GDT: 2018-19 NHL Trade Deadline | Feb. 25, 2019 | 3:00pm ET | 21:00 CET

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Bob McKenzie during the 1st intermission of tonight's game:

"I think it's fair to say general manager Julien Brisebois woke up Monday morning deadline day and was pretty sure he wasn't going to be making any deals that day. Not for lack of trying he did make some phone calls, he did kick some tires, but the reality is from early to mid January the general manager of the Lightning along with head coach Jon Cooper, they basically challenged the players of the Lightning to really button things down defensively. At that time in early to mid January they were 17th in the league in goals against and now they're a top 5 team I believe. If I'm not mistaken they're number 3 in the league in goals against. They've been on a remarkable defensive tear since that challenge was issued to the players and because the team has played so well and they've responded so well to that challenge, Brisebois wasn't apposed to making the team better if he could, but he also didn't want to mess too much with chemistry if it was just a hail-mary type of deal. ... So I think there's been a little bit of an allegiance to the players because they've responded so well to the challenge that was issued to them in January and as such they didn't make a deal on Monday."

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
of all the players traded, Granlund is the one who would have fit the best, especially next to Stammer. Didn't know he was available, wonder if they had talks about him at all. Probably would've been real tough with his cap hit though.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Watching Stralman lately I really feel like it was a mistake we didn’t go after a defenseman. Our rightside is about to be abused badly in the playoffs.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Watching Stralman lately I really feel like it was a mistake we didn’t go after a defenseman. Our rightside is about to be abused badly in the playoffs.
Yeah Strals and Serg got totally abused by the Bruins. Cernak did alright.
While it was on the tail end of a B2B and the 3rd game in 4 nights (and 2 of them went to OT/SO) the RD side was (and still is) the one thing I would have liked us to improve although I totally understand why we stood pat. Options weren't great, prices were high.

"Girardi to the rescue! :help:"

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Meh, let them cook. Getting up or down after a game in February is stupid, but fans are fans.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Got to laugh at some Bruins fans now. I remember the same was said when we faced them in the play offs because they had beaten us every time we played them, we all had the last laugh. 1 result doesn’t affect the season we are having.

hagg18

Dec 8, 2007
Yeah Strals and Serg got totally abused by the Bruins. Cernak did alright.
While it was on the tail end of a B2B and the 3rd game in 4 nights (and 2 of them went to OT/SO) the RD side was (and still is) the one thing I would have liked us to improve although I totally understand why we stood pat. Options weren't great, prices were high.

"Girardi to the rescue! :help:"

I agree that we could have used some upgrade on RD. But after this game against the Bruins I think it's someone for the third pair we needed.

I'm a big fan of Strals and thought he played a good game with Hedman vs. Bruins. I was really disapointed when Cernak was pair with Hedman, Coburn with Mac and Serg with Strals, in the 2:nd and 3:d period. I couldn't see why, until I saw how awful Serg was in his own end. He was running arround like a headless chicken and didn't really cover anyone. You can't do that against a team like Bruins. That's why they put Strals to babysit Serg.

Coop tried to put Serg and Coburn back together in the third. Strals and Hedman had a great shift right away keeping the puck in the Bruins zone for over a minuite and creating a lot of chances. But Serg and Coburn sucked and forced Dom to save the game for us several times. Then he tried Hedman with Serg after 2-0 and it was a disaster leading up to 3-0. Serg has a great offence, but against a team like Bruins I'd like him to sit. But at the same time I wouldn't want G out there either, since it limits our offence.

Strals isn't flashy and usually doesn't make the big plays, but doesn't make many mistakes, cover his guy and is making it easy for his partner. IMO Hedman plays his best game playing with Strals.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->