Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Not too happy with that unless the situation at BU is a lot more favorable to his development next year.

I don’t know, given Colorado’s track record for player development, maybe it’s for the best? :laugh:

In fact, perhaps they should consider a soccer-esque loaning layout, wherein we can ship our prospects to Ottawa’s, Tampa’s, Nashville for our defensemen, etc, farm systems, then take them back when they’re ready to play at the NHL level. :sarcasm: (Massive sarcasm)

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
As for Morrison, I’m just a fan, I’ve never played organized hockey, so I have little business opining concretely on his NHL ability. If he becomes a Josh Anderson (Columbus’, not Colorado’s) level pro I’d be thrilled. Not to say their player styles are carbon copies of each other, rather that he becomes a middle 6 guy who can spot fill in the top 6, chip in 15+ goals a year, be a physical pest, & provide a Holmström-like net front presence on the PP (though, his wrist shot is good enough he can rotate to the slot & be a threat from their as well).

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Not too happy with that unless the situation at BU is a lot more favorable to his development next year.
Agree with this. If BU is going to be weak next year I prefer he goes to the AHL. If he is going to have good support then I'm OK with it. Not sure who have committed to BU yet so undecided at this point in time.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Bowers probably wants to prove he can be a more productive player in college and go the FA route to make money right away.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
He could also enjoy college & the camaraderie among his coaches & teammates. :dunno: Coming back for another run at a championship might matter to him. He’s a sophomore, correct? If he returns for his senior year I’ll panic, well, that’s too strong. I’ll become concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barklez

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Eh, if he wants to stay another year that's fine, if he does really well there'll be incentive on both sides to get a deal done and have him forego his senior year. It at least helps the Avs in that they don't have to worry about contract/cap space while he's there another season, and he'll continue to develop under someone other than the less-than-stellar developmental team the Avs currently have.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Don't blame him for wanting to stay. He hasn't dominated at the college level. Similar scenario as Makar after finishing his freshman season. Worked out well for him.

Reactions: MarkT

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
He could also enjoy college & the camaraderie among his coaches & teammates. :dunno: Coming back for another run at a championship might matter to him. He’s a sophomore, correct? If he returns for his senior year I’ll panic, well, that’s too strong. I’ll become concerned.
The good news is, he's part of the Halifax pipeline and Colorado represents a good opportunity and a team on the rise simultaneously.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hopefully things improve at BU if Bowers really does end up staying. I'm a little surprised since there were even rumours he'd leave for the Q during this past season but maybe that was just BS.

Too early to worry about him leaving as a FA IMO. Plus, I don't think MacKinnon will let his offseason training partner do that.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Yeah I don't see any issue with him staying at BU. He didn't dominate this year like most figured he could, and he'll still only be 20 this time next year with a full 3 years of ELC control. He seems to be making some big strides on the defensive side of things, so hopefully the offense comes through next year. NCAA > NHL is becoming a nice transition for guys who dominate at the college level.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's certainly surprising that Bowers is heading back, but considering that most of us figured he was tagged for the AHL anyway it's not a big deal if he goes back for another year to try and get his offense fine tuned. That's all he would be doing in the AHL anyway.

It's definitely a loss for the Eagles though, although on the bright side it gives Shvyrev an opportunity to take on a larger role at C on that team.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bowers probably wants to prove he can be a more productive player in college and go the FA route to make money right away.

That'd really suck but since he's now projecting to be a bottom 6er it wouldn't be the end of the world. His stocks dropped quite a bit this year.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Does Makar watch start on Friday? dun dun duuunnnnn

upload_2019-3-24_16-14-41.png

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah I don't see any issue with him staying at BU. He didn't dominate this year like most figured he could, and he'll still only be 20 this time next year with a full 3 years of ELC control. He seems to be making some big strides on the defensive side of things, so hopefully the offense comes through next year. NCAA > NHL is becoming a nice transition for guys who dominate at the college level.
Don't blame him for wanting to stay. He hasn't dominated at the college level. Similar scenario as Makar after finishing his freshman season. Worked out well for him.

Bowers doesn't have that kind of skill level to absolutely dominate the NCAA level & be the main catalyst to turning a team's fortune's around. He's just a piece of the puzzle & needs to be surrounded with talent to put up big #s at that level.

Which is why I think that whether this will be good for him or not will depend a lot on BU's incoming freshmen helping put more skill around him, and the coaching staff using their talent better. If those things don't happen we probably won't see much progress in his production, in which case I'd rather he start adapting to the pro game...

...unless they just don't think he could win a legit job in the AHL & would get the Shvyryov treatment if he was an Eagle next season...
That'd really suck but since he's now projecting to be a bottom 6er it wouldn't be the end of the world. His stocks dropped quite a bit this year.

Has it really? I don't think his stock has changed much at all. We all knew his production last season was due to being part of a successful puzzle & that his #s would drop off with all of the talent leaving Boston. On the plus side he's successful polished his defensive game about as much as he can at that level now, which is going to be a big part of any success he has a middle-6er/NHLer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad