Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think it's more likely Chayka and Tocc are trading for and adding waiver fodder to scratch out wins at the end of the season to save their jobs. There will be no thought of loading up on pics while improving our draft position.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Yes Capo is ready.

With OEL and Chychrun as pillars on the left side there will never be many minutes leftover for Capo or POJ. We could trade from the bottom of that list of four and get a decent return. I'd rather trade from the top of that list and get a killer return.

OEL to Colorado at trade deadline for Ottawa's unprotected 1st (2019)

We'd have two picks in the top ten, maybe both in the top five.

Use OEL'S cap to shop in the UFA market. Duchene, Stone, Panarin, Karlsson are targets if there's a new owner who wants to show off. Dzingel, Donskoi, Nyquist, Stralman are depth palyers that might have better value.

Roster next season:

Gally - Stepan - Fischer
Keller - Hughes - Schmaltz
Dzingel - Dvorak - Garland
Grabner - Richardson - Vinnistroza
Crouse - Merkley

Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
Gogo - Stralman
Capo - Demers
Lyubushkin

Raanta
Kuemper

Top prospects
Podkolzin
Hayton
Hill
POJ

tl;dr? Capo is ready. Make some room.
To all those that I offended by suggesting we trade OEL for Ottawa's 1st (a top 5 pick), would a similar trade be more palatable if we signed Karlsson?

Gogo - Karlsson
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
Capo - Demers
Lyubushkin

I don't dislike OEL. His contract extension is a good one. I do wonder if he's the leader this team needs though. He's probably the most skilled Coyote but he's not the hardest worker on or off the ice. We have a great pipeline of LD and the return on an OEL trade could finally set the franchise on course for contention.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
We literally can't trade OEL without young #1C coming back. Without Oliver, we don't have any top pairing defenceman or any top-4 dman who is below 30 years old

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We literally can't trade OEL without young #1C coming back. Without Oliver, we don't have any top pairing defenceman or any top-4 dman who is below 30 years old
A top 5 pick in this draft is a young 1C.

Chychrun is getting close to top pairing ability.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
To all those that I offended by suggesting we trade OEL for Ottawa's 1st (a top 5 pick), would a similar trade be more palatable if we signed Karlsson?

Gogo - Karlsson
Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
Capo - Demers
Lyubushkin

I don't dislike OEL. His contract extension is a good one. I do wonder if he's the leader this team needs though. He's probably the most skilled Coyote but he's not the hardest worker on or off the ice. We have a great pipeline of LD and the return on an OEL trade could finally set the franchise on course for contention.
I certainly take no offense, but the thought of trading our best player certainly makes me uncomfortable. :confused:

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I certainly take no offense, but the thought of trading our best player certainly makes me uncomfortable. :confused:

Agree, but should not be ruled out without considering the return. No player should be untouchable.

To clarify, I'm not pushing for a trade, just saying I would be open to the possibility depending on the return.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Trade Keller while he still has value.

How would that be, if he was traded before the All-Star game, would he be replaced? Or would there simply be no Coyote there? :naughty:

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Trade Keller while he still has value.

How would that be, if he was traded before the All-Star game, would he be replaced? Or would there simply be no Coyote there? :naughty:

What?? Why would we do that

Trading our 20 year old 65 point scorer would be even more stupid than trading OEL

Reactions: Jakey53

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
What?? Why would we do that

Trading our 20 year old 65 point scorer would be even more stupid than trading OEL

Would depend on the payment of course... If it was Ottawas first, it should be done. But don't know if the Avs would do that.

I don't want to trade OEL. Trading guys after giving them an NMC should IMHO be forbidden, even if that clause hasn't kicked in yet.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think we should generally try and keep the high level players who we seem to not run off and actually want to stay.
OEL doesn't have to be a top 10 D to be worth what we're paying him. The contracts handed out in the next couple years will make this abundantly clear.

Finding another #1 D will end up taking as long as finding a 1C still does with our luck.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Would depend on the payment of course... If it was Ottawas first, it should be done. But don't know if the Avs would do that.

I don't want to trade OEL. Trading guys after giving them an NMC should IMHO be forbidden, even if that clause hasn't kicked in yet.

But why? We finally get young player with high potential and you want to trade him away for picks? Gotta remember that Keller was our first 60 point scorer since WCF-year and he did it when he was teenager

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yes it does, but it literally makes ZERO sense to trade Keller for futures. Are we planning to rebuild forever
If Keller(winger) could get us a top 5 pick this year(center) I make that trade in one second flat. However I highly doubt any team with a pick in that range would be willing to make that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->