Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #4 - It’s Getting Better All The Time (maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Disagree. It says the GM believes in the guys in the room AND that reinforcements are coming from within (Dvorak etc). A bad message was what St Louis did last year, trading Stastny while they were still in a playoff spot.
Anyone who's ever laced 'me up knows this, the rest should have watched "Miracle on Ice'.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Put together a plan and then execute it.

Well, he is, but apparently that's not good enough for some.

I think people forget just how crap this team was before Chayka took over full control of the roster. Easy to do when a fan favorite like Domi (who asked for a trade and was sulking until he got it) gets traded, and when the team sends Strome out (because Tocchet wouldn't play him like he should have been played), but if you look over his whole body of work, Chayka's been a damned good asset manager.

I get that big picture thinking is tough to do when a GM doesn't do what you think he ought to, but Chayka has earned my benefit of the doubt. I have no problem with him sitting pat instead of sinking resources into a Quixotic quest to make it to a first-round blowout loss.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Rif.org

I would have sold, not bought. Not renting Brassard isn't really my gripe.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don’t care about sneaking in and getting spanked. But Chayka does. I’m criticizing his own execution of his own plan.
Exactly! We sat on our hands. That's worse than tilting at the playoff windmill.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don’t care about sneaking in and getting spanked. But Chayka does. I’m criticizing his own execution of his own plan.

I think his deadline actions (or lack thereof) dovetail pretty nicely with everything he's said about the roster and the upcoming draft as well as the contracts he's given out. He may be some sort of mecha in terms of his personality but he's been ultra-consistent in what he says about the plans he makes and what he does to execute those plans.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think his deadline actions (or lack thereof) dovetail pretty nicely with everything he's said about the roster and the upcoming draft as well as the contracts he's given out. He may be some sort of mecha in terms of his personality but he's been ultra-consistent in what he says about the plans he makes and what he does to execute those plans.
He said it was important for the team to make the playoffs. That it would be important for the group and ownership and the fan base. He didn’t pay molding prices for insurance depth. Now I’m order to accomplish what he feels is so important. we desperately need what he didn’t get us. He said it’s important to qualify for the post season. Then he didn’t act on that. That doesn’t square for me.

Reactions: _Del_

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
No. Jets kept in the press box most of the season because he was on a one way deal.

Right right. I'm thinking of Marko Dano. In any event, I think we need to add more for-sure skill in the summer. Petan seems like another dumpster dive type from the Maloney Era.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Exactly! We sat on our hands. That's worse than tilting at the playoff windmill.
I'm not going to look up who the most active GM has been the last few years, but Chayka has to be at the top of the list. He can't be accused of sitting on his hands and not all of his trades have worked out.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
He said it was important for the team to make the playoffs. That it would be important for the group and ownership and the fan base. He didn’t pay molding prices for insurance depth. Now I’m order to accomplish what he feels is so important. we desperately need what he didn’t get us. He said it’s important to qualify for the post season. Then he didn’t act on that. That doesn’t square for me.

Saying that it's important to make the playoffs doesn't automatically translate into making moves for the sake of making a move. He's said over and over since the deadline that he had multiple serious discussions on several assets - both giving and taking - and based on where those discussions were going it wasn't worth expending the assets to make the moves. As far as that backfiring on him because of Stepan's injury, none of us have a crystal ball. But think of how long some of the guys in the room took to buy into Tocchet's system - now imagine trying to plug a guy into that system with just over a month less in the regular season.

I shudder to think what the response would have been if Chayka had made moves that ended up blowing up in his face. Would you have given him the benefit of the doubt then? Said that at least he took a shot and it wasn't his fault that Brassard or whoever ended up not panning out? If you would have, then I have no problem with your position on things, even if I disagree with it.

And Perlini just scores his second of the afternoon.

Good for him. Must suck to spend all that time getting low minutes and getting scratched; nice to see him produce for a change.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
And Perlini just scores his second of the afternoon.

Can you imagine if Perlini pulls his head out of his ass? Even if he just regains form as a fast, big streaky 15g scorer from the bottom six...

Feck said:
I shudder to think what the response would have been if Chayka had made moves that ended up blowing up in his face.
Well the early returns on doing nothing to make the important playoffs looks an awful lot like its "blowing up in his face", sooo

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Now Murphy ties it up! :laugh:
All these guys are players, there's so much to be said for fit and chemistry. Paper teams don't necessarily make winners.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Well the early returns on doing nothing to make the important playoffs looks an awful lot like its "blowing up in his face", sooo

VERY early, considering that we have won every game since the deadline and we haven't played since Stepan's injury diagnosis. :sarcasm:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think he said it’s important to play important games late in the season. Essentially saying that they didn’t want to be out of it again by November.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018

3-0 since the deadline, what else do you want? The early returns unequivocally say that the current team is at the very least as good as, and maybe better than any team assembled through trades at the deadline.

rt

May 13, 2004
Saying that it's important to make the playoffs doesn't automatically translate into making moves for the sake of making a move. He's said over and over since the deadline that he had multiple serious discussions on several assets - both giving and taking - and based on where those discussions were going it wasn't worth expending the assets to make the moves. As far as that backfiring on him because of Stepan's injury, none of us have a crystal ball. But think of how long some of the guys in the room took to buy into Tocchet's system - now imagine trying to plug a guy into that system with just over a month less in the regular season.

I shudder to think what the response would have been if Chayka had made moves that ended up blowing up in his face. Would you have given him the benefit of the doubt then? Said that at least he took a shot and it wasn't his fault that Brassard or whoever ended up not panning out? If you would have, then I have no problem with your position on things, even if I disagree with it.

Good for him. Must suck to spend all that time getting low minutes and getting scratched; nice to see him produce for a change.
Did I say “make a move for the sake of making a move”? I meant that I would expect Chayka to improve the team by adding depth and insurance. He failed to do that. Now we have Fasching on the team.

I’ve already given Chayka the “well he took his shot” pass after he blew everything up and still ended up with the fifth overall pick in the draft. He’s already cashed that check from me.

Chayka should be able to be held accountable if he makes trades that don’t work out. Look at Strome and Domi. Early returns are not good. Could end up “meh” or could end up catastrophic, we’ll see. Nobody should be giving Chayka the benefit of the doubt at this point. He has absolutely not earned that.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Did I say “make a move for the sake of making a move”? I meant that I would expect Chayka to improve the team by adding depth and insurance. He failed to do that. Now we have Fasching on the team.

I’ve already given Chayka the “well he took his shot” pass after he blew everything up and still ended up with the fifth overall pick in the draft. He’s already cashed that check from me.

Chayka should be able to be held accountable if he makes trades that don’t work out. Look at Strome and Domi. Early returns are not good. Could end up “meh” or could end up catastrophic, we’ll see. Nobody should be giving Chayka the benefit of the doubt at this point. He has absolutely not earned that.
Early returns not good? We have already beaten last years win totals and should pass total points next week. We are on pace to blow away even the most optimistic total point projections with essentially half an AHL team. We've established an identity, a work ethic, and most importantly are still in a playoff race. Players we criticized Chayka for acquiring last year (Keumper, Richardson, Archibald, etc) have all exceeded expectations and played key roles at times this season. I get the Strome trade looks bad today and that tarnishes Chayka's grade but im not convinced that next year we won't be feeling the same. Overall I'm blown away on how things have gone this year. Chayka has assembled a team. A fairly exciting one at that.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Bad early returns? Schmaltz was our best player and outplaying Strome on the Hawks until he was hurt. Seems silly to blame the GM for a player getting injured.

As for Domi, I would have loved to keep him here. I think we all wanted him to stay, but if he didn't want to be here and was frustrated with the situation there is no reason to keep him here to continue his poor play and stupid penalties. Chucky started out the season pretty rough after missing so many games and having to rehab.

rt

May 13, 2004
Early returns not good? We have already beaten last years win totals and should pass total points next week. We are on pace to blow away even the most optimistic total point projections with essentially half an AHL team. We've established an identity, a work ethic, and most importantly are still in a playoff race. Players we criticized Chayka for acquiring last year (Keumper, Richardson, Archibald, etc) have all exceeded expectations and played key roles at times this season. I get the Strome trade looks bad today and that tarnishes Chayka's grade but im not convinced that next year we won't be feeling the same. Overall I'm blown away on how things have gone this year. Chayka has assembled a team. A fairly exciting one at that.
We’re not on pace to blow away expected point totals. We’re on pace for 4pts more than my pessimist predictions.

And I was talking specifically about trades, anyway. Specifically Domi and Strome.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Chayka should be able to be held accountable if he makes trades that don’t work out. Look at Strome and Domi.

Look at his whole body of work. The only trade he has clearly lost on has been the Strome trade, and that's only because A) Schmaltz got hurt and B) Tocchet forced his hand. The Domi trade has been a push, IMO, and the only reason more people don't see it that way is because Domi was a personality as much as a player.

I know I'm not going to change your mind. And I'll probably always be upset at Chayka for how he handled Doan and for trading Strome. But in both instances, I know why he did it, and if those two things didn't work out then his overall batting average is still really high, IMO.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't get the big wins on trades that move the needle in his favour.

Picked up Cousins, okay.
Got rid of Smith, good.
Hammer for Murphy, real good.
Stepan, Raanta for DeAngelo and 7ov, meh at very best.
Demers cheap, good.
Archibald for a fourth, fine.
Panik, Duclair, fine.
Kuemper, Rieder, meh value, but worked out well
Kruger, Martinook. Took a swing, but probably wants it back
Vinny, Oesterle (Hossa), good

I mean he scores okay on value, but most are adding bottom six players.

Hammer is probably the best asset he added via trade. Stepan second best, probably.

And on the flipside you have a couple stinkers, but that's bound to happen.... Except the part where you also gave up two young, cheap nearly ppg players playing a "premium" position .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad