Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kinda disappointing for Makar and UMass.

Also, can someone explain to me this format? There's a 3 game series followed by a single elimination game??? Wtf is that?
For two reasons, it's for giving the lower seed a chance to win as much as possible and it's there to speed up the season. These lads are taking classes some time from Monday to Thursday and education comes first in NCAA. It's not like they're arriving home at 2am from a road trip (especially in the WHL) on Sunday night and gotta go back to class Monday like it is in the CHL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bowers looked good for BU, the commentators were mentioning how much he has developed on the defencive side to the game. I could tell you lot why BU wasn't very good this year, one of those weird ones were all the senior players have the highest skill level of a 3rd line grinder. But because they're all seniors and have the veteran leadership, any coach would put majority of them in the top 6. For the people who didn't watch the game, Bowers set up at least four golden opportunities where the skill level of his teammates let him down. He also took every important draw, especially defencively. I don't think him or Makar were on the ice for any goals against, but don't quote me on that. There's a limit of talent with Shane, but he's an underrated skater, a driver, and super competitive (definitely on the forecheque). I think he should eventually fit right into Bednar's system if he's still around.

We've been spoiled with Makar's three point games every now and often because yesterday brought us back down to Earth as a fanbase. The whole UMass team laid a stinker, but some of that has to be because they're playing against like 2,000 NCAA games coached for Jerry York. Makar made plays, but there was no dynamism to break the game open for UMass and when you're their best player that falls on Cale. This isn't to say that UMass didn't have chances, they did, but Woll was fantastic.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Besides the random first round of every conference tournament, everything else is single game elimination.

NCAA Tournament

I think the main reason they do double elimination in the opening round is to damn near ensure the better team advances. As for the move to single game elimination, for one it has to do with arena availability. In example, Ohio St hosted the girls high school basketball state semifinals and championship last weekend in their arena used for both hoops & hockey. Thus, the Buckeyes had to play Penn St on Sunday. Had they won, they would’ve faced Notre Dame this Sunday due to the boys HS basketball championships occupying the arena Thursday-Saturday.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Morrison has scored the game winner in both of ND’s conference tourney championship games. Also, Cale Morris w/ 48 saves, including a breakaway chance by Dennis Smirnov.

Reactions: Avs_19

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Does Morrison have an NHL future? He's often the forgotten man here because of his underwhelming post-draft years.

I’m not sure. If he comes out this year he likely needs to marinate in the A for a season or 2, hopefully work on being more offensively aggressive. He’s a bull around the net, which Colorado needs from someone, but his wrister is also legit, and he needs utilize it more.

Last BSN podcast discussing Avs prospects AJ Hafele said he & Greer are likely vying for the same job at the NHL level. This is assuming Colorado intends to sign him, which, as a 2nd round pick, I’d expect them to. :dunno:

You’re welcome for that blathering of unhelpfulness. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: avsfan09 and Avs_19

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Last BSN podcast discussing Avs prospects AJ Hafele said he & Greer are likely vying for the same job at the NHL level. This is assuming Colorado intends to sign him, which, as a 2nd round pick, I’d expect them to. :dunno:

You’re welcome for that blathering of unhelpfulness. :laugh:

Ah yes, the JB special job of "Undressed Emergency Callup"

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Bigras, Greer, Meloche, and Morrison. Four 2nd round picks in between 30 and 40 and it is questionable if any become solid NHL players? Yikes, that’s terrible.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I doubt any of them become more than bottom pairing or bottom 6 guys which is definitely not good from your 2nd rounders. But I do think Greer and Morrison can still carve out bottom 6 roles. Especially if Greer can learn to play like he did on his last call up all the time. And Morrison has a real good, heavy shot and hes very good in tight around the net. He's actually a player this team sorely needs in the bottom 9.

Meloche I dont see it at all but others still see something in his game so who knows.

Reactions: Arcade Fire

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Bigras, Greer, Meloche, and Morrison. Four 2nd round picks in between 30 and 40 and it is questionable if any become solid NHL players? Yikes, that’s terrible.

It's been 9 years since the team drafted a legit NHLer....outside of the top 10 picks in a draft.

Abysmal.

If a few of these 2nd/3rd round guys also don't make it, then Sakic did not, in fact, fix the scouting drafting problem with the s**tcanning of Pracey. Heck, are we even confident that Kaut is a real future NHL guy?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's been 9 years since the team drafted a legit NHLer....outside of the top 10 picks in a draft.

Abysmal.

If a few of these 2nd/3rd round guys also don't make it, then Sakic did not, in fact, fix the scouting drafting problem with the s**tcanning of Pracey. Heck, are we even confident that Kaut is a real future NHL guy?

Well... Hepple wasnt responsible for the Greer/Meloche/Bigras picks, or at least he wasn't the director of scouting for those drafts.

His first draft as head of the show was 2016. A draft that is still far too early to declare a success or bust, though it isn't looking particularly great right now. I suspect only Jost, and maybe Morrison or Werner end up NHLers from that class. Though if you can get 2 or 3 NHLers from a draft you'd have to call it a success so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad