GDT: 2018-19 Other Games Around the League (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
PK's brother sucks. Gotta retake 1st place again tomorrow. Hope Calgary doesn't go on another 7 game winning streak. I don't think we can overcome another big deficit.

Trocity

Nov 24, 2016
Any reason they would start Fleury against the Canucks and Subban against the f**king Flames?

Just making certain to get the 2 points against the easier team? Seems like a bad idea so far to me.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Any reason they would start Fleury against the Canucks and Subban against the f**king Flames?

Just making certain to get the 2 points against the easier team? Seems like a bad idea so far to me.

Well the Sharks are probably gonna start Jones against Minny to try to secure 2 points and chalk the Winnipeg game as a schedule loss. That's what I'd do because I doubt Jones can save us against Winnipeg on 2nd of back to back.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I was asking the same thing.
Fleury is expecting a child.
I actually didn't know this.

That second goal on Subban was a super terrible goal. After already reviewing the earlier games, that's the softy of the night, but Quick's bone dust is in action this evening as well and he's been good for some stinkers lately. Quick looks like a zombie most nights the last couple weeks. Someone needs to photoshop blood all over his face or a zombie head onto a picture of him in his jersey and equipment.

This is the toughest game Calgary has this week. They got the Devils AHL team coming in next on Tuesday, then the dissected Rangers on Friday, so I think it's almost a lock to mark them down for 4 more points if they win this one tonight. Fortunately, I don't think it's a lock they win this one just yet.

And I hope if they draw Vegas in round one, they do this shit to them there and demolish them.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Annddddd the Golden Knights make it 3-2.

And we ain't even seen the obligatory Rittich softy yet, so they absolutely still have a solid chance at blowing this one and losing.

I still think they're a lock for 4 points after this game.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Annddddd the Golden Knights make it 3-2.

And we ain't even seen the obligatory Rittich softy yet, so they absolutely still have a solid chance at blowing this one and losing.

I still think they're a lock for 4 points after this game.

And we still haven’t seen the obligatory Rittich softie.

I am seriously not impressed by Giordano’s defensive play every time I watch him. But his defensive numbers are strong so meh.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I wish I had the Calgary/Knights game. I can only watch Kings/Ducks, and this game is being played with all of the crispness and precision of two drunken winos having a slapfight.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
And we still haven’t seen the obligatory Rittich softie.

I am seriously not impressed by Giordano’s defensive play every time I watch him. But his defensive numbers are strong so meh.
Giordano's at least passable to me, but maybe he's also an anomaly like David Rittich, where the numbers say one thing but the eyes say another thing and don't confirm it.:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Between Rittich, Fleury and Jones I think the Pacific may have the worst starting goalies of any division.
I think Fleury is the anomaly. He looks a lot better than his save percentage this year and he's also been run into the ground. I think a .912% goalie playing over 60 games is worth more than a .920% guy that plays 40-45 games too.

Rittich looks below average at best on my eyes (not in this game.... yet) and Koskinen looks the same, despite both having above league average save percentages. Dubnyk is another guy that looks mediocre as f*** this year, but I will say that he had no chance on the 3 goals on 7 shots last game he played, but Stalock let in 2 bad goals on 3 allowed and one was a horrific wrap around, stuff play softy. How the f*** is Stalock in the league anymore? I'm really sidetracking things here.

I do think Fleury is the anomaly that looks better than his play on paper from my project this year. Koskinen and Rittich (neither have played true starters workloads) are anomaly's the other way. Last I ran Rask's, he's another one that has a better save percentage than what I've seen, but it's leveled out recently, as I haven't counted any stoppable on him in a while from what I remember.

As bad as Rittich has been, Mike Smith and Pheonix Copley have been two of the worst goalies I've seen this year, to play a significant number of games. Worse than Talbot, Jones, Kinkaid, Allen, who have all been bad. Copley's save percentage says he's been just below average. Smith's says he's been bad, but not the worst in the last decade, which looks like that's what it should be.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Giordano's at least passable to me, but maybe he's also an anomaly like David Rittich, where the numbers say one thing but the eyes say another thing and don't confirm it.:laugh:

The difference with the eye test is that you’ve watched every goal that Rittich has allowed this year. I’ve watched about 10-15 Flames games. :laugh:

But in the games I’ve seen, Giordano does not look like an elite shutdown #1D defensively, and he doesn’t look that great offensively either. Certainly looks passable at both ends but he gets burned pretty often defensively and he’s very poorly disciplined.

With somebody like Rielly I at least see the offense they bring on a nightly basis but Giordano doesn’t look like anything too special at either end to me.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The difference with the eye test is that you’ve watched every goal that Rittich has allowed this year. I’ve watched about 10-15 Flames games. :laugh:

But in the games I’ve seen, Giordano does not look like an elite shutdown #1D defensively, and he doesn’t look that great offensively either. Certainly looks passable at both ends but he gets burned pretty often defensively and he’s very poorly disciplined.

With somebody like Rielly I at least see the offense they bring on a nightly basis but Giordano doesn’t look like anything too special at either end to me.
Your description of him actually sounds a bit like Damon Severson of the Devils. I think if Severson turned into Giordano that would be good.

Severson usually posts great relative corsi numbers (down this year, but he's been loaded up with a lot more minutes and his relative corsi is actually going up since they loaded him up with more minutes in the last little while), he scores some points offensively (not as much Giordano, at least not yet), but most people knock him for constantly losing his man in front of the net and it causing goals against. He's not good in the D-zone, but he can at least help get the puck out of the D-zone, unlike many of the craters back there.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't know if Vegas is gonna win the goalie interference here.

And they don't.

20 more minutes for the Rittich softy.

Ooofff. Now Subban gets a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct for screaming at the referee. Vegas starts the 3rd period on the PK.

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Both these teams will struggle to make it to 6 games if the Sharks play their solid 200foot game that they can, especially if both EKs are playing good hockey

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Don't know if Vegas is gonna win the goalie interference here.

And they don't.

20 more minutes for the Rittich softy.

Ooofff. Now Subban gets a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct for screaming at the referee. Vegas starts the 3rd period on the PK.

Somebody on the main boards just told me that Rittich is great on breakaways and stops 9 out of 10 of them. Then told me I don’t know what I’m talking about. :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Somebody on the main boards just told me that Rittich is great on breakaways and stops 9 out of 10 of them. Then told me I don’t know what I’m talking about. :laugh:
I'm not sure what his breakaway save percentage is (I doubt it's that good). In fact, I'm not even sure what a good breakaway save percentage is in-game. It's something like 33% is the average success rate in the shootout, so I'm assuming .670% is the average goalie save percentage in shootouts, but here's the thing.

In the shootout, it gets counted as a save for the goalie if the shooter misses the net or hits the post. Even if the goalie doesn't come into contact with it. That's not the case in-games. So it may be a bit lower than that. Like 60% or something.

Of course, the only thing I have to prove that Rittich isn't good is my eye test, as his save percentage says he's above average, at least for this year.

But I was calling the regression in his save percentage as early as November and it never came until recently, but it finally did. He was in the ,920%'s and higher for a lot of this season. Koskinen was way up there too and I was calling for his inflated save percentage (PDO, so to speak) to decrease. And then his save percentage finally started dropping, but at the same time, the goals I was counting stoppable weren't really going up any higher than they had been. They were just at an alarmingly high rate before that, when his save percentage was still really good. I wouldn't nail Rittich on any of these goals tonight. The market correction is in effect. If I had to guess, Rittich looks more like a .905% goalie to me. I'm not saying he's looked terrible or even one of the worst in the league, but he's looked mediocre/below average.

I'm assuming this was a Flames fan and I've found with every fanbase, a lot of people don't think their goalie is as bad as he is on paper or as bad as he looks to other people that aren't fans of the team he's on. I've noticed the same with Jones here, I've noticed the same with the Devils fans regarding Kinkaid and even Schneider. I argued that out of the 31 teams in the NHL, I wouldn't rank anybody's starter on the other 30 behind Keith Kinkaid. There might be a few guys tied with him, who are also de facto starters due to injury/tanking purposes, but when you got a goalie that isn't better than at least one goalie on 28-29 teams, you're gonna allow a lot of goals. And my eye test tells me Kinkaid blew this year. Definitely wasn't as bad as Mike Smith.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad