Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
OEL for Draisaitl would be the all time worst trade for this team.
It's a lot easier finding a scoring forward then it is finding a D like OEL.
OEL is the scapegoat for a lot of clueless fans.
Oddly we have been years without that scoring forward?? And I wrote high end young center and I'm not sure now what Draisaitl is.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
The fact is we are in a business where you need to take advantage of your assets. OEL is almost 28 and it's unlikely we compete in his best years. I would not give him away but if there is a trade that doesn't hurt us now and makes us better long term I make it in a heartbeat

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Winning puts fannies in the seat. You can have all the flash and dash you want, but nothing matters if you don't win. Posters here were saying we played boring hockey under DT, and now under RT we have flash and dash with the same results on ice and little difference in attendance. You win, they will come. I believe every player on this team is available in a trade, but if there was one player who is almost untouchable it's OEL.

Well were not winning though, the names have changed but were no real threat. Yes lets keep OEL until he's worthless. Im sure most who wanted flash and dash thought there would be some grit and toughness mixed in. This team is as soft as hell just like the GM. Who puts a team together with a bunch of little guys and thinks they're going to stay healthy. You can trade all the guys you want but there is only maybe two or three guys that will get us something we need and the only one that makes sense is OEL.

Whatever, without a rich owner its more of the same here no matter what we do.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
What does this roster look like if we add Cozens? Is Cozens is a 60 point winger/center who can be elevated to a consistant 70 point center with wingers like Keller. How about Dach?

I really feel like we have 2nd - 3rd line depth. We are really missing one piece to let everything fall in place, 2 pieces to have injury insurance. In 2 years:
Keller-Dach-Schmaltz
Gally-Dvo-Garland
Hino-Hayton-Fischer
Crouse-Richardson-Grabner

Replace a Garland or Hino with someone like JVR (not saying JVR but a ufa with that kind of upside) and that roster looks as good as the Wilds forward group on paper. Now replace Cozens/Rach with a Kakko/Hughes and things look very promising. Just cant get my lotto hopes up....

My point is adding a top 7 pick this year could go a long way. The draft seems pretty deep, but ensuring a top pick would go a long way. Fire sale! Who wants Goligoski and Stepan?!

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I’m thinking that we will try for the cup finals in 4 years. In 4 years OEL will most likely not be the player he is now. I would happily trade OEL for both of Colorado’s #1 picks as both would be in their prime for the cup run.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I’m thinking that we will try for the cup finals in 4 years. In 4 years OEL will most likely not be the player he is now. I would happily trade OEL for both of Colorado’s #1 picks as both would be in their prime for the cup run.

Two unprotected 1st for OEL? Sign me up. This is a wasted year now and who knows if all of Rantaa, Schmaltz, Dvo and Grabner can come back to full health by the start of next season.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So, we trade our best player for a couple of first round picks who may never be close to a player of OEL caliber. Just because a player is projected to be a high draft pick doesn't mean squat.

Reactions: slv and hbk

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
So, we trade our best player for a couple of first round picks who may never be close to a player of OEL caliber. Just because a player is projected to be a high draft pick doesn't mean squat.

In theory, though, if they were lottery picks it'd be worth it. We have enough defensive depth in the system that we could survive trading him, and this year's draft is a good one for centers (of which we have next to nothing in terms of prospect depth - Hayton is basically it).

What we don't have is something to replace Oliver's paycheck to pad our position above the cap floor. We literally cannot afford to trade OEL for picks.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
The fact is we are in a business where you need to take advantage of your assets. OEL is almost 28 and it's unlikely we compete in his best years. I would not give him away but if there is a trade that doesn't hurt us now and makes us better long term I make it in a heartbeat

Need a Herschel Walker type trade. Who'd be gullible enough, besides us.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Players age very differently depending on how good they are, generally speaking anyway.
Players at OELs level do not typically have steep drop offs after age 30. In 4 years OEL would be 31.
33-34 is a bigger deal generally for top talent.

Middling 3rd line tweeners and bottom pairing D are the guys who end up out of the league by 32.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Their teams are performing better than Chayka’s.
Agreed. Jury is still out on chayka's performance but it is trending down. I believe he is the most active GM in terms of trades and player turnover in his short time as GM. He has had close to ZERO success and a few really questionable moves. Still one of the worst teams in the league. Little NHL calibre depth. Low talent level.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Agreed. Jury is still out on chayka's performance but it is trending down. I believe he is the most active GM in terms of trades and player turnover in his short time as GM. He has had close to ZERO success and a few really questionable moves. Still one of the worst teams in the league. Little NHL calibre depth. Low talent level.
Chayka has been a godsend. Take a look at the giant hot steaming pile of horse shit that was our roster when Chayka took over. There's no way to magically turn that garbage into a playoff contender in two years while having to navigate an expansion draft without winning the draft lottery multiple times.

He can't sign high end free agents because his owner has no money to spend, which we saw with JVR last summer. He can't trade 3rd liners, 4th liners, and AHLers for 1st line talent. He can't trade too many drafts picks because our prospect pool is utter garbage. Literally the only resource he has is cap space which he's used brilliantly. He's done as well or better than anybody could expect considering he's got both hands tied behind his back.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Chayka has been a godsend. Take a look at the giant hot steaming pile of horse **** that was our roster when Chayka took over. There's no way to magically turn that garbage into a playoff contender in two years while having to navigate an expansion draft without winning the draft lottery multiple times.

He can't sign high end free agents because his owner has no money to spend, which we saw with JVR last summer. He can't trade 3rd liners, 4th liners, and AHLers for 1st line talent. He can't trade too many drafts picks because our prospect pool is utter garbage. Literally the only resource he has is cap space which he's used brilliantly. He's done as well or better than anybody could expect considering he's got both hands tied behind his back.

The few free agents he has signed has been excellent.

Grabner was excellent.

And he signed Richardson too? That was him?

Well, that's about all of them. But excellent. For the money spent.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
The few free agents he has signed has been excellent.

Grabner was excellent.

And he signed Richardson too? That was him?

Well, that's about all of them. But excellent. For the money spent.
Yea standing by his offer to Richie when he went out looking for UFA money is a complete steal right now. Gogo's $5.5 AAV and Grabner's $3.35 AAV are the most money that he's ever spent on a free agent, every other free agent contract he's given out has been for $1.25 AAV or less. Mostly because the vast majority of free agents he signs fill out the roster in Tucson.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I agree...we'll get a better return on guys like Goligoski if we can trade with teams now that need Dmen as a result of injuries or upgrades.

Also, no reason why Panik wouldn't be moved to clear room for Merkley to come up and play in the top 6. Capobianco takes over for Goligoski.

I'm looking forward to seeing both of them and what they can do in the National

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I agree...we'll get a better return on guys like Goligoski if we can trade with teams now that need Dmen as a result of injuries or upgrades.

Also, no reason why Panik wouldn't be moved to clear room for Merkley to come up and play in the top 6. Capobianco takes over for Goligoski.

I'm looking forward to seeing both of them and what they can do in the National
Oesterle's a UFA after this season, he probably goes........as does Panik. Mid round picks?

Kuemper maybe if a team loses a goalie.

Doubt Goligoski goes given his contract term and AAV. Also, may not want to uproot his family by waiving his NMC.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Oesterle's a UFA after this season, he probably goes........as does Panik. Mid round picks?

Kuemper maybe if a team loses a goalie.

Doubt Goligoski goes given his contract term and AAV. Also, may not want to uproot his family by waiving his NMC.
I wonder if we could interest Gogo in heading back to Pittsburgh for another chance at a cup run? They have the train wreck that is Jack Johnson playing in their top 4 right now.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RemoAZ

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
and Pittsburgh traded away a 1st for Reeves, they would certainly part w/a 1st for Goligoski, especially since he is cost controlled for 2 more years.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Perhaps with some unusual higher(ish) profile players potentially available at the deadline, there might be an opportunity to capitalise on selling lesser rated, yet competent guys.

We have some. We need Chayka to be in a position to be decisive (clearer ownership situation) and I think he will work marvels (think Hanzal return).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad