Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Is it bad that I wish he'd score more goals with slapshots? It seems like all his goals are from long distance wristers and I'm not sure they will translate well in the NHL.
He seems to be able to get his shots through be it slappers or wrist shots. His head is up almost always before he releases it unlike guys like Barrie and Johnson who alot of times have their heads down and praying their slapper gets through. Its more about vision, angles and some luck when it comes to getting shots through in the NHL. His goal the other game was a perfect example. Makar was about to release it. The shot blocker came out to challenge it and Makar dragged the puck and changed the angle and released a wrister for the goal.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Notice how mobile and fluid Makar looks? Barrie looks stiff and scared to death on the PP. Wasnt always the case with Barrie but its something I've noticed about him the past few seasons.

His confidence is also on another level when he has the puck. It has been the case at both UMass and the WJC with Canada. Hopefully that translates to the NHL.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Feels like Makar has that Mackinnon swagger maybe even more. I have no doubt that when he arrives hes gonna want to establish himself as one of the best dman in the NHL.

Yup. I don't want to see him just deferring when MacKinnon is on the ice with him. It'll be hilarious the first time MacKinnon is beaver tapping and yelling but the puck isn't coming his way.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Is it bad that I wish he'd score more goals with slapshots? It seems like all his goals are from long distance wristers and I'm not sure they will translate well to the NHL.

Na you want quick shots from the points nowadays. Players are too fast and the systems too tight to wind up for big clappers like back in the day.

If there is proper traffic then any shot can make it past a goalie. Always a chance for rebounds as well.

I find the key now for d men is creating a shooting lane by walking the blue line and firing off quick accurate shots. This is one of Makar’s biggest strengths.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Just saw the out-of-conference home games for DU next year. UMass-Amherst will be in town, but of course they set that up after Makar goes pro. They could still be fun to see live, but I won’t have the same connection when watching them, unfortunately.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I really hope Mack and Makar figure out how best to connect on Makar's stretch passes early and often.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Martin Prince looking head ass goalie we recently drafted? That be nice. Hows he doing in Finland?
Annunen could've played in Heavyweights just due to his cheek size.

Hard to say, he's one of those prospects who was obviously too good for the Finland's junior system, but wasn't quite ready to play against men (which he played against the entire year). That's why he's sporting his awesome .891 save percentage. In comparison the two Czech goalers that went in the same draft are posting .900+ save percentage in Finland's top league, Liiga (Justus played in Fin AHL). Now that doesn't mean Annunen sucks as everyone is on a different development path, but it means he's still really raw which is what he was when we drafted him. Him actually coming over destroys a couple of development years which Avs obviously drafted him for. However, if Annunen wants to come over to play back against his age group, but in a more talented junior league I don't think Avs would say no to that either.

I suggest that he would probably be very good in the CHL and get an invite for Finland's WJC camp next season. When he plays against players his age, he's already quite accomplished. The problem is that the two Czech goalers that I believe went behind him in the draft are posting fantastic numbers against better competition.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Annunen could've played in Heavyweights just due to his cheek size.

Hard to say, he's one of those prospects who was obviously too good for the Finland's junior system, but wasn't quite ready to play against men (which he played against the entire year). That's why he's sporting his awesome .891 save percentage. In comparison the two Czech goalers that went in the same draft are posting .900+ save percentage in Finland's top league, Liiga (Justus played in Fin AHL). Now that doesn't mean Annunen sucks as everyone is on a different development path, but it means he's still really raw which is what he was when we drafted him. Him actually coming over destroys a couple of development years which Avs obviously drafted him for. However, if Annunen wants to come over to play back against his age group, but in a more talented junior league I don't think Avs would say no to that either.

I suggest that he would probably be very good in the CHL and get an invite for Finland's WJC camp next season. When he plays against players his age, he's already quite accomplished. The problem is that the two Czech goalers that I believe went behind him in the draft are posting fantastic numbers against better competition.

He makes me think of Goldberg from the ducks movies.

Reactions: klozge and S E P H

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
He makes me think of Goldberg from the ducks movies.

Now that’s what we need in net! :sarcasm:

ComplexOldGrub-small.gif

Reactions: CobraAcesS

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
BU's season will end today if they lose to Mass-Lowell. Could mean Bowers signs soon.

Also, Morrison and Ranta both scored in the ND/Minn game last night.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
BU's season will end today if they lose to Mass-Lowell. Could mean Bowers signs soon.

I'm pretty curious if Sakic is in Boston right now. Less than a two hour drive away from both Umass Amherst and Umass Lowell. I read he was there when Umass Amherst was eliminated last season.

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co

Also, Morrison and Ranta both scored in the ND/Minn game last night.
I could see him sign an ATO and join the Eagles for their playoff run. They have two games series for each of the next four weekends.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bowers is a year younger than Makar, so it doesn't actually matter if he signs an ATO or ELC...as his ELC would still be able to slide this season, and neither his RFA clock would start nor would he become XD eligible.

Reactions: Barklez

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
So what's up with Bowers? I understand BU wasn't a powerhouse but his numbers aren't very promising. Definitely not the progression you want to see.

Farabee was able to put up nearly a point per game and is a year behind Bowers in terms of development.

Just seems like a lot of people here are already penciling him into the lineup. How's that justified?

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So what's up with Bowers? I understand BU wasn't a powerhouse but his numbers aren't very promising. Definitely not the progression you want to see.

Farabee was able to put up nearly a point per game and is a year behind Bowers in terms of development.

Just seems like a lot of people here are already penciling him into the lineup. How's that justified?

A lot of it is that his play against the puck is very advanced & likely already NHL-ready; so he should be able to put up a fight for the 4C spot...especially after Kam blows up again. So unless you want to nurture his offensive game in the AHL next season -- as I do -- there's little harm in giving him a genuine shot at winning a spot in camp, which his two-way game could win him.

Reactions: Tralfamadore

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Bowers and Kamanev will be really good bottom-6 players for us going forward. Something we desperately need, hilariously though they were developed by other teams but if that's what it takes to find that kind of quality depth then so be it.

Reactions: ljb4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad