2018-19 Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I guess I'm in the minority here because I don't see the big deal about the sign.

9e8cbd532264528afca15d6f82009d54.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Given that half the team will be under 25 next year, it'll be very "college" like.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Given that half the team will be under 25 next year, it'll be very "college" like.
Except those “college” kids will be making millions. Big difference between unpaid amateurs and guys making the same if not more than the coach.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, and why you have to make it clear to check your egos at the door or expect a new address.

Teams that win tend to play intense, disciplined defense, not just the NHL, but the NFL and NBA.
It's because highly talented teams with prima donnas often won't pay the price to win in the big games, everyone wants to be the star on those teams, no one wants to do the dirty work.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Flyers are two points out of last in the conference and three teams below them have 2 or 3 games on them still.

Year 5 of Hextall. This team has not gotten better. Year 4 of Hakstol. Still the same shit game in and game out. If you think they don’t take the brunt of the blame for this mess that is iced every game, you’re just blind.

Flyers did what every team is moving away from now. Trying to “retool” while staying competitive. You end up with middle teen picks and missing elite talent through the pipeline. 5 years now. Just let that sink in. And I still see some suggest selling our pieces like Voracek/Giroux and others. Yup, let’s just delay the competitive spirit of this team even further. Great f***ing idea.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Flyers are two points out of last in the conference and three teamFlyers did what every team is moving away from now. Trying to “retool” while staying competitive. You end up with middle teen picks and missing elite talent through the pipeline.
I wouldn’t even go as far as saying you miss elite talent as you can get good players later. It’s you miss the NHL ready talent at the top of the draft. The prospects at the top are typical ready to play right away while the ones later need a little more development. Add to that a conservative approach to promoting prospects and its takes years for these guys to make the team and even more years to make an impact especially when the NHL coach isn’t interested in living through the growing pains but instead is desperate to sneak into the last playoff spot.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
5 years is an eternity in sports....yet here we are.

We are 9-9-1...on pace for 82 points. That would be our 2nd worst season in 25 years....behind only the dreaded 2007.

It's time for Hextall to actually work at making the Flyers on ice product better using the trade route instead of just sitting and hoping it happens. Oh, and cleaning house of the entire coaching staff would be a great starting point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This team always starts slow, and this year it won't require a red hot finish to make the playoffs, doubt anyone will have 100 points in the Metro, and only TB and Toronto in the Atlantic. I predict 92-94 points will get you into the playoffs in the East this year.

Problem is finding a goalie, they'll have to bring Lyon up but I doubt much will be available in trade, and St Louis should outbid us. I doubt Stolarz will be ready before the spring and Hart maybe by the playoffs, but probably not until next season.

Stats say Flyers are an above average ES team with bad goalies, a good PP that generates a lot of quality scoring chances but hasn't been able to finish (these things even out) and a terrible PK with bad goalies to boot.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Stats say Flyers are an above average ES team with bad goalies, a good PP that generates a lot of quality scoring chances but hasn't been able to finish (these things even out) and a terrible PK with bad goalies to boot.

Above average ES team? PP yes, but at ES they're painfully average. Did you factor Shot Quality into that at all?

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, they're above average, 11th in HDCF. And that's without JVR.
They should get better as Lindblom and Patrick mature.
And they're outscoring the opposition at ES as well, 49-42, despite goalies ranked 25th in the league.

The answer for this team is simple, find a goalie and fire Lappy.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flyers did what every team is moving away from now. Trying to “retool” while staying competitive. You end up with middle teen picks and missing elite talent through the pipeline. 5 years now. Just let that sink in. And I still see some suggest selling our pieces like Voracek/Giroux and others. Yup, let’s just delay the competitive spirit of this team even further. Great ****ing idea.

Uh, the Flyers got Sanheim, Provorov, Konency, Hart, Patrick and Frost.

Three of those six made the team as 19 year olds.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Uh, the Flyers got Sanheim, Provorov, Konency, Hart, Patrick and Frost.

Three of those six made the team as 19 year olds.
I won’t judge hart because goalies are almost impossible.

I wouldn’t call those players “elite”. Provorov is the closest. Patrick I believe in his prime will be around a 60 point player.

Honestly the best shot at elite talent would be Frost. If Frost can develop into a first line center when he matured into his body we could then start really putting pressure on the top teams. If hart or sandy hit as well.

Team has glaring holes but the largest is behind the bench.

We are heavily relying on our talent to hit. We have seen in the past teams that solely rely on that haven’t had the most success. They need to use assets to acquire already established talent. They have them. Just a matter of getting what is needed.

Reactions: tucson83

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We don't need elite, a lot of SC winners have won with a group of six or so forwards scoring between 40-50 ES points.
So if you have two top lines, neither has to be top 5, if both are top 20-30.
And we certainly have the talent to field 2, and probably 3 lines in the top 30 or so down the road.

As Nashville shows, you can win with 4 top defensemen, and we have a shot at that as well.

A team with 9 solid forwards and 4 solid defensemen doesn't need a superstar or even a Vezina caliber goalie, just a good enough goalie to keep them in games and allow their depth to wear down teams with 1 elite line but questionable depth.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We are heavily relying on our talent to hit. We have seen in the past teams that solely rely on that haven’t had the most success. They need to use assets to acquire already established talent. They have them. Just a matter of getting what is needed.

It has hit for the most part - look at next year's projected lineup:
Giroux - Couts - Voracek
Lindblom - Patrick - TK
JVR - Frost - ???
Weise/??? - Laughton/Rubtsov/Vorobyev - NAK [4th line bodies won't be an issue]

So unless Frost goes belly up, and you still have Vorobyev as a potential 3C, we have three solid lines.
If Hextall makes a deal it might be to get a fast young RW to pair with JVR and Frost if he thinks Allison/Laczynski aren't ready.
He could package one of them plus Vorobyev or Kase, etc.

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Gudas
Morin/Hagg - Myers
Friedman

or

Provorov - Hagg
Ghost - Myers
Sanheim - Gudas
Morin, Friedman

He could trade Gudas and one of Morin/Friedman/Hagg and other assets for a young talented RHD
And of course 2019 and 2020 draft picks come into play.
As well as TDL deals this year for assets that can be flipped in other deals (see St Louis).

Now it may take a year or two for this lineup to jell, and we need Hart/Lyon/trade? to fix the goalie hole.
Next season this should be one of the 5 youngest teams in the league.

Note this solid team doesn't depend on Ratcliffe, Farabee, O'Brien, etc. to become top 9/top 4 players, they're the icing on the cake that provide flexibility to maintain a top team well into the 2020s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad