up the slack.

I also don't get the point of paying Neal all that money to waste him on the 2nd PP and with a rookie and dud like Ryan.

I really want to see this:

Bennett - Lindholm - Tkachuk

Then for our topline

Gaudreau - Monahan Neal

Mix and match the bottom anyway you want, ideally Dube with Backs and Fro.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Then for our topline

Gaudreau - Monahan Neal

Not a fan of Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal now that I've seen it. They can't seem to get much going on the forecheck, and then end up in their own zone chasing the play. I'd rather have Lindholm, Czarnik, or Tkachuk there on Gaudreau's opposite wing.

I'd stick to

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Bennett-Czarnik
Dube-Backlund-Neal
Frolik-Jankowski-Ryan

Boom

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Not a fan of Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal now that I've seen it. They can't seem to get much going on the forecheck, and then end up in their own zone chasing the play. I'd rather have Lindholm, Czarnik, or Tkachuk there on Gaudreau's opposite wing.

I'd stick to

Tkachuk-Bennett-Czarnik
Dube-Backlund-Neal
Frolik-Jankowski-Ryan

Boom

I don’t mind that either. I really want to see Tkachuk and Benny play together, I feel like they will feed off of each other and Chucky will bring out the best in Bennett. My thoughts were to add a defensive player and playmaker like Lindy. But we’re likely to see everything at some point this year.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Then for our topline

Gaudreau - Monahan Neal

I have no problem with a BLT but that is the sandwich. Bennett needs to produce before he is given any more opportunities. Incorrectly slotting him has got him into the mess he is in. I see no issue with growing his game in a very calculated manner to become the best Winger he can be.

Sam's feet seem to be planted on the ground this year. He is more humble and determined than he has been to this point. He is likely the most dangerous I have seen him since he played with Backs before his confidence was shattered.

If Sam is going to take a step it will be easier with less expectations on the forth line. Be happy with it and enjoy the games.

I'd stick to

Tkachuk-Bennett-Czarnik
Dube-Backlund-Neal
Frolik-Jankowski-Ryan

Boom

Put the rose tinted glassed down OKG we saw your commercial.

Treliving did not call up Janko last year, then trade for Lindholm, and then sign Ryan because he has faith in Sam. He brought them in because he and the staff knows Bennett will not be a capable center for a long long long time if ever. Nothing you say can justify him being played at center.

Your analysis of Sam's skills is wrong. Incorrect. Not Right, inaccurate, flawed, misguided, errant, delusional, or about 20 other adjectives.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

I'd stick to

Tkachuk-Bennett-Czarnik
Dube-Backlund-Neal
Frolik-Jankowski-Ryan

Boom

Bennett as 2nd line f***ing center lol.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Curtis Lazar is a good dude. Really never understood the people who disliked him.
He's not a great player, at this time, but his attitude and love for the game is infectious.
I've never seen anyone say anything negative about Lazar as a person. But that was a bad trade.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
All 4 lines look good to me. I'd flip Czarnik and Frolik but it's really nice to not have a line that you already know is going to be awful before the game even starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->