GDT: 2018-19 NHL Trade Deadline | Feb. 25, 2019 | 3:00pm ET | 21:00 CET

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Lightning have to do something for a THD next year so Risto with term makes sense but also means say goodbye to Stralls

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Lebrun says we've "checked in" on Simmonds, and not interested in Stone.

They also have Ryan Callahan on their trade board.

...And Vlad Namestnikov, apparently. (Not linked to us; Just happened to glance up and see him.)

Doesn't HF usually go down a few times on this day?

I think the servers have gotten significantly better. They've handled the load pretty well over the past year.

If we're not interested in Stone and only "checked in" on Simmonds, I really don't see us making a move. Possibly some minor stuff to get a player for Syracuse, but I don't see additions or substractions from the roster.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think the servers have gotten significantly better. They've handled the load pretty well over the past year.

If we're not interested in Stone and only "checked in" on Simmonds, I really don't see us making a move. Possibly some minor stuff to get a player for Syracuse, but I don't see additions or substractions from the roster.

We might swoop in at the last second and lowball somebody when all their suitors have bought help elsewhere.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Same noise. I don't think it actually means anything. We check on everybody available, it seems. I could see us taking a swing at the end of the day if the price drops drastically.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Shannon also said CBJ is still open to moving Panarin IF they can get pieces that'll help them right now.

That sounds like the Sky plan to me. Miller +. Make it happen JBB. :p

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
In general there should be interest. Young, big and talented RD. But he's got a $5.4M cap hit for 3 more years after this season. Not sure JBB is looking to handcuff us in that way before other pieces (Point, Vas) are taken care of.

With Hedman and Sergachev, the last thing we need is an offensive dman, especially one with a questionable level of defensive ability.

If you're talking about Risto, I am guessing his defense will improve if you shave off 5 minutes a night and place him next to a competent defensive partner.

I share those same concerns about Risto.

1. $5.4M cap hit for 3 more years when we have to sign some big contracts for Point and Vasy. People kept saying that we could afford this or that because we have 3 UFA d-men coming off the books. Well, $5.4M would eat up a good bit of that projected cap space and would be locked in for three more years. Sure, we could treat him as a rental and flip him, but JBB/Yzerman do not seem to think that way very often.

2. Who he would pair with would be a big question. Heddy works best with a more defensively minded partner who lets him roam free to burn villages. Pairing Risto with Mac would probably cover the 'competent defensive partner' but that would boot Cernak who has not only performed admirably (plus with a physical edge that is great to see!) but who will be cheap for the next few years. Pairing Risto with Sergachev would, I think, be the same problem as putting him with Heddy in that Sergachev is even MORE in need of a defensively solid partner. Besides, $5.4 M is kinda expensive for a third pairing guy.

3. I don't think it's that great an idea to bring in a defenseman at the TDL. Mac is living proof that it takes a while for even an excellent defenseman to get up to speed with a new system/teammates. Would Risto really make us that much better right away??

:dunno:

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Hopefully no big moves today. I am all for adding even more depth at low ball offers, though. Simmonds for a third - that sounds great after much reflection.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Boston is looking at Eric Staal, per Friedman.

...Okay that one scares me.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
aLl In On StOnE

If Boston creates a legit second line, they could be a handful, I think. Right now they're carried hard by that top line, and I think we'd shut them down again. But if they added, say, Staal and Panarin? Panarin and Stone? ...Well...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad