NBA 2018-19 Regular Season Thread Part II

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
they should've put VC on the AS roster along with dirk and wade

not only is he an icon like the other two but they forgot he gave up his roster spot for MJ in 03?

Reactions: dahrougem2

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
they should've put VC on the AS roster along with dirk and wade

not only is he an icon like the other two but they forgot he gave up his roster spot for MJ in 03?
He's been irrelevant since he left the Nets. Sorry, but it's true.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
He's been irrelevant since he left the Nets. Sorry, but it's true.

doesn't take away from the fact that he's still an NBA icon

yes, dirk and wade had the better careers when its all said and done but carter had far more impact on the growth of the NBA's popularity. pretty sad he wasn't included

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Dirk left a bigger mark than Carter. Come on guys, there are basketball fans outside of USA lol.

Reactions: Cassano

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The dude is still an idol in Canada and is respected everywhere. Carter had more of an impact on the game than either Dirk or Wade, and I say that with the utmost respect for both of them.
Not even close to the legacies of DWade and Dirk, cmon now.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
What country loves and still has a basketball team because of Wade??
For everywhere outside of Toronto, people will say Carter is GOAT Raptor, how he changed country's view on basketball, etc.
True Toronto fans know it is DeMar.

People forget how bad Vince's exit was leaving the team. Faking injuries and all. It makes AD look tame in comparison.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
For everywhere outside of Toronto, people will say Carter is GOAT Raptor, how he changed country's view on basketball, etc.
True Toronto fans know it is DeMar.

People forget how bad Vince's exit was leaving the team. Faking injuries and all. It makes AD look tame in comparison.
I've seen Vince's entire career. Whatever happened in his exit pales in comparison to what he provided prior to. He was a superstar.

I really don't know what to say about the Demar part.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
What country loves and still has a basketball team because of Wade??

Come on now. Toronto DEFINITELY would still have a basketball team today even if Vince had never been a Raptor. Simply put, this is 2019 and the GTA is one of the top 5 biggest sports markets in North America. You have (again we are talking about 2019 here) both a massive population of middle class urban/suburbanites who can fill seats and provide a healthy season ticket holder base and a significant corporate presence that can fill private boxes and courtside seats.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Come on now. Toronto DEFINITELY would still have a basketball team today even if Vince had never been a Raptor. Simply put, this is 2019 and the GTA is one of the top 5 biggest sports markets in North America. You have (again we are talking about 2019 here) both a massive population of middle class urban/suburbanites who can fill seats and provide a healthy season ticket holder base and a significant corporate presence that can fill private boxes and courtside seats.
Without telling me specifically, are you above or below 30?

Vancouver could say the same thing, but here we are.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Without telling me specifically, are you above or below 30?
I'm over 30. The Toronto of 20-25 years ago was a different sized market. Vince made a difference in getting casual fans interested back then, but Toronto would be a thriving basketball market now with or without his existence.

Vancouver could say the same thing, but here we are.
Again come on dude - these are COMPLETELY different markets. The population of metro Vancouver is around 2.5 million. The population of metro Toronto is around 6 million. That's a difference of around 3.5 million people.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
If a 2 goal lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey, apparently a 15+ point lead is the most dangerous in basketball

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'm over 30. The Toronto of 20-25 years ago was a different sized market. Vince made a difference in getting casual fans interested back then, but Toronto would be a thriving basketball market now with or without his existence.

Again come on dude - these are COMPLETELY different markets. The population of metro Vancouver is around 2.5 million. The population of metro Toronto is around 6 million. That's a difference of around 3.5 million people.
And Memphis has a metro population of 1.3.

Population isn't the only indication of if a market will work or not. NBA in Canada wasn't working until Vince started 360'ing on everyone.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
anyone outside toronto remember the raptors before VC?

exactly. and just because he's been a veteran presence the last decade or so let's not forget how good he was back in the day.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
And Memphis has a metro population of 1.3.

Population isn't the only indication of if a market will work or not. NBA in Canada wasn't working until Vince started 360'ing on everyone.

Memphis is struggling mightily to generate revenue last time I checked. They are also the least valuable franchise in the NBA. They are in trouble because their market is tiny and they no longer have an entertaining/competitive team to compensate for it. Fortunately they are the only 'Big 4' sports team in town so they'll survive.

Totally agree that population isn't the only indication of if a market will work, but it is a big indication of if a market will work or not when the population is 6.5 million and you only need a fraction of interested people compared to a much smaller market.

The key word is 'was'. You said it yourself. The NBA would have worked in Toronto eventually NO MATTER WHAT.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad