Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I'd like to see Alexander True honestly.... I feel like we're missing one more big time player to shore up either offensively or physically. I know Meier and Kane will answer the bell, but we're just lacking that big dude from the forwards. Or kyle wood if he plays up his game.

I do like that Sorenson plays big though. That's why I raised my eyebrow at the Dallas stars tonight, they really wanna ring the bell with us? We'll answer. We should lean towads a big bruiser that's offensively though, and not go the complete Roman Polak route, id consider that a lesson learned move.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
It looks as if Charlie Coyle is available.
I always wanted to see him in teal.
Does this sound like a good move we could make?

Possibly... BTW the wild's needs, according to their beat reporter:

The Wild, continuing a trend of Fenton’s predecessor, desperately need a right-shot winger who can score. But they could suddenly need a center, too.

The only movable pieces I could see would be Labanc and/or Donskoi, though they are probably looking for more scoring than that... If we could somehow pull off Labanc + a pick for Coyle, that would be great. Or maybe we could downgrade Braun?

Labanc + Braun <--> Coyle + Pateryn

Or maybe

Donskoi + pick <--> Coyle?

Last edited:

lucky0slevin

Aug 9, 2011
Possibly... BTW the wild's needs, according to their beat reporter:

The Wild, continuing a trend of Fenton’s predecessor, desperately need a right-shot winger who can score. But they could suddenly need a center, too.

The only movable pieces I could see would be LeBanc and/or Donskoi, though they are probably looking for more scoring than that... If we could somehow pull off LeBanc + a pick for Coyle, that would be great. Or maybe we could downgrade Braun?

LeBanc + Braun <--> Coyle + Pateryn

Or maybe

Donskoi + pick <--> Coyle?
Poor LaBanc. Keeps getting g his name misspelled

Reactions: fasterthanlight

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I had always wanted Coyle as a Shark, not sure if the cost would be worth it but that would be a crazy depth at center.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I'd like Coyle, he's the type of player we could use, I don't know if it would be worth the cost. But if PDB is the coach for the playoffs, I don't think he'll give Suomela a spot on game 1. PDB likes tough rugid guys, not fresh shaved without a stuble scared to drop the gloves. Maybe he'll pick up what Sorenson does, because that's what it takes to be a regular in the league, especially starting out.

Last edited:

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Are there any indicators to suggest that the current Shark's system is contributing to Vlasic's decline? Consider these facts:
  • we have 2 elite offensive defensemen playing on different D pairings, and one pairing without offensive talent
  • PDB has said more than once that he believe in "offense starting from the defense"
  • Our forwards are conditioned to look to the points while in the O-zone and to look for D joining the rush out of the D-zone
Is Vlasic just a casualty of the full team system that is in place, considering he has little offensive talent? Is he tiring himself out trying to join rushes from the back end so that he has limited energy to defend (hence why he looks lazy and uninspired)? Is he attempting to be the Burns/Karlsson of his pairing and leaving Braun out to dry?

I proffer this idea mainly because I can't wrap my head around an elite defensemen like Vlasic regressing this drastically so rapidly, especially without major injuries. There must be something to this

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Are there any indicators to suggest that the current Shark's system is contributing to Vlasic's decline? Consider these facts:
  • we have 2 elite offensive defensemen playing on different D pairings, and one pairing without offensive talent
  • PDB has said more than once that he believe in "offense starting from the defense"
  • Our forwards are conditioned to look to the points while in the O-zone and to look for D joining the rush out of the D-zone
Is Vlasic just a casualty of the full team system that is in place, considering he has little offensive talent? Is he tiring himself out trying to join rushes from the back end so that he has limited energy to defend (hence why he looks lazy and uninspired)? Is he attempting to be the Burns/Karlsson of his pairing and leaving Braun out to dry?

I proffer this idea mainly because I can't wrap my head around an elite defensemen like Vlasic regressing this drastically so rapidly, especially without major injuries. There must be something to this

Wins above replacement does begin to decline at the age of 27 for hockey players and sees a notable decline by the age of 31. As fans, we like to think that our players are only going to get better, so we tend to ignore this. Us Sharks fans in particular have had our views of reality skewed by guys like Pavelski and Burns having sick peaks around ages 29-32. (Hell, Burns may still be at his peak!) The reality is, those guys are special cases and Vlasic might not be the same.

In Vlasic’s case, I definitely think the coaching has really hurt him. I think his being stapled to Braun, his deployment with Braun, the system, the way that he has specifically been encouraged to drive the offense...it’s all just terrible for him.

But, I think that more than any of that stuff is, his individual decline is hurting him. It has been noted by posters like ON4 that plays that he used to make, odd-man rushes that he used to break up, etc. are plays that he is now regularly missing. Visually, he is clearly not the same guy.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Wins above replacement does begin to decline at the age of 27 for hockey players and sees a notable decline by the age of 31. As fans, we like to think that our players are only going to get better, so we tend to ignore this. Us Sharks fans in particular have had our views of reality skewed by guys like Pavelski and Burns having sick peaks around ages 29-32. (Hell, Burns may still be at his peak!) The reality is, those guys are special cases and Vlasic might not be the same.

In Vlasic’s case, I definitely think the coaching has really hurt him. I think his being stapled to Braun, his deployment with Braun, the system, the way that he has specifically been encouraged to drive the offense...it’s all just terrible for him.

But, I think that more than any of that stuff is, his individual decline is hurting him. It has been noted by posters like ON4 that plays that he used to make, odd-man rushes that he used to break up, etc. are plays that he is now regularly missing. Visually, he is clearly not the same guy.

Well I'm definitely not in the camp of "Vlasic is going to get better with age", but i'm certainly in the camp of "Vlasic's decline should be gradual, not steep". I expect Vlasic to be solid, not a liability, and i think he still has that capability, fully.

I guess, in summary, i refuse to believe that natural decline with age is the only factor in his dreadful season so far. Maybe i'm just overall sour on the system and trying to use it as a blanket blame for all of our player's poor performances.

His play may be the most frustrating thing about the season so far. I'm hungry for answers

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

May be something personal going on with him outside of hockey..? I don't buy that Vlassic is suddenly old enough to play this bad. No major injuries, always been a very good skater... It appears that his defensive effort and getting caught out of position are what is killing him. Two things that shouldn't be failing at 31. At least not this drastically.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiburon12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad