League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
Do we all agree Djoos is most likely the odd man out w.r.t. our defence logjam?

He's the best of them right now but he has the lowest ceiling due to his size. I would try to trade him in the offseason.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England

He's the best of them right now but he has the lowest ceiling due to his size. I would try to trade him in the offseason.
Any news on his injury?

Sounded pretty serious....

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Djoos will miss most of the year, then next year Orpik will probably retire, then Niskanen is probably gone, then you’ve got the expansion draft where you’ll probably lose another defenseman, and that’s just attrition I see coming, I don’t see a logjam.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
Toronto fans are the worst. It didn't take long for them to become utterly unbearable without even a playoff series win to back it up.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Djoos will miss most of the year, then next year Orpik will probably retire, then Niskanen is probably gone, then you’ve got the expansion draft where you’ll probably lose another defenseman, and that’s just attrition I see coming, I don’t see a logjam.
With the immergence of Siegenthaler and a couple of left handed dmen prospects Djoos could end up being the odd man out. He probably has the least upside of our prospects. Because of injuries we could end up dealing for a dman which might drop Djoos even more.
I dont think he is our best young dman right now. Bowey has taken big strides and I think has passed him and Siegenthaler isnt far behind.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

It was not that long ago where the Capitals used 10+ defenseman one season.

This is Orpik's last season. You can never have enough depth at this position. I compare defensive depth in hockey to starting pitcher depth in baseball where team's in baseball will routinely have 8 or more different starters during the season. Not a Nats fan and I somewhat understand it from a financial point of view, but I'm still scratching my head over the Tanner Roark trade. Have a feeling that the Roark trade might come back to bite them just as moving a 650K LD who has SC experience.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
It was not that long ago where the Capitals used 10+ defenseman one season.

This is Orpik's last season. You can never have enough depth at this position. I compare defensive depth in hockey to starting pitcher depth in baseball where team's in baseball will routinely have 8 or more different starters during the season. Not a Nats fan and I somewhat understand it from a financial point of view, but I'm still scratching my head over the Tanner Roark trade. Have a feeling that the Roark trade might come back to bite them just as moving a 650K LD who has SC experience.
For real, Pens fans are arguing they didn't lose the Sprong/Pettersson because they needed a 3rd pairing defenseman more than a 25 goal scorer.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Lucic has 2 goals in his last 81 games played and has gone 34 straight games without a goal.

When do the Oilers walk away from that brutal contract?

Watched their game last night, and they talked about how Hitch loves his play and really likes having him as a leadership guy.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Damn so many teams who were heading in the positive direction have taken a massive hit by taking gambles on top UFA's.

So much cap space going right into the toilet. I think Capitals should be really happy that they don't really have any bad contracts right now. Atleast for this season.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Damn so many teams who were heading in the positive direction have taken a massive hit by taking gambles on top UFA's.

So much cap space going right into the toilet. I think Capitals should be really happy that they don't really have any bad contracts right now. Atleast for this season.
Calgary might have signed the worst deal in free agency and is the most improved team in the league.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Calgary might have signed the worst deal in free agency and is the most improved team in the league.

I meant long-term. You can still build a good team even if you have cap tied on under-performing players. Calgary also plays in a terrible division. You don't think they have holes they would rather want to fill than have ~7m tied to James Neal and Troy Brouwer?

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I meant long-term. You can still build a good team even if you have cap tied on under-performing players. Calgary also plays in a terrible division. You don't think they have holes they would rather want to fill than have ~7m tied to James Neal and Troy Brouwer?
Oh sure it's hilarious they bought out Brouwer to sign basically the same player but when the Caps signed Orpik I thought it was going to be this albatross and it worked out fine, sometimes the negative impact of bad contracts get overblown.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Oh sure it's hilarious they bought out Brouwer to sign basically the same player but when the Caps signed Orpik I thought it was going to be this albatross and it worked out fine, sometimes the negative impact of bad contracts get overblown.

At worst it would have been 1 year of ablatrossing. The Caps were pretty clear that they wanted that specific player for a list of reasons and it appears to me that it worked glowingly. It might have taken a season or two of extra heartbreak to get there but I am confident that one of the reasons this team didn't crack under the stress of failure was 44

Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->