GDT: 2018-19 Other Games Around the League (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This LAK/ANA game is just so bad, LAK looking like an AHL team and still dominating the Ducks.
Good god, I turned that on during the intermission of the other game with Vegas/Calgary and almost feel asleep.

Anaheim had 3 shots on goal halfway through regulation. And one of the shots on goal was a gift from Jonathan Quick that turned into their only goal at that point. He gave the puck away behind the net.

Quick definitely becomes the second worst goalie contract in the league behind Price (Price is better, but his contract is for too long and for too much money) if this isn't a one-off down year for him. He's really injury prone nowadays, misses significant time every other year with injury (that's how Martin Jones got his start in the league) and he looks like a zombie when he plays these days.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Game over.

That's it, Vegas will lose. They ain't coming back from 5-3 with 3 minutes left in the game.

And when are we gonna admit that Ryan Reaves sucks at hockey (like Haley) and just isn't good? The guy sucks at playing in the NHL (not as much as Haley though). And his production this year? One of the most unsustainable occurrences and stories in the league this year. That was more unsustainable than when Rittich was playing .920%+ goalie earlier in the year.

He's still at a career high, but his production has slowed down. He scored 6 goals in the first 29 games and 10 points. And he's added just 2 goals and 7 more points in the 50 games since. We were supposed to believe that a 31-32 year old career goon was a good offensive player all the sudden?

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Game over.

That's it, Vegas will lose. They ain't coming back from 5-3 with 3 minutes left in the game.

And when are we gonna admit that Ryan Reaves sucks at hockey (like Haley) and just isn't good? The guy sucks at playing in the NHL (not as much as Haley though). And his production this year? One of the most unsustainable occurrences and stories in the league this year. That was more unsustainable than when Rittich was playing .920%+ goalie earlier in the year.

He's still at a career high, but his production has slowed down. He scored 6 goals in the first 29 games and 10 points. And he's added just 2 goals and 7 more points in the 50 games since. We were supposed to believe that a 31-32 year old career goon was a good offensive player all the sudden?

I think his rise as a personality coincided with great production early this year, and that created a false perception of his real ability.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Another softy on Quick. And he wants goalie interference. He looks like toast that got so burnt, your kitchen is filling up with smoke and your neighbors are already calling the fire department thinking the place is on fire.

I usually don't count any player or goalie out after one poor year, unless they're 36 like Mike Smith, but man does he look shot.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Another softy on Quick. And he wants goalie interference. He looks like toast that got so burnt, your kitchen is filling up with smoke and your neighbors are already calling the fire department thinking the place is on fire.

I usually don't count any player or goalie out after one poor year, unless they're 36 like Mike Smith, but man does he look shot.

i saw this goal on a highlight package last night - just terrible goaltending

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i saw this goal on a highlight package last night - just terrible goaltending

This is exactly what I was talking about with Quick.

Earlier in the year, actually up until a couple weeks ago, I had Quick at a relatively low stoppable goal count/percentage for how in the toilet his save percentage was. And my reasoning for why he's much likely worse than he looks is because he spends half the game on his ass or swimming around in the crease or overshooting himself across the crease and slipping and sliding and throwing himself out of position.

You'd have to think logically that there's a lot of goals that don't look stoppable when they're going in, but that really are stoppable because of how much he's flopping and swimming and break dancing and shooting himself up and down I-5. Look how much open there is when he does that.

And that's a prime example of it right there. I didn't even count that goal stoppable, nor 4 of the other 6 goals (I think he allowed 6 in that game?) in that game. Think I only counted one stoppable, but that was the game where I came to that conclusion. But he's played like this forever and he usually gets solid to very good results. The series that shall not be named back in 2014 was where this was happening a lot in the first 3 games, especially in games 1 and 2. His over-aggressiveness was causing a lot of open nets and he was shooting himself in and out of the crease and that really caused a lot of the goals in games 1 and 2. They didn't look like bad or stoppable goals, but his style of play really caused a lot of the goals against him in those first two games.

But I will say that in the last few weeks, I've counted A LOT more that are just stoppable. Not even the ones where he's swimming around, but just saveable shots going in on him while he's in position for them.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
conventional wisdom was that the defense could clean up the issues caused by that style.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
This is exactly what I was talking about with Quick.

Earlier in the year, actually up until a couple weeks ago, I had Quick at a relatively low stoppable goal count/percentage for how in the toilet his save percentage was. And my reasoning for why he's much likely worse than he looks is because he spends half the game on his ass or swimming around in the crease or overshooting himself across the crease and slipping and sliding and throwing himself out of position.

You'd have to think logically that there's a lot of goals that don't look stoppable when they're going in, but that really are stoppable because of how much he's flopping and swimming and break dancing and shooting himself up and down I-5. Look how much open there is when he does that.

And that's a prime example of it right there. I didn't even count that goal stoppable, nor 4 of the other 6 goals (I think he allowed 6 in that game?) in that game. Think I only counted one stoppable, but that was the game where I came to that conclusion. But he's played like this forever and he usually gets solid to very good results. The series that shall not be named back in 2014 was where this was happening a lot in the first 3 games, especially in games 1 and 2. His over-aggressiveness was causing a lot of open nets and he was shooting himself in and out of the crease and that really caused a lot of the goals in games 1 and 2. They didn't look like bad or stoppable goals, but his style of play really caused a lot of the goals against him in those first two games.

But I will say that in the last few weeks, I've counted A LOT more that are just stoppable. Not even the ones where he's swimming around, but just saveable shots going in on him while he's in position for them.

Halfway through reading this i was thinking of responding with note of games 1-3 in that lost, forgotten, and erased from history playoff series. Maybe the book is out on him now and shooters know to be a bit more heads up when catching a pass for a shot while quick is moving.

Kinda off topic, but i always thought that Tim Thomas was the same type of goalie, and that he was lucky that his over agressiveness didnt come back to bite him as much as it should have (having Chara and co bailing him out certainly helped). Everyone loved how he made those diving, open net saves, but he shouldnt have been swimming in the corner in the first place....

I guess that's also what makes Jones so frustrating, because more often than not he's in the right position, just doenst make the save. His style is kinda antithetical to Quick in that sense

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Remember that I said back in October that Jack Hughes will end up with the Kings?

Gonna happen.....

That or colorado even worse. Kings even with hughes are a good half dozen years away from competing again.

Colorado could be a power house team if they find stable goaltending.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was excited to watch the Devils try and hang on. 51 seconds in, they're already down.
Blackwood was due to get lit up at some point.

Would have liked a save on that penalty shot that he was seemingly square to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad