Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Makar is certainly playing a big role in the turn around but they are a legitimately good team both at forward and on defense. They're also playing against some generally weak competition right now.

Still, it's amazing the turnaround and I think it's a great thing that Makar is getting to be a part of something like that right now. Great for his development.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think people gave UMass enough credit last year... Carvel has brought in a top of talent and last year they were very talented, but raw and inexperienced. This year you are seeing the experience come around to the talent. Mitchell Chaffee should have been drafted last year and might be a coveted free agent this spring if he wants to leave. Marc Del Gaizo will also peak interest in couple seasons.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think people gave UMass enough credit last year... Carvel has brought in a top of talent and last year they were very talented, but raw and inexperienced. This year you are seeing the experience come around to the talent. Mitchell Chaffee should have been drafted last year and might be a coveted free agent this spring if he wants to leave. Marc Del Gaizo will also peak interest in couple seasons.

Sounds like Makar's development, along with that of his team-mates has really contributed to his offensive dominance. They seem to be making much better use of what he creates on the ice this year. I've only watched a couple of games myself, but they seemed like a much more mature and structured team this year in the way they play from start to finish. Makar was ice-man level consistent throughout the games that I watched as well.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Glad to see Bowers, Kaut, and Ranta all get invites to camp. Kaut is a lock but we'll have to see about the other two.

No Annunen........

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sounds like Makar's development, along with that of his team-mates has really contributed to his offensive dominance. They seem to be making much better use of what he creates on the ice this year. I've only watched a couple of games myself, but they seemed like a much more mature and structured team this year in the way they play from start to finish. Makar was ice-man level consistent throughout the games that I watched as well.

I wouldn't say they are more structured...they were very structured last year, they were a bit snakebit last year and had some classic inexperience blunders. Bad turnovers, bad penalties, too quick to defer. This year the whole group is more confident and are stepping on the ice thinking they will win every game. Makar stirs the drink, but Chaffee and Leonard are the gin and tonic. Those two are very good players and I don't think they get nearly the credit they should to how good UMass can be. Marc is also a very big part of the team... his ability to create has taken some of that burden off Makar and teams less ability to key in on Makar.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wouldn't say they are more structured...they were very structured last year, they were a bit snakebit last year and had some classic inexperience blunders. Bad turnovers, bad penalties, too quick to defer. This year the whole group is more confident and are stepping on the ice thinking they will win every game. Makar stirs the drink, but Chaffee and Leonard are the gin and tonic. Those two are very good players and I don't think they get nearly the credit they should to how good UMass can be. Marc is also a very big part of the team... his ability to create has taken some of that burden off Makar and teams less ability to key in on Makar.

Maybe when I say structured it probably is a bit more of a lose term than it would be for you. They seem more consistent in how they play from period to period, and their transitions seemed more controlled and consistent. Basically just to say that there are obvious signs of maturity throughout the team. Even from a novice perspective.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe when I say structured it probably is a bit more of a lose term than it would be for you. They seem more consistent in how they play from period to period, and their transitions seemed more controlled and consistent. Basically just to say that there are obvious signs of maturity throughout the team. Even from a novice perspective.

That is an accurate way of putting it. Last year they made some small mistakes consistently which were just experience things... this year they are pretty clean from those. This winning streak they are on won't continue all year (I actually expect a split this weekend), but they are playing as solid of hockey as any team in college. Everything is clean and direct. Just pure aggressive attacking hockey that prioritizes pushing plays outside on defense and quick transitions. Carvel is going to be a hot commodity this offseason, and for that matter Barr too.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Martin Kaut has 11 points in 21 games. The Wolves don’t seem to have a lot of high end performers or am I misinterpreting something?

What’s expected of him? Is he underperforming? Is it the talent around him?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Martin Kaut has 11 points in 21 games. The Wolves don’t seem to have a lot of high end performers or am I misinterpreting something?

What’s expected of him? Is he underperforming? Is it the talent around him?
You should use Klim Kostin as a benchmarker since he went straight into the AHL after his draft year. Even though he was picked 31st overall*, he did post 28 points in 66 games as an 18-year-old rookie (which I consider it a successful season). Thus far Kaut has 11 in 21 games which you can say is exceeding expectations for me.

* He was ranked higher throughout the season, but sustained a shoulder injury in his draft year.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The AHL is just a tough league for 19 year old kids... .5-.6 is a pretty positive showing. .7-.8 is great. 1.0+ is flat out great and a hugely positive sign. Though I'd say that besides the latter, they are just good signs... don't point to being a sure thing on stats alone.

I get comparing him to Kostin, but Kostin is so overrated to me... living off that -1 hype and doesn't look like an impact NHLer to me. I'd hope Kaut does better than him in his +1 season...

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
You should use Klim Kostin as a benchmarker since he went straight into the AHL after his draft year. Even though he was picked 31st overall*, he did post 28 points in 66 games as an 18-year-old rookie (which I consider it a successful season). Thus far Kaut has 11 in 21 games which you can say is exceeding expectations for me.

* He was ranked higher throughout the season, but sustained a shoulder injury in his draft year.

I must be doing something wrong with the multi quote.

I’m just worried about young guys losing their trajectory when they’re in an environment with older players trying to make it.

I’m hopeful for this guy. With some of the recent discussion with people acknowledging their concerns with Jost, it highlights a necessity to have the requisite speed/strength as a skater. He needs to add strength and play a little faster but we need him to develop.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm happy with how Kaut is playing so far. His physical maturity and work ethic is showing, and he's proving that the offensive upside he showed on the Czech national team wasn't a mirage. He still needs time before he's NHL ready but the progress is already well underway.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kaut is still the forgotten man in this organization to an extent, which is surprising since he was just drafted in the first round. I'm guilty of it myself. If him and Bowers pan out, they'll have some pretty nice depth on this team for years to come.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Are the numbers starting to come for Bowers? Is his development still progressing well? Outside shot at team Canada?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Are the numbers starting to come for Bowers? Is his development still progressing well? Outside shot at team Canada?
Numbers aren't really coming, but it is a new coach in a new system and he's centring the top line playing against the best players constantly. Perhaps he's snakebitten a tad, but there is also a reason why he went in the twentys instead of the top 15.

He can absolutely make Team Canada, but it will be as a two-way grinder who can forecheque on the bottom 6. I think Canada is set with Glass, Suzuki, Tippett, Vilardi, Comtois, and Frost as their top 6. Not sure there is a ton of dynamic offence in there, but a ton of centres and veteran presence. Canada's strength will be in net and on defence which is looking quite deep.

Reactions: Postanin CB Ting

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’ve only seen Bowers once this season and it was last weekend. I found he was playing much safer than he did last year. Pulling up instead of driving the net. Dumping the puck instead of backing off and waiting for a play to become available. He looked pretty good overall but he certainly hasn’t grown any more flash than last year.

He’s a freak defensively though. I mean I thought he was good defensively last year but he looked even better last weekend. Like I mean probably the best defensive forward on the ice even though he’s younger than most. Realize though that taking note of somebody’s defensive player usually happens when you’re completely focusing on that specific player as I was with Bowers. Maybe there were other players near or on his level but because I wasn’t really focusing on them I didn’t take notice.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Bowers has been moved to wing and off the top line. O'Connell is basically throwing crap at the wall and hoping something sticks... right now the Terriers are just a bad team with no sense of who they are. Even Bobo Carpenter who has been a very steady player for the past couple seasons can't get going. I wouldn't expect Bowers to produce all that well this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad