League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
ok....I love the Whalers gear that Carolina is wearing. Not sure what got into them to do that but playing in Boston in Whale green and then watching the game get dirty from the start. Brilliant idea
Once known as the New England Whalers when they were a WHA team perhaps.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Not sure what your point is. I know who the Hartford Whalers were.
Returning to their roots "Originally based in Boston, the team joined the WHA in the league's inaugural season, and was known as the New England Whalers throughout its time in the WHA. The Whalers moved to Hartford in 1974 and joined the NHL in the NHL–WHA merger of 1979."

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Not very impressive wins from either the Jackets or the Isles (and Lehner may be hurt for Isles). Isles give up a 2-goal lead to Ottawa in the 3rd. All night, their D looked pretty suspect handling the puck in their own zone. Jackets offense was anemic, and they were outshot 30-18 by the Devils.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Thanks @BiPolar Caps for enlighting some of us.

David Backes is a stud. "Backes confirmed recent meeting with Cassidy about his overall play and has chosen to adopt a fighter/enforcer role. Wants to be vital contributor —sees this as way to keep roster spot. Dismisses concussion risk."

I think that's 3 fights in 4 games.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Thanks @BiPolar Caps for enlighting some of us.

David Backes is a stud. "Backes confirmed recent meeting with Cassidy about his overall play and has chosen to adopt a fighter/enforcer role. Wants to be vital contributor —sees this as way to keep roster spot. Dismisses concussion risk."

I think that's 3 fights in 4 games.

That's just incredibly dumb. I mean i get standing up to your teammates and that but he should stay far away from the true heavyweights. The guy has 3 concussions in the last 3 years. I don't know how many he has overally. He's also a pretty bad fighter. I get that he wants to stay in the line-up and propably feels this is what he thinks he needs to do but as a fan i'm not sure where is the benefit in him getting his face caved in by the likes of Haley and Ferland who know how to fight, just to act like an enforcer.

Reactions: um

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
That's just incredibly dumb. I mean i get standing up to your teammates and that but he should stay far away from the true heavyweights. The guy has 3 concussions in the last 3 years. I don't know how many he has overally. He's also a pretty bad fighter. I get that he wants to stay in the line-up and propably feels this is what he thinks he needs to do but as a fan i'm not sure where is the benefit in him getting his face caved in by the likes of Haley and Ferland who know how to fight, just to act like an enforcer.

Agreed. I get it for guys trying to make the big show... but he's already made millions.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I was responding to what you had written "Not sure what got into them to do that but playing in Boston in Whale green". I interpreted your remark as if you were wondering what the motivation or reasoning was for them to select/play in the retro jerseys of the Whalers and I responded. We'll end it there.

Carolina Hurricanes Will Wear Hartford Whalers Jerseys In Boston Vs. Bruins On Tuesday Night

Not sure what gave them the idea to throwback to the Whalers. Teams that moved from other locations rarely acknowledge that team much less dress up like them.
It was clear to me why the Bruins wanted the Canes in Whale gear. I think that was the disconnect

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Not sure what gave them the idea to throwback to the Whalers. Teams that moved from other locations rarely acknowledge that team much less dress up like them.
It was clear to me why the Bruins wanted the Canes in Whale gear. I think that was the disconnect
What gave them the idea???

Playing a New England team in New England in throwback New England Whalers unis.

Is this thing on?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What gave them the idea???

Playing a New England team in New England in throwback New England Whalers unis.

Is this thing on?

Stop. Hit the reset. What gave them the idea to throwback to the Whalers?? THAT!!!! Is my question. Playing as the Whalers in Boston is obvious. You do know that Carolina is playing home games like that. Right?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Aside form the jersey issue, I was unaware of the controversy or Jack Edwards' controversy of Doug Hamilton wearing the retired number of John McKenzie #19. Other retired Whalers numbers were #2 for Rick Ley and #9 for Gordie Howe. I have to agree with Edwards on this, once a jersey number has been retired it should stay retired with that team no matter if the team re-locates and changes it's name. It's still part of the team history, no matter where they move to or call themselves.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Can't studs be dumb?

Cassidy and their dumbass GM are the ones that are being incredibly dumb.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Reactions: Sam Spade

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Can't studs be dumb?

Cassidy and their dumbass GM are the ones that are being incredibly dumb.

It's stupid to even ask that but it's still him that's making the decisions. ~52 million in career earnings so far, and he has ~14 million more coming his way. Is it really worth it to risk your long-term health to stay in the 4th line? Especially since he's a terrible fighter to begin with.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's stupid to even ask that but it's still him that's making the decisions. ~52 million in career earnings so far, and he has ~14 million more coming his way. Is it really worth it to risk your long-term health to stay in the 4th line? Especially since he's a terrible fighter to begin with.

All good points. Let's call him fearless. Maybe a bit like Oshie. Cut from the warrior mold.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Aside form the jersey issue, I was unaware of the controversy or Jack Edwards' controversy of Doug Hamilton wearing the retired number of John McKenzie #19. Other retired Whalers numbers were #2 for Rick Ley and #9 for Gordie Howe. I have to agree with Edwards on this, once a jersey number has been retired it should stay retired with that team no matter if the team re-locates and changes it's name. It's still part of the team history, no matter where they move to or call themselves.

This would be a reason not to do this. So, would you rather they did it like they did it or just not do it?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Stop. Hit the reset. What gave them the idea to throwback to the Whalers?? THAT!!!! Is my question. Playing as the Whalers in Boston is obvious. You do know that Carolina is playing home games like that. Right?
The new owner stated when he took over the team that he wanted to do this to honor the history of the franchise or some shit. It's a merchandising/marketing ploy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad